Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How foreignersf daily lives change when they live in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How foreignersf daily lives change when they live in Japan

Which of these re...er... amusing answers do you feel is the most re...er..silliest?

Mine goes to: "I got used to being treated as a foreigner. (American man)"

The rest:

\I have become addicted to tissues. (American living in Hokkaido)

gWhen I first came to Japan, I avoided people who were distributing pocket tissues. However, now I collect them whenever it starts to get cold outside. In fact, I am uncomfortable if I donft have tissues in my pocket when I leave the house.h
    \I started to sleep on the floor. (Canadian)
    \I got used to the unavoidable humidity on July, and say gIfm sorryh when I hit bump into people accidentally, and keep pushing the Open button in elevators when I get to my floor. (American living in Korea)
    \I take my shoes off inside the house obviously. (American living in Tokyo)
    \I cannot live without five finger socks. (American man)
    \I still take my shoes off at the door when I return to my home country and I go to the convenience store 8 times a day. (Danish man)
    \I spend more money than before. I feel like everything is an adventure here. (Englishman, 36)
    \I serve green tea when a guest comes, eat soba noodles at the station every morning. I have changed my life to adapt to the train schedule. I have started sorting the trash out into burnable and non-burnable. (Frenchman)
    \I take a hot bath every night. (American man)
    \I got used to eating rice with most meals. Now I love it! (French woman)
    \I got used to being treated as a foreigner. (American man)

gJapanese women became interested in me and people touch my long blond hair.h
    \I got used to living in a small apartment. (American woman)
    \I no longer drive a car and eat less meat and fewer snacks. (American man from U.S. Midwest)
    \I think before talking, have become humble and am satisfied easily even at the small things in my life. (Austrian man)
    \I carry a dictionary everywhere and am more tolerant. (American living in Japan for 15 years)
    \I lost my sense of humor, became perverted, I sleep in trains, became addicted to vending machines, stopped going for a walk to smoke. I have become serious about everything. (Dutchman)
    \I pay more attention to my appearance than before, and I walk and read more than before. (American man living in Tokyo)
    \I got used to speaking simple English slowly, I spend a long time taking a hot bath and I bow slightly when I apologize or out of appreciation. (American woman)
    \I can sleep easily. (Belgian man)
    \I eat breakfast properly. (Mexican man)
    gI used to drink only orange juice or coffee for breakfast before.h
    \I cannot live without green tea. (Finnish woman)
    \My height is 194cm, so I am careful not to hit my head anywhere. I use the air conditioner in summer. I donft go to friendsf houses or invite them to mine. (French man)
    \gIt is usual to invite people over in France, but in Japan, I found it is more usual to hang out outside. Eating out is cheap in Japan.h
    \I walk on the left side of the road. (American man)
    \I eat less than before. (Canadian man)
    gNow, I cannot eat a whole meal when I go out for dinner back in Canada.h
    \I lost 15 kg in an year. (American man)
    \I have fewer dislikes when it comes to food. I have even started eating raw fish. (Mexican woman)
    Last edited by Hijinx; 2012-03-11, 07:20 PM.

I got used to people who thought they would never get used to anything different from their own culture....

I shall never get used to the people who do not think there is anything other than their own culture .... countless hours of fun there...

Comment

I pee more squatting down - and in other positions I never dreamed of!

Comment

Amusing. Some other classics:

- I seem to say "yoisho" every time I exert myself.
        - I turn on my hazards to thank you when another car lets me into traffic.
        - [napping on public transport and] somehow being able to wake up right before my stop.
        - I stick my chopsticks back in the paper holder (if it came in one) and fold over the bottom when I finish eating.
        - [Drinking in public.] I took to that like stink on shit from day one. It remains my favorite thing about this country.
        Last edited by iago; 2012-01-26, 04:50 PM.

Comment

I brush my teeth with the fancy bidet functions.

I no longer speak for fear of upsetting the WA.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
            - [Drinking in public.] I took to that like stink on shit from day one. It remains my favorite thing about this country.

Wait a minute..you can drink in public?!
            As in a sipping beer can just walking around about town?

I HAVE BEEN DUPED!!!
            Grr..

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
              Wait a minute..you can drink in public?!
              As in a sipping beer can just walking around about town?

I HAVE BEEN DUPED!!!
              Grr..
              I ____ more in public, too, after walking around with a tall boy in my hand and 5 others in my backpack...

Comment

I got paranoid coz people stared. I sometimes felt really, really paranoid.

^This is my answer and I think it's quite retarded.
                Last edited by Hellzingki; 2012-01-28, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellzingki View Post
                  I got paranoid coz people stared. I sometimes felt really, really paranoid.

^This is my answer and I think it's quite retarded.
                  That's why gaijin wear sunglasses more often and more places than they would normally--stare protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                    That's why gaijin wear sunglasses more often and more places than they would normally--stare protection.
                    Get the one's that cover peripheral vision.
                    I think I don't need to explain why.

But speaking of getting stared at:

When you are a freakishly large person. Not fun.
                    And I'm a runner, so in some places I startle people, esp. during morning commute.
                    Probably not the best time to run.

The worst are school kids. It seems that they will say exactly what they are thinking and point!

I don't know what they say, but I imagine it's something akin to:

"Hey! look! It's a monster!"

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii
                      My daily live changed when I decided to follow Jesus.
                      You were stalking Jesus? What kind of places did he go? Soapland?

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                        You were stalking Jesus? What kind of places did he go? Soapland?
                        Jesus? Hey I know him! That's the dude who makes some kick-a$$ tacos down the street here in L.A.!
                        I LOVE THAT GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii
                          My daily live changed when I decided to follow Jesus.

I have got the nails. someone needs to get the lumber and the crown of thorns....

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                            ...I don't know what they say, but I imagine it's something akin to:

"Hey! look! It's a monster!"
                            turn around and look behind you and say, "Doko??"

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                              I have got the nails. someone needs to get the lumber and the crown of thorns....
                              Crown of thorns are a plenty these days--they're taking over the reefs.

Comment

Working...
                              X