Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Sophia University vs Temple University Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
    Probably because he did the same things when he was at college. I know my kids will probably party and join clubs but as long as they pass their courses I don't have a problem with it. I have known cases where parents pulled their kids out of university because they were failing too many courses. All Im saying is keep your eye on the ball and know what you are going there for.
    Yup, good old pops had an outstanding time in uni, I suspect. He also had a heck of a career. I agree that knowing what they are going there for is important. But perhaps we might disagree on the content of the "what". Academics is just part of the mix. A university is an organization much like any other. How we work our way in, out, through and between things is a huge part of the learning that will have very practical applications in a career. The difference between successfully picking up an intelligent woman in a college bar and smoozing ones way successfully through a job interview are slight...

Comment

Originally posted by jsmooth23 View Post
      So who ever knows which is better Sophia/Jochi or Temple as far as education, girls, the people, having fun, cost, dorms environment and anything else useful that would help me thankyou.
      To what extent is Temple is responsible for each of these and to what extent are you responsible for your own enjoyment of the experience? When I was an undergrad, I went out and made my own fun, my own friends and did not rely on Temple or my college to provide these for me.

My guess is kids of bicultural families attend Temple, they live at home, and I don't know whether or not temple has a hostel for freshmen, may pay to write them and ask. You can choose who you want to associate with. One of the joys of college life is that you become independent and you learn to "do your own thing" even if that means getting blotto at college parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansony View Post
        Indeed, learning was not directly mentioned. He didn't ask, so I didn't offer any thoughts on it. If he feels like partying for 4 years, then that is his choice. I don't think it is a Potter's obligation to offer advice or mentorship on things that the OP didn't ask about...though some here do seem to feel obliged to do just that. What fun is going into university with your eyes wide open? He will figure out once in where and how he wants to divide his time. As an undergrad, I started 40% party/40% women/20% academics and then gradually shifted more towards academics by years 3 and 4...and I even got into graduated school...3 times.

And here we are talking about him like he's not even here....
        Uh...I said education which means learning right? Also you guys don't know me, thanks for the advice but yea I'm going to party, but school comes first and I get my priorities before I will go out and partying. You and KansaiBen don't know me so don't act like you guys do.

Comment

Uh...I said education which means learning right? Also you guys don't know me, thanks for the advice but yea I'm going to party, but school comes first and I get my priorities before I will go out and partying. You and KansaiBen don't know me so don't act like you guys do.
          Sorry jsmooth23, at that point in the conversation I believe we had moved on to principles rather than you personally. Thread highjacking is pretty common around here. I didn't have you down as a party hound, but the point being, it would be no big deal if you were. People approach university in their own way, as no doubt you will too. I hope it all goes well.
          Last edited by Ansony; 2012-03-09, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Also you guys don't know me,
            Once could simply be bad luck..................

You and KansaiBen don't know me so don't act like you guys do.
            But twice can only be retardation.

ARE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poo your bum, you stoopid Poopy Pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total PWn@jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jj

LaWLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I suppose I should have known from your university choices you would be at best a plebby Ameridumb party prole.

Why not just get a trade???

People of your low breeding and defective mental abilities usually do better working your backs than your minds.

Comment

So how does one quantify which school is "better"? Which school has "hotter" girls? Which has "better" parties? Which has "better" dorms?

What exactly do you want people to tell you based largely on their own subjective opinions and biases? I can only give you my own viewpoint as a former graduate of the the Osaka campus, I know nothing about Tokyo. It is unlikely you will get any further feedback of value here on studying as an undergrad. You will simply have to throw the chips where they may and go for it. You also need to decide whether you want a Japanese Bachelors degree or an American one and live with your choices, rather than expecting other people to make up your mind for you. It's your money, you decide how you best want to spend it. Thats all I can say.

PS My experience of Temple is that they tend to be more demanding in terms of coursework, completing assignments on time and actually studying. With Japanese universities by and large all you have to do is turn up, and Sophia wont fail you because they need your tuition money more than you need them. You have to imagine you are back in Philadephia and they wont let you graduate unless you actually put the work in.
              Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-09, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                So how does one quantify which school is "better"? Which school has "hotter" girls? Which has "better" parties? Which has "better" dorms?
                Given the variables your offered and going back to my day:

Better School = Parties with hot girls that end up in your dorm.

That was easy. Come on KB, give us a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansony View Post
                  Better School = Parties with hot girls that end up in your dorm.

That was easy. Come on KB, give us a tough one.
                  Judging by the other thread about foreigners getting laid (or not) in Japan, I would not hold my breath too long on that happening in this lifetime.

Compared to the US parties here tend to be pretty tame affairs anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X