Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Reprimanding train passengers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
    Maybe one or two weeks ago, I was on the train standing beside a quite pregnant woman, with no one moving for her. This was on the Yokohama subway line, where all seats are priority seats. I said to her 'it must be tiring standing up when you are pregnant eh?' The guy sitting in front of us looked up, saw her, then gave her his seat.
    Very effective and very nice

I remember an incident when I was standing on the train, carrying a sleeping child. I was tired and my arms were aching, but noone had given me a seat.
    A well-dressed western guy got on the train, gave me this wonderful cheeky grin and starting talking to me (fairly loudly) in Japanese
    "omoi desu ne" "taihen desu ne" etc, etc

I grinned back at him and responded and we had a very pleasant conversation - all in Japanese - about children and how lovely they are, but how heavy they are when they fall asleep at inconvenient times.

About 3 people noticed and jumped up to give me a seat

I have since done the same thing to help others.

Comment

I've been in that position, standing on the train holding a sleeping kid, and no one moves. Part of the problem is that I'm a pretty big guy, so I probably look like I'm fine carrying my boy, but it doesn't matter how big I am, he's heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
        I've been in that position, standing on the train holding a sleeping kid, and no one moves. Part of the problem is that I'm a pretty big guy, so I probably look like I'm fine carrying my boy, but it doesn't matter how big I am, he's heavy.
        Pick a small looking person and sit down on them. Just pretend you didn't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
          Pick a small looking person and sit down on them. Just pretend you didn't notice.
          That reminds me of a WW2 story. Just after the war in Europe had ended a bunch of people were in a packed train, all dead tired, I think the camps had just been opened and survivors were moving out. Anyway, on one of these trains packed with Jews and Slavs, a guy calls out 'I'm German! I'm German! give me a seat! I can't stand any more!' After a while of this one guy, a Jew, finally gives in and says '' I'll give you 10 minutes. That's all! So the German sits down. But after 10 minutes he wouldn't stand up so the Jew sits on him. When the journey was finished the German was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
            Um... they're *all* small...

Comment

Working...
            X