Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Reprimanding train passengers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reprimanding train passengers.

...I tend not to do it as much as I should because I feel that as a foreigner I may be seen as a gaijin ahole telling the Jfolk how they should behave. Plus my Japanese isn't really up to

"Hey...mother and sproglets, I know you've had a hard day shopping but how about getting off the special seats for the 89 year old dude over there?"

At home it would be about 1 word and then a time of compliance of about 7 seconds and then the old dude would have a seat whether or not he wanted it.
    Because..ya know? You should stand up for the aged.

So, what would be the best way to go about that?

Why thank you youngster, however that mom and those sprogs have just as much rights to those special seats as us oldsters do. If you read the sticker in the window it explains it. And some of the jiji`s and oba`s tend to fake their need to sit down. Have you ever really watched some of them, some of them have got goddamn talent, I`m telling you.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
      Why thank you youngster, however that mom and those sprogs have just as much rights to those special seats as us oldsters do. If you read the sticker in the window it explains it. And some of the jiji`s and oba`s tend to fake their need to sit down. Have you ever really watched some of them, some of them have got goddamn talent, I`m telling you.
      Yeah I know...if they are little kids and all but these were a mom around 38 and 2 quite able boys aged around 7 and 9 (sitting, eating candy) and the dude was at least 80.
      I feel bad now... I should have moved them. then, that's the problem.. a white guy getting 2 Jkids to move for an ancient Jguy....
      For real the ancient dude could have used a seat more than them but a whitey moving them for him...hmmmm.
      They should have just fkn moved of their own accord (They were in the old/preg/disabled seats. No right to be there when Oji is standing.)
      And it shouldn't be up to me at at all right? I would not expect a Japanese worker in my own country to take charge of rude people.
      I wouldn't resent but I imagine many would.

Comment

I have to agree with backdoor on this. A lot of those olds are a lot tougher and sterdier than the younger generation.

However I do understand how you feel. I have a broken leg at the moment and getting around on crutches is hard but nobody on the train gives a shit. To make things easier for myself I use the bus as much as I can. Nobody says anything when you go to the front of the line when you're on crutches.

Comment

I try to lead by example, and make a point of giving up my seat to old folks. That said, I've also made teenagers get out of the priority seats when there are seniors standing around without a seat (and I don't have one either). They don't like it, but they still move.

Comment

Don't get angry at them. Go up to them and whisper, so that the old man doesn't realise, politely asking them to give one of their seats away.

I have done that a few times with success - for pregnant women with 'Baby in me' badges, too.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
              Yeah I know...if they are little kids and all but these were a mom around 38 and 2 quite able boys aged around 7 and 9 (sitting, eating candy) and the dude was at least 80.
              I feel bad now... I should have moved them. then, that's the problem.. a white guy getting 2 Jkids to move for an ancient Jguy....
              For real the ancient dude could have used a seat more than them but a whitey moving them for him...hmmmm.
              They should have just fkn moved of their own accord (They were in the old/preg/disabled seats. No right to be there when Oji is standing.)
              And it shouldn't be up to me at at all right? I would not expect a Japanese worker in my own country to take charge of rude people.
              I wouldn't resent but I imagine many would.
              You could've swept the geezer off his feet and cradled him in your arms if you were that concerned for his comfort. Or hoisted him onto the overhead rack for a lie-down. That's what I do because I have genuine compassion for those old farts. You, on the other hand, merely feign indignation at Japanese train-riding culture when in fact what you're really lamenting is how YOU get treated in this country and how impotent you are to do anything about it despite obviously being such a noble breed. Today's lesson:'Priority seats and how the Japanese are regrettably inferior to me, example # 1,718.' I'm sure Hijinx or some other like-minded c*nt will chip in a few examples of his own and then you'll have your whinge party. That's all you really want and coincidentally all you're capable of...

Comment

Originally posted by Andun View Post
                I have to agree with backdoor on this. A lot of those olds are a lot tougher and sterdier than the younger generation.

However I do understand how you feel. I have a broken leg at the moment and getting around on crutches is hard but nobody on the train gives a shit. To make things easier for myself I use the bus as much as I can. Nobody says anything when you go to the front of the line when you're on crutches.
                Crutches should be banned on trains, especially during peak hours. Why do others have to be inconvenienced because some ski bum falls off a mountain? If your presence is so desperately needed somewhere at 8 AM learn to crawl, babe.

And any arsehole can cut in line in this country - I do it all the time without the aid of crutches.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                  I try to lead by example, and make a point of giving up my seat to old folks. That said, I've also made teenagers get out of the priority seats when there are seniors standing around without a seat (and I don't have one either). They don't like it, but they still move.
                  Wow, give this man a Subway hero sandwich! You're twice the man twelvedown could ever be, I think you've made that crystal clear. Was that the idea? I find a lot of self-admiration in your posts which is somewhat disturbing because you're, uh, very weird.

Quick example - when somebody pointed out (yesterday, I think) that you act like Glenn Close whenever KB posts you were quick to point out that on those rare occasions when KB actually says something that you deem acceptable you're not afraid to agree with him. And then lo and behold a few posts later there you are agreeing with KB for no other reason than to demonstrate what a fair-minded guy you really are...Sick stuff although I doubt you're even aware of the lengths you go to prop yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                    Don't get angry at them. Go up to them and whisper, so that the old man doesn't realise, politely asking them to give one of their seats away.

I have done that a few times with success - for pregnant women with 'Baby in me' badges, too.
                    Psss, I disagree. How will you get any gratitude if the old man doesn't know you went to bat for him? I don't know about you but posting about it to my peers on Gaijinpot isn't enough for me. Whenever I police the priority seats, I loudly check IDs and the bellies of those 'baby in me' women to make sure the fetus is still breathing or even exists. Some girls try to fool us gaijin by pretending to be pregnant. Not on my watch!

Comment

When I'm in the special seats, I have a good look at the icon with the big belly...then I look at my own belly...then I go to sleep...

Got to get your priorities right!

Comment

Originally posted by Piethrower View Post
                        Psss, I disagree. How will you get any gratitude if the old man doesn't know you went to bat for him? I don't know about you but posting about it to my peers on Gaijinpot isn't enough for me. Whenever I police the priority seats, I loudly check IDs and the bellies of those 'baby in me' women to make sure the fetus is still breathing or even exists. Some girls try to fool us gaijin by pretending to be pregnant. Not on my watch!
                        It's not about receiving gratitude. It's a method that I have known to work. If the old man knew about it, he would most definitely refuse the seat, even though he really needs to sit down. It's a cultural thing.

Comment

Originally posted by thefg
                          seriously why dont you guys mind your own businesses?

typical rude gaijins

wind your knecks in.
                          sometimes it is just too easy to "mind you own business". I believe in making the world a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by thefg
                            which you clearly don't get given that your behaviour would have embarrassed and disturbed everyone including the old man
                            You don't get it?

1. The old man is best not to know.

2. The people sitting down NEED to know and need to be aware of the people around them sometimes. If they feel embarrassed, good. Hopefully they'll remember their embarrassment and look out for others next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                              sometimes it is just too easy to "mind you own business". I believe in making the world a better place.

Well-intentioned sentiments for sure, but the other argument coming out here is that your 'better world' of gaijin right things to do, might not be the 'better world' of those native Japanese on the receiving end of a gaijin's unwanted cross-cultural interference.

Comment

Working...
                              X