Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Becoming a zen monk in Japan...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
    What's up with all those people wanting to become a (zen) monk?
    It's an authority issue.
    As in, I am a Zen Monk, therefore I have the authority to be on the path, and furthermore, I know what I'm doing.
    As a true any Zen "Master" (another joke!) will tell you, it's a load of hogwash for reasons most people do not care to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by kheran View Post
      Well as a layperson you still have to go back to work and make money so that you can afford a car,a house,food...while when becoming a monk you are tied to the monastery and you do physical effort,sleep less,but you know that you'll stay forever there.You gain a feeling of safety and calm,unlike living in the modern world where your dreams are changing from month to month.
      As a monk you live a monotonous life and a bit isolated from the modern world,which i like more than being a layperson who has to live in a busy city and always in search for progress.
      As a person who has spent large swaths of his life studying Buddhism, I will say this:
      Enlightenment is no different than everyday life; There's simply an understanding.
      The busy materialistic world is no different from the aesthetic world.
      Living the life of a Monk cloistered away from the world or at the heart of a bustling complex,
      the world remains the same.
      Perhaps you are looking to build something within yourself in an official way.
      However the fact of the matter is, that all you require is that which you already posses,
      and the things you are seeking are already there in front of you, staring you right in your face.

And now, I am off to drink beer and fart.

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
        I would disagree. God is everywhere... just look around you.
        And in the mirror too.

You: Cheeky Ba$tard!
        Me: Stop playing at God!
        You: Fine! I will if YOU will!
        Me: What?! No YOU first!
        You: No you!
        Me: Grr! You impossible twit!
        You: Cat-lover!
        Me: How DARE YOU! a pox of festooning boils upon you!
        You: May you wake up tomorrow with... Curry pants!

Me: Hey..This game is kind of fun! Carry on!
        You: I will!
        Me: You mean, we will!
        You and Me: Indeed!
        They: Can we play too?
        Them: Of course! We thought we'd never ask us!

Comment

Originally posted by kheran View Post
          That's why I'm asking on this forum...do I have to make a donation to the temple to accept me as an apprentice,or if I pass their tests they will welcome me free.
          I'm sorry if i misunderstood...but i thought that by becoming an apprentice they will give you some work to do in exchange for a bed and food(like cooking,washing,planting vegetables or other physical labours).
          It's explained at the link I gave above. I repost it for your convenience :

www.antaiji.dogen-zen.de/

Comment

Ring the Bell

You can save money on the food bill by studying sokushinbutsu in Yamagata.

Comment

Go ahead sock puppets! Zen is waiting for you!

Comment

Question:

If a zen monk is very religious, is a zen zen monk not at all religious...?

Comment

Originally posted by harryhurry View Post
                  question:

If a zen monk is very religious, is a zen zen monk not at all religious...?:d
                  ‚³‚Þ‚ÁII
                  BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                    As a person who has spent large swaths of his life studying Buddhism, I will say this:
                    Enlightenment is no different than everyday life; There's simply an understanding.
                    The busy materialistic world is no different from the aesthetic world.
                    Living the life of a Monk cloistered away from the world or at the heart of a bustling complex,
                    the world remains the same.
                    Perhaps you are looking to build something within yourself in an official way.
                    However the fact of the matter is, that all you require is that which you already posses,
                    and the things you are seeking are already there in front of you, staring you right in your face.

And now, I am off to drink beer and fart.
                    Thanks for the advice.As you said the things i am seeking may already be in front of me...I'll study more about Buddhism and also try to find some new friends with common interests.Perhaps this wish of becoming a "Monk cloistered away from the world" was generated because of the society I live in,so I thought that by going to a monastery I will work,sleep,learn with those that share some of my interests.
                    Anyway thanks to all for answering and having patience with me

Comment

OP, I feel this temple is the one for you...

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
                        Question:

If a zen monk is very religious, is a zen zen monk not at all religious...?
                        Itai!! Itai!!

This thread is crying out for a bit of Uncle Rice's Wisdom.......................

bang a gong................

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                          bang a gong................
                          Get it on................

Comment

Working...
                          X