Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Difficult to Keep Paleo Diet in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
    So...basically the way most Japanese people eat, minus the rice.
    Which, in my family, we eat about 5-600 grams anyway.
    The kids eat anko-pan sometimes, and we love curry.

The rest is natto, veggies, greens, tubers, fruit fish, eggs and red meat once a week.
    Lots of miso products such as Tofu.
    and some other healthy junk.

But sorry, won't give up beer.
    I drink sometimes too.
    Asian people might find it easier to metabolize rice than others. Different peoples have different types of metabolisms. If you come from a people that has been farming for 10,000 yrs you might do very well on a high-carb diet.
    Tofu, however, is poison as well as most soy products...one serving has almost as much estrogen-like compounds as an estrogen supplement. It is poison for men and boys.

PS however I agree that Japanese diet MAY be ideal...for example sushi and some other root stews are really great...but it bankrupts me to eat sushi...though now I find cheap sushi at supermarket...
    Last edited by mishima1970; 2012-04-16, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
      Tofu, however, is poison as well as most soy products...one serving has almost as much estrogen-like compounds as an estrogen supplement. It is poison for men and boys.
      Well, it's great to have something to blame my man-boobs on. God damn tofu! Messing with the purity of my precious bodily fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
        Well, it's great to have something to blame my man-boobs on. God damn tofu! Messing with the purity of my precious bodily fluids.
        Indeed soy together with carbs and "low fat diets" is behind the obesity and feminization of America:
        http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/...gative-effects

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
          Ja, like crazy1 I presume you are a bit inaka based. for real...buy a breadmaker and have good bread.
          No, right in the middle of Osaka actually The closest I've ever found to any type of grain/wholemeal bread was from the supermarket, and I'm sure it's just white mixed with rye. Not the stuff I want
          I did buy the bread maker many, many years ago, and after ther 4th failed attempt gave up......couldn't read the instructions. Although now I have a proper oven......it's just finding the ingredients I need at a reasonable (eg non international store) price! Must say baking sugar free cookies and muffins are good though.....

Comment

Indeed soy together with carbs and "low fat diets" is behind the obesity and feminization of America:
            You ah..erm...
            How can I put this respectfully....

You aren't a fan of critical thinking, I take it?

Comment

Oh come on, you can do better than that!

"Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the pen!s, sexual confusion and homosexuality."

"Soy is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Effort, man! Effort!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy1 View Post
                No, right in the middle of Osaka actually The closest I've ever found to any type of grain/wholemeal bread was from the supermarket, and I'm sure it's just white mixed with rye. Not the stuff I want
                I did buy the bread maker many, many years ago, and after ther 4th failed attempt gave up......couldn't read the instructions. Although now I have a proper oven......it's just finding the ingredients I need at a reasonable (eg non international store) price! Must say baking sugar free cookies and muffins are good though.....
                Baking is catching on in Japan.
                Bizarrely, you may find what you are looking for flour etc wise in the basements of big dept stores.

Comment

Anyone have any advice on how to keep "paleo" diet?
                  I eat mostly meat and fish and fruit and vegetables, some milk, etc.; I try to keep away from refined carbs. My "kitchen" is very small, so where do I go out to eat a good piece of meat or fish (about 6-8 oz.) with some salad, that's not too expensive? Seems everywhere I go is either cheap noodles/rice/potatoes, etc., which I don't eat, or else it's very expensive beef. I guess sushi or sashimi are fine, but price becomes an issue for the quantity I need per meal. A typical sushi meal of 1500 yen is not big enough to satisfy.

The only thing I can think of is going to yaki tori places all the time!

What is the most economical way to eat paleo or approximate diet in Japan? Are there places that just serve a good piece of meat with some salad? I guess I will start cooking, I see that fish is relatively cheap in supermarkets, but I'd rather not cook too much. Or is it impossible to keep a paleo diet without paying through the nose.

I went to izakaya last night it was great, sardine sashimi, cod soft roe, etc., but the portions were so small. Eating out is all either very small portions or huge portions of udon, etc.
                  After some research, I'm thinking about changing over to paleo, as it seems that it's not necessary to do (my current)1-2 hours of exercise a day and I would also get to eat other things that I have to restrict now, like coconut, dried fruit, avocadoes and nuts. Sounds good to me! I would happily give up flour based foods if I could cook some alternatives using almond flour. I'd much prefer to spend an extra hour a day cooking then sweating it out on the dreaded treadmill or cross trainer (even though they are in front of my TV, sitting on the sofa would be much more appealing!)
                  What I'm wondering is, where do you find grass fed chicken eggs and grass fed beef? It's not something that is labelled on packages here. Do you know of any online sites that are paleo-friendly and deliver to Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by crazy1 View Post
                    After some research, I'm thinking about changing over to paleo, as it seems that it's not necessary to do (my current)1-2 hours of exercise a day and I would also get to eat other things that I have to restrict now, like coconut, dried fruit, avocadoes and nuts. Sounds good to me! I would happily give up flour based foods if I could cook some alternatives using almond flour. I'd much prefer to spend an extra hour a day cooking then sweating it out on the dreaded treadmill or cross trainer (even though they are in front of my TV, sitting on the sofa would be much more appealing!)
                    What I'm wondering is, where do you find grass fed chicken eggs and grass fed beef? It's not something that is labelled on packages here. Do you know of any online sites that are paleo-friendly and deliver to Japan?
                    Jidori chicken, but it's expensive.
                    I've given up on keeping paleo here it's impossible for me. I am leaving because of the food!!

Comment

I am leaving because of the food!!
                      I'm staying because of the food.

It was, and still is, one of the key points why I like this country.

Comment

I've given up on keeping paleo here it's impossible for me. I am leaving because of the food!!
                        I've always wondered.
                        How is the food in Douchebaria?
                        A little salty perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Trichophyton-in-my-pants View Post
                          I'm staying because of the food.

It was, and still is, one of the key points why I like this country.
                          My dinner tonight:
                          seafood salad (sashimi with dressing and salad)
                          tempura of root vegetables (chips)
                          a longish piece of anago on top of marinated cucumber
                          beer
                          mentai chazuke

...everything delicious as usual, but left me feeling as if someone had punched me in the stomach, as do most meals in this country. Great sushi last night too. But expensive and leaves me feeling strange. Japanese food is great but a roundeye can't handle it every day.

As for the usual fare, like ramen, katsu, etc., ...indigestible. Had ramen a couple of days ago for lunch and couldn't handle more than two spoonfulls.

Cooking at home is not an option for me. Yes some of the food is great but what do you eat day to day? For day to day eating, the food is impossible here. I can't handle the regular lunch fare and bento boxes and the like. It's like dropping a stone in my stomach.

Comment

I think you need to go full paleo.

Dandelion weeds, and all the pigeons and cats you can catch.

Comment

Cooking at home is not an option for me. Yes some of the food is great but what do you eat day to day? For day to day eating, the food is impossible here. I can't handle the regular lunch fare and bento boxes and the like. It's like dropping a stone in my stomach.
                              Have you considered that the problem may not be one of food, but of mental state?

Food is just one facet of overall health.
                              I wonder if you are not caught up in the extremeness of this whole diet thing.

Comment

I think it is difficult to follow in Japan, but with the right tools, it can be done. I almost thought of NOT doing it as I couldn't get almond flour here....I got onto youtube and found out how to make almond flour (just need almonds and a food processer), same with the coconut flour. It seems to be more difficult to do than most diets, but with some planning in advance (even with your small kitchen!) it can be done! Making lots of meals and freezing them (youtube even has recipies for tortillas, so just some chicken and salad and it's a good meal) and tons of paleo-friendly sweets.
                                I'm gonna start it, freeze meals and make lots of almond flour, and keep that on hand for when I'm in a hurry etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X