Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Why is there so much bad English in Japan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
    Why? Because many English entertainer-teachers are totally incompetent and don't give a damn! With a few decent exceptions, I've never met a more self-entitled group of losers.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Most only learn English in school, not at ‰p‰ï˜b.
    In any case, the main reason why people are poor at English here is that they are not enthusiastic about learning it unlike their Asian cousins in Korea and China. English studies in those countries are intensive and the students actually want to learn, so they do. Japanese for the most part, wish English would just go away. They are always looking for a shortcut to suddenly become good at English. They will never get anywhere with that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
      I'm sorry, I must have too much English blood in me to appreciate that. Never did like bag pipes, either It's funny, 'cause I am actually a half Scottish by decent..
      Heh..I love that it was subtitled.

Comment

Originally posted by Andun View Post
        English studies in those countries are intensive and the students actually want to learn, so they do. Japanese for the most part, wish English would just go away. They are always looking for a shortcut to suddenly become good at English. They will never get anywhere with that attitude.
        Top Chinese and Korean universities require that students show communicative competence if they want to get into the university, so if students want to get in they have to study. There is no such requirement to get into Todai or Kyodai as the entrance test is simply a test of rote memorisation. Many Chinese parents also want their kids to study in America while less and less kids in Japan these days want to study abroad.

There is no real incentive for kids to master spoken or aural English as universities don't ask for communicative ability- its really only lip service and the JET program is a good example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post

There is no real incentive for kids to master spoken or aural English as universities don't ask for communicative ability- its really only lip service and the JET program is a good example of that.
          Your'e just a big ol' glass of sparking sunshine, aren't you, Spanky?

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
            Your'e just a big ol' glass of sparking sunshine, aren't you, Spanky?
            Something like over 50,000 JETs have come here over the last 25 years, billions spent on the program and Japanese kids STILL cant speak English. If they could then I would probably be out of a job, realistically speaking.

Must be something wrong with the picture here.

Comment

It's because many schools take the bucket approach to learning English.
              Here is a great big bucket of English. Drink it all in an hour. Then next week you can have another bucket.
              It's idiocy.

Imagine if they taught every kid 1 sentence a week in English.. 40 or so sentences a year....
              THEN they would speak the language.

L

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                It's because many schools take the bucket approach to learning English.
                Here is a great big bucket of English. Drink it all in an hour. Then next week you can have another bucket.
                It's idiocy.

L
                And most kids get a swipe at the bucket at most about 20-weeks of the year, its not even every week in most cases with big gaps during vacations.

Comment

It is very easy to teach English.
                  Slowly and steadily.
                  Repetition. Not rote learning, just bring up the language they have been taught again and again (In an interesting way) until it has well and truly sunk in. I keep a book so I know what each class has learned and I sometimes look back at what we did 6 months ago and throw that in.

If it were up to me I would abolish either abolish the JET program or train them well and make them be totally in charge of the classroom.
                  And start English lessons from kindergarten.

The Japanese need to learn English. Everyone knows that and obviously the system as it stands is fuked.

The best teaching advice I ever got was "If something's not working stop doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
                    I met a few guys that taught at the English schools here and they seemed like they had no business speaking, let alone teaching, the English language.

Does anybody else find this chacracterisation a bit hard on the Irish and Antipodeans?????

They don't really mean to speak like that.....................they just do.

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                    The best teaching advice I ever got was "If something's not working stop doing it."

Michiko asked me to mention to you that she didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it did at the time.

Funny thing is, all she ever says to me is:

Don't Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      Something like over 50,000 JETs have come here over the last 25 years, billions spent on the program and Japanese kids STILL cant speak English. If they could then I would probably be out of a job, realistically speaking.

Must be something wrong with the picture here.
                      No, them there kids are 25 years older now. Fruentry speaking adults they are.

Comment

They delude themselves into believing that the English language must exist on some plane in interdependancy with Japanese (while at the same time illogically believing that the Japanese language is unique, difficult and impossible to grasp for anyone other than themselves). That is why Japanese-english sounds the way it does and why it doesn't go away.

They don't realize that speaking foreign languages is about conveying concepts and ideas, not about inputting words and structure that reflect the original words or structure (which may have already been at that stage inappropriate for conveying the desired message).

It is not math or science. However, the majority probably wishes it were.
                        Last edited by tomtucker; 2012-05-06, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
                          For a country that was occupied by the American military for 7 years and frequently does business with American, British, Austrailian and European countries why is the level of English here so horrible?
                          Why?

Because old K44 can only be at one school at a time to work his mojo.
                          Last edited by Ken44; 2012-05-05, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Interestingly enough, Scottish English is supposed to be the most easy to listen to.

I like a nice Scottish accent, but for pure elegance I have to go with this...

Comment

Ever seen this commercial?
                              Best...EVER..(Even if you are not a R. Carlyle Fan, I can't take my ears off the screen!)

What a great commercial!

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
                                I like a nice Scottish accent

Comment

Working...
                                X