Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Apartment leasing contract and changing name of the contract holder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment leasing contract and changing name of the contract holder.

Hey all, In advance just wanna say I appreciate any help you can give. I have 2 related questions !

A) I am in a bit of a predicament regarding my living situation. About a month ago i moved to a new prefecture and moved in with my long time partner (not married). Finding that I have started to fall out (have fallen out of love with this person). Needless to say I feel pretty bad as it is, without dealing with potential housing issues and everything else that is going to go along with it.

So as I am the foreigner we figured it would be best to stick the Japanese national's name on the contract at the time. So as it is most likely that she will not want to live here any longer and move to her home town, I would like to continue to live in the place. (as its pretty nice, and my company has recently paid a large amount of key money and agency fees). What is more, having just moved i don't have a lot of money at the moment myself. I understand that I will likely need a new guarenteur(s) as my partner took care of the guarentuer stuff. (this shouldn't be too much of a problem for me)

Other the the guarenteer stuff, What other considerations do i need to take into account and how can we go about changing the name of the leasing agreement? Would it be wise to discuss this with my company? (It is a pretty well run shop from what have seen so far)

B) So in addition to any advice about my situation, I would also like to ask has any one ever had difficulty with getting apartments because you were foreign?

Thanks again all, looking forward to reading what you have to say!

Originally posted by sevi View Post
    Hey all, In advance just wanna say I appreciate any help you can give. I have 2 related questions !

A) So as it is most likely that she will not want to live here any longer and move to her home town, I would like to continue to live in the place. (as its pretty nice, and my company has recently paid a large amount of key money and agency fees). What is more, having just moved i don't have a lot of money at the moment myself. I understand that I will likely need a new guarenteur(s) as my partner took care of the guarentuer stuff. (this shouldn't be too much of a problem for me)

Other the the guarenteer stuff, What other considerations do i need to take into account and how can we go about changing the name of the leasing agreement? Would it be wise to discuss this with my company? (It is a pretty well run shop from what have seen so far)

B) So in addition to any advice about my situation, I would also like to ask has any one ever had difficulty with getting apartments because you were foreign?

Thanks again all, looking forward to reading what you have to say!
    Is the contract in your name or in hers ?

If it's in your name and she is just the guarantor, nothing would change. A guarantor does not have to live on-site, and the landlord would not know that you have split up.

If the contract is in her name, it depends how cooperative the landlord is in switching it to you. As your company has provided you with the key money and agency fees, they would also have an interest to have you stay. Best would be that your company is talking directly to the agency. It is possible that they will charge you to change the contract.

Comment

Thats great Ttokyo, thanks for the information I think it will help me out a lot.

It is in fact in her name, therefore I will ask my company to help me out with this.

If any one else has input, I welcome it!

Appreciate it Ttokyo!

Comment

Originally posted by sevi View Post
        If any one else has input, I welcome it!
        Yes. Obvious, but next time get your name on the contract.

Comment

so you would agree with what ttokyo has said?

Yeah my name is on there, its just i wasn't the one who signed it / hanko'ed.. And i will for sure next time ^^

Thanks for your response!

Comment

Working...
          X