Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Applying to colleges/majors etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to colleges/majors etc.

1. How many Japanese colleges are you allowed to apply to?
    2. What are good majors that would benefit you in Japan?
    3. Is an ACT score of 27 and GPA of 3.67 good enough for Sophia or Waseda?

Originally posted by asiangirl View Post
    1. How many Japanese colleges are you allowed to apply to?
    2. What are good majors that would benefit you in Japan?
    3. Is an ACT score of 27 and GPA of 3.67 good enough for Sophia or Waseda?
    1. It depends on the program. If you want to enroll in the regular program, there are usually no restrictions for the private ones, but there is a practical limitation if they have exams on the same day and all of them change you for even accepting your application (independent if you pass or not).
    2. Benefit you for what ? An academic career, a steady income, an interesting job ?
    3. Have you checked, e.g. here www.waseda-iao.jp/ . I'd guess there is no fixed standard, but depends on number of applicants, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      1. It depends on the program. If you want to enroll in the regular program, there are usually no restrictions for the private ones, but there is a practical limitation if they have exams on the same day and all of them change you for even accepting your application (independent if you pass or not).
      2. Benefit you for what ? An academic career, a steady income, an interesting job ?
      1. Well, I was thinking of the English program where the classes are taught in English. You don't need to take any exams, just send in papers and probably an interview.
      2. Steady income

Comment

Well, it's a bit tough to help if you don't know what exactly you want to study...a lot of majors can help you gain employment with "steady income," it depends on what your interests are...In regards to finding a program, another forum member posted this link in a thread not too long ago.

http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/docum...ee_english.pdf

I'd recommend starting there. Look at a program, see what the requirements are. See if any interest you.

I'm assuming you're looking at undergraduate schools since you're asking about Majors, etc. I'll tell you this now, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a good university undergraduate program that doesn't have an exam or interview as part of its admissions process. But then again, I might be wrong.

EDIT: Graduate schools, on the other hand, are a bit different. If you're looking at grad schools, that would be another story altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by asiangirl View Post
          1. Well, I was thinking of the English program where the classes are taught in English. You don't need to take any exams, just send in papers and probably an interview.
          2. Steady income
          What is your home country and how good is your Japanese ? Generally speaking, there is no real benefit of attending an English-speaking program at a Japanese university.

Comment

As a polite request

Could any and all native speakers PLEASE stop using this phrase "home country"?????????????

Pleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
              What is your home country and how good is your Japanese ? Generally speaking, there is no real benefit of attending an English-speaking program at a Japanese university.
              I live in the USA atm. Right now I am taking AP Japanese in high school. I plan on learning Japanese at the same time as earning a major.

Comment

Working...
              X