Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

"Used" phones on auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Used" phones on auction

Hi,

I've been looking at finally getting a smartphone, and I looked for the model I like on Yahoo Auctions (Galaxy Note SC-05D). There seems to be a huge number of them for sale for around 20,000, all from different vendors, all the same model, in white, all "like new" and "never used" with comments like "it was bought on so-and-so day and has never been used, comes like new in box..." What I'm wondering is whether I'm right to be suspicious about these. Are they likely fake? Rebuilt? Stolen from a factory in China? Not working? I guess as long as it works, I don't care too much, but I don't want to get some fake thing that doesn't work. Does anyone know about this kind of thing?

Thanks.

Originally posted by d999 View Post
    Hi,

I've been looking at finally getting a smartphone, and I looked for the model I like on Yahoo Auctions (Galaxy Note SC-05D). There seems to be a huge number of them for sale for around 20,000, all from different vendors, all the same model, in white, all "like new" and "never used" with comments like "it was bought on so-and-so day and has never been used, comes like new in box..." What I'm wondering is whether I'm right to be suspicious about these. Are they likely fake? Rebuilt? Stolen from a factory in China? Not working? I guess as long as it works, I don't care too much, but I don't want to get some fake thing that doesn't work. Does anyone know about this kind of thing?

Thanks.
    If They are in the used phone section, then they have been used! No matter what it is said or written, other than an actual retailer no one sells a new phone!

Comment

Not so sure about the Docomo ones, but i know for the Softbank ones, often the person will start a contract with one of these phones, and then just take the sim out and put it in their existing phone. You cannot get a simple contract-free plan here, so either way you need to sign up for 2 years. Might as well get one of the free, or almost free phones, then sell it to get some money back.

I actually did that for a Sharp phone last year, but actually the phone was only 10,000yen outright, so cancelling the contract right away (10,000yen fee), and then selling the phone for 30,000 got me a mild profit.

I have bought about 10 phones from Yahoo auctions, in various states of newness - every one of them has been legit

Comment

You might also check the used sections at dospara and sofmap. A bit more expensive but definitely legit und honest descriptions.

http://used.dospara.co.jp/sale/searc...+SC-05D&sort=2
        Last edited by ttokyo; 2012-12-03, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
          You cannot get a simple contract-free plan here, so either way you need to sign up for 2 years. Might as well get one of the free, or almost free phones, then sell it to get some money back.
          You can get one on Docomo, at a higher rate. Higher to the point where its not really economically viable, but its certainly possible to get month-to-month no-minimum-term service.

bmobile offers plans with as short as 3 month commitments, and cheaper than dcm/sb, assuming you can live with 2gb/mo caps. (I've never exceeded 500mb in a month on my dcm plan)

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
            You can get one on Docomo, at a higher rate. Higher to the point where its not really economically viable, but its certainly possible to get month-to-month no-minimum-term service.

bmobile offers plans with as short as 3 month commitments, and cheaper than dcm/sb, assuming you can live with 2gb/mo caps. (I've never exceeded 500mb in a month on my dcm plan)
            You are right, my knowlege of the options available is based on almost 2 year old experience of trying to sort something out. I saw on Softbank's page that they also started offering shorter plans, though hard to find info on it.

Doesnt B-mobile have the problem of not showing any signal (even though it does have signal)? And what about download speeds?

Sorry this is somewhat OT

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
              You are right, my knowlege of the options available is based on almost 2 year old experience of trying to sort something out. I saw on Softbank's page that they also started offering shorter plans, though hard to find info on it.

Doesnt B-mobile have the problem of not showing any signal (even though it does have signal)? And what about download speeds?

Sorry this is somewhat OT
              The issues with b-mobile sims and signal indication only affect the data-only sims when used on voice/data devices (on data-only devices they work fine too). Voice/data-service sims work fine. My wife has the Aeon b-mobile voice/data service (2270 yen/mo with 150kbps rate-limited service, she only uses it for mail really, and there's an option to switch to full-speed data on-demand for 500 yen per 100mb, expiring in 180days).

The full-speed sims (i.e. sumaho 2gb-plan voice sim with only 3mo commitment) offer similar speeds to what you would get through docomo, though you get private (rfc1918) addressing.
              Last edited by evilone; 2012-12-05, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X