Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

APU Full Scholarship or Sophia University ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • APU Full Scholarship or Sophia University ?

    Hello Everyone - particularly those in education. A student of mine (not Japanese but has been living in Japan for over three years) has received offers from both of these universities. She's very smart - TOEFL IBT score of 109 for a start, Eiken Ikyu, SAT I score of about 1750.

    Anyhow, APU have offered her a full scholarship. Sophia have also accepted her. She's a great girl. Anyhow, she (and I) have been wondering what to do. Obviously financially APU is the best. On the other hand Sophia has the better reputation. However that could just be because APU is relatively new and in the future their alumni will also be stellar. She's also waiting on several California universities but those results won't come in until March. What would you advise?

  • #2
    First of all, if you are, stop ! If you are not, then very good of you. But why are you involved? Students come and go and they have their parents to talk those problems out with, no self respecting professor/ teacher would dare advise a student on something that she needs to talk to her parents! After all they will probably foot the bills, when she choose . Not with someone who wants to bang her or is banging her !

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
      First of all, if you are, stop ! If you are not, then very good of you. But why are you involved? Students come and go and they have their parents to talk those problems out with, no self respecting professor/ teacher would dare advise a student on something that she needs to talk to her parents! After all they will probably foot the bills, when she choose . Not with someone who wants to bang her or is banging her !
      I would actually say that the teacher/professor is a better adviser than a parent. What do parents know about which university to choose?

      I would highly doubt what you, with your clearly perverse mind, are thinking.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Osiris View Post
        Hello Everyone - particularly those in education. A student of mine (not Japanese but has been living in Japan for over three years) has received offers from both of these universities. She's very smart - TOEFL IBT score of 109 for a start, Eiken Ikyu, SAT I score of about 1750.

        Anyhow, APU have offered her a full scholarship. Sophia have also accepted her. She's a great girl. Anyhow, she (and I) have been wondering what to do. Obviously financially APU is the best. On the other hand Sophia has the better reputation. However that could just be because APU is relatively new and in the future their alumni will also be stellar. She's also waiting on several California universities but those results won't come in until March. What would you advise?
        This smacks of someone who is sleeping with this student!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
          First of all, if you are, stop ! If you are not, then very good of you. But why are you involved? Students come and go and they have their parents to talk those problems out with, no self respecting professor/ teacher would dare advise a student on something that she needs to talk to her parents! After all they will probably foot the bills, when she choose . Not with someone who wants to bang her or is banging her !
          ??? I'm not doing anything 'untoward' with my student. FYI the father of course wants her to attend APU because they don't have a whole lot of money. He also wants her to return to her home country as soon as she graduates.On the other hand Sophia has a better 'reputation' and if she stays here when she's job hunting it might be more of an advantage.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would like to mention the point about the scholarships- being a university grad that got a free ride does look good on a resume.

            I think she should also think about what she will study, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Osiris View Post
              ??? I'm not doing anything 'untoward' with my student. FYI the father of course wants her to attend APU because they don't have a whole lot of money. He also wants her to return to her home country as soon as she graduates.On the other hand Sophia has a better 'reputation' and if she stays here when she's job hunting it might be more of an advantage.
              That is commendable that you are behaving as a gentleman, but we have had others with similar situations, and turned out they were playing hide the salami with their students!
              So what are you advising her, go against her father`s wishes? A school`s reputation might translates into happiness, a parent`s anger can last a lifetime. Schools reputations are not that important in today`s world, specially Sophia`s, now if it was Waseda, Keio or Todai then you`d be talking a different ballgame. Is she legally a minor or an adult in her home country? If she is not legally an adult advise her to go with her parents wishes, and wash your hands off her! After graduation she can decide whether to come back on her own and nobody can object.
              Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2013-02-08, 10:57 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                First of all, if you are, stop ! If you are not, then very good of you. But why are you involved? Students come and go and they have their parents to talk those problems out with, no self respecting professor/ teacher would dare advise a student on something that she needs to talk to her parents! After all they will probably foot the bills, when she choose . Not with someone who wants to bang her or is banging her !

                Huh!????


                Originally posted by nynapaj View Post
                I would actually say that the teacher/professor is a better adviser than a parent. What do parents know about which university to choose?
                Nice. Agreed. Especially about parents in a foreign country when talking about Japanese universities.

                It is actually part of the job description.

                To those of you who obviously view teaching the way we view your knowledge about same, I say Bupkiss.



                Originally posted by Shimokitazawa View Post
                This smacks of someone who is sleeping with this student!

                No, it doesn't, but it does smack of professionalism, which is only shocking in how little regard it is held on here.


                Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                ??? I'm not doing anything 'untoward' with my student. FYI the father of course wants her to attend APU because they don't have a whole lot of money. He also wants her to return to her home country as soon as she graduates.On the other hand Sophia has a better 'reputation' and if she stays here when she's job hunting it might be more of an advantage.
                I get what you mean about reputation, but Sofia isn't actually all that well regarded compared to APU, which is a Ritsumeikan outfit after all.

                I always advise students to take the scholarship, other factors being equal.

                The head start that a paid off degree gives pays off in so many ways it outweighs the more minor concerns you have, MYHOMO.

                BUTtles, let us remember that scholarship students in Japan do not have the same prestige they do in North America. Boasting you got a scholarship means, to many Japanese, that you were poor. The bright part only comes later. Scholarships are viewed as student loans, which in many places, is what they are.

                But as she is not Japanese, it isn't really relevant.

                Which does raise a question, Osiris: you should take a peek at the fine print to make certain the scholarship offered is repayable or not. I would imagine that at APU, for a foreign student, it is not.



                Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                That is commendable that you are behaving as a gentleman, but we have had others with similar situations, and turned out they were playing hide the salami with their students!
                So what are you advising her, go against her father`s wishes? A school`s reputation might translates into happiness, a parent`s anger can last a lifetime. Schools reputations are not that important in today`s world, specially Sophia`s, now if it was Waseda, Keio or Todai then you`d be talking a different ballgame. Is she legally a minor or an adult in her home country? If she is not legally an adult advise her to go with her parents wishes, and wash your hands off her! After graduation she can decide whether to come back on her own and nobody can object.

                He is a good teacher being asked by a student with few support resources to help with a major decision.

                I would just cut your losses here, man.

                That advice and commentary was KrapBen worthy it was so speculative and off the mark.

                Comment


                • #9
                  APU, a free degree is a free degree, and "paying"for Sophia's reputation isn't worth it. Depending on her major, her undergrad isn't going to mean anything after grad school, and saving the money for a better graduate degree is a more effective use of her families financial resources.
                  If she goes back to the states the universities outside of Japan aren't going to make a distinction between Sophia and APU, and all employers are going to say is "you got your degree, in Japan. How is your Japanese?" The reputation factor isn't even going to come up.

                  If by chance you are giving it to your student, good for you. Don't let a bunch of old guys give you attitude, because their students don't want to play hide the sausage with them.
                  Last edited by vallient; 2013-02-09, 05:21 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X