Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

buying sumo tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying sumo tickets

Sumo is in Osaka next month and I wouldn't mind going. Can a fella walk up and buy tickets on the day of? Yes, I know tickets are supposedly available at the door, and I know too that most matches will not sell out. BUT, I'd be a fool to trust the box office to stay open during normal business hours. What I mean is, will I be expected to arrive at the crack of dawn, before all the ticket-sellers pack up and go home? Or will they remain in their box office like good employees, well into the afternoon?

Sumo has dropped in popularity, so you should have no problem to get same-day tickets on a weekday if you come early.
    Other venues have discounted 'same-day tickets' in the morning, but it does not say about Osaka

www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/osaka.html

Comment

I would get there as early as possible and try to make it a weekday.
      You might want to think about just shelling out the extra for the tickets a bit higher in price and buying them in advance.
      I've only been to the sumo in Tokyo but the bleacher seats are fine there.
      It is a great day out and you can take in your own food and drinks with you.

Comment

Good to know! Likely I will just buy in advance, if it can be done through a konbini. (Credit card is no good). But as to my original question, can I buy tickets IN THE AFTERNOON on the day of? I have no intentions of being in Osaka at 8, or even 11 in the morning.

Comment

I'd still say yes, but to make sure, why not pay the extra Y 1,000 and reserve a 'Arena Seat D' for Y 3,000. The Y 2,000 'same-day tickets' are 'general seating'. The link above has English Tel numbers and tickets can also be purchased at many convenience stores, such as 7-11, Family Mart or Lawson.

Comment

Working...
          X