Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health

How to keep yourself away from depression ?

Laying off the drink, eating well and exercising will help most people.

Comment

No foolproof way, although I agree with Morton.

Taking a good look at yourself and your current life, seeing what is getting you down and zapping your energy and what lifts you up, then having a think about what you can do to reduce the former and increase the latter may also help.

Comment

So will exercise... Oh, that was already mentioned... so, um - vigorous exercise - with a friend (soap and shower optional).

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
          Laying off the drink, eating well and exercising will help most people.
          Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
          No foolproof way, although I agree with Morton.

Taking a good look at yourself and your current life, seeing what is getting you down and zapping your energy and what lifts you up, then having a think about what you can do to reduce the former and increase the latter may also help.
          Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
          So will exercise... Oh, that was already mentioned... so, um - vigorous exercise - with a friend (soap and shower optional).
          All good advice above.
          You need to identify what gives you stress and work on reducing it.

It could be as simple as diet & exercise or it could be a warning sign from your brain and/or body.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
            This is lather good advice

Comment

decent sex life and nice cuddle works for me. also, strangely, teaching kids. when u get into the classroom u dont have much time for being morose and introspective

Comment

Originally posted by rm83 View Post
                decent sex life and nice cuddle works for me. also, strangely, teaching kids. when u get into the classroom u dont have much time for being morose and introspective
                actually, teaching salarymen, freshmen, and housewives is a good way to get a look at what life could be like if it were not for the grace of God!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aplacetobe View Post
                  How to keep yourself away from depression ?

I try and stay away from depressing people/negative situation if possible.

When I lose a teaching gig or something bad happens which is out of my control I just have to live with it.

However, what I don't do is take it out on my wife or let it ____ up my job.

The older you get the more you realize life is a continues series of ups and downs. The trick is not getting too emotionally high or low.

Also..
                  1. cut back on the booze
                  2. get enough sleep
                  3. eat well
                  4. walk
                  Last edited by Ken44; 2013-04-04, 12:09 AM.

Comment

one other thing that helps me is i try not to invest my own self worth too highly in the views of others.

for example - i have some friends who are doing damn well inncertain companies in London, and its easy to think why am i not doing as well? raise this topic with them though and they shout me down for being ridiculous cos ive done loads myself thatbthey havent.

another example - talking about moving to Japan to teach and lots of people back home are jealous, one or two even to the point of anger (not native, cant do it). get here and read blogs an so on, loadsa people moaning about it hating it, non-teachers saying we're losers and all the rest.

if you dont compare yourself to others and do things on your own terms, define your own success then that can ease alot if stress and pressure. just do stuff you enjoy and that makes you happy.

also, yoga is pretty good for destressung

Comment

All of us get down now and then. I sometimes watch 'Taxi Driver' for philosophical insight :

Travis: I got, it's just that I got a, I got a...
                      Wizard: Things uh, things got ya down?
                      Travis: Yeah.
                      Wizard: Yeah, it happens to the best of us.
                      Travis: Yeah, I got me a real down, real...I just wanna go out and, and you know like really, really, really do somethin'.
                      Wizard: The taxi life you mean?
                      Travis: Yeah, well. Naw, I don't know. I just wanna go out. I really, you know, I really wanna, I got some bad ideas in my head, I just...
                      Wizard: Look, look at it this way, you know uh, a man, a man takes a job, you know, and that job, I mean like that, and that it becomes what he is. You know like uh, you do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a, I've been a cabbie for seventeen years, ten years at night and I still don't own my own cab. You know why? 'Cause I don't want to. I must be what I, what I want. You know, to be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. Understand? You, you, you become, you get a job, you you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn, one guy lives in Sutton Place, you get a lawyer, another guy's a doctor, another guy dies, another guy gets well, and you know, people are born. I envy you your youth. Go out and get laid. Get drunk, you know, do anything. 'Cause you got no choice anyway. I mean we're all ____ed, more or less you know?

Comment

Working...
                      X