Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Buying a computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a computer

So I work as a Environment artist for Game companies in Tokyo and I do a lot of work from home.

Sadly I had to move away from my 30man computer in another country and i have been putting up with my laptop until this weekend
    when it started shutting down because of heating problems, and for those of you that live in Tokyo you probably know it wasnt even close to warm
    this weekend, so I don't even wanna know how summer will be.

So now I'm looking into buying a new computer, sadly can't afford a 30 man computer but rather up until 13 man.
    I haven't been in the market for a computer for a while and things constantly change, but I will do mostly 3D related work,
    watching movies and playing an occasional game.

Do you have any recommendations on custom built computers? I have looked at Dospara
    and i guess that might be the best option, just get a feeling im getting screwed over if i compare to other
    countries prices, but well I know that's how it is here, but I wanted to atleast try and ask.

So please advice me.

My laptop was overheating a few years ago. I took it apart and noticed the heatsink was all gummed up with hair and whatnot. I took it out and rinsed it off with soap and hot water, put everything back together, and good as new! If you're not inclined to take your laptop apart, you can probably find a shop in Akihabara to do it for you, for a modest fee, of course.

I still use a laptop as my main dev box, just hooking up a big monitor and real keyboard and mouse for heavy use at home.

Comment

Originally posted by gaijin1987 View Post
      So I work as a Environment artist for Game companies in Tokyo and I do a lot of work from home.

Sadly I had to move away from my 30man computer in another country and i have been putting up with my laptop until this weekend
      when it started shutting down because of heating problems, and for those of you that live in Tokyo you probably know it wasnt even close to warm
      this weekend, so I don't even wanna know how summer will be.

So now I'm looking into buying a new computer, sadly can't afford a 30 man computer but rather up until 13 man.
      I haven't been in the market for a computer for a while and things constantly change, but I will do mostly 3D related work,
      watching movies and playing an occasional game.

Do you have any recommendations on custom built computers? I have looked at Dospara
      and i guess that might be the best option, just get a feeling im getting screwed over if i compare to other
      countries prices, but well I know that's how it is here, but I wanted to atleast try and ask.

So please advice me.
      I don't know how good the custom builders are with things like the case, but if you want full control, building it yourself is a good way to go for desktop PCs. It isn't difficult. It's not really a way to save money, but the total flexibility is a huge benefit, and you can also focus on noise reduction and cooling, which is well worth doing. 130,000 yen buys you quite a lot of computer (up to i7 3770K), but if you're expecting it to cover the monitor as well, you'd have to go for slightly more mid-range components. Either way, if you do your own build, and you put it in a really good, solid case and choose the components with a bit of care, even a discount build should yield an excellent computer.

Some sample upper costs of separate components - except CPU, I won't bother with many brand names or detailed specs. If you need to shave costs, you can cut many of these prices in half.

Intel i7 3770K 32,000 yen
      Case 10-15,000 yen (Corsair, Antec, Lian Li etc)
      PSU if separate from case 10,000
      Motherboard 15,000
      Graphics 30,000 (you can live without graphics and soundcard, or just add them later)
      3TB HDD 12,000
      SSD 12,000
      16 GB RAM
      Wireless adapter 3000
      Router 8000
      Keyboard and mouse 5000

Comment

Now for 3d type work... Explain more what it is you are looking at doing.

At the post above. That is sort of OK as a basis. The OP cannot live without graphics cards unfortunately.

I would rather recommend the amd fx 8350 as the main proc. Your software if you use proper software will scale nicely over the cores and will perform a little better than in the case of an intel with fewer cores. I generally prefer intel, but in your case it can be justified to use AMD. Then see if you can get your hands on a second hand Quadro or FirePro. They will assist the proc nicely. Now I do not know if you can easily or cheaply get one of those... but scout for them they are geared specially for rendering and multimedia production rather than playing games like the general gpu's everyone gets.

I would rather boost the ram to 32gb, they are not that expensive, get a 128gb ssd (not required) and two 1TB disks set up in raid. I think that will be a much better combo for 3d work and will provide redundancy. Don't get a 3tb disk at 12000 yen. That WILL be a 5200rpm drive and will slow down the machine way too much for rendering, unless you have lots and lots of patience.

Comment

Thanks for all the good replies people,

I Use Maya/Max zbrush etc, I don't really have to worry about rendering as I work in realtime, but I do need a graphics card, for obvious reasons i guess, also I use a lot of dx11 features.

Building my own would probably be the cheapest and best alternative, but as i lack the experience and i need to get started up right away
          I'm currently leaning towards this one.

http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/p...1552&vn=1&lf=0

+ the samsung ssd drive

Comment

Originally posted by ericson View Post
            Now for 3d type work... Explain more what it is you are looking at doing.

At the post above. That is sort of OK as a basis. The OP cannot live without graphics cards unfortunately.
            It was just generalized information based on some prices I've been looking at recently, as the OP didn't provide much guidance on his needs to start with, I didn't pay much attention to his intended usage. I agree on the hard drives, personally I'm not hugely interested in SSDs but I think most people getting new systems now want one, and the smaller, faster HDDs seem like a good idea too.

I'd also suggest to the OP not to sweat over getting screwed on Japanese prices: I don't think they're bad, but in any case, if you're buying here, you're paying the prices here, and that's the end of that. Your budget should cover a very good setup.

Comment

Yeah as you said I live here and make my money here so not much I can do about that, but doesn't hurt to look.

but I guess I might be going with the one above

Comment

That build will work yeah. Just make sure you get the max ram you can afford. I still think you would see more benefit using those with a processor that has more threads and a solid GPU, but nothing wrong with your setup. I would seriously recommend some sort of raid if it important work.

Maya still render even in live view. If there is no rendering your models will remain looking like polygons. So anything 3d is rendered, live or not.

Here are some benchmarks on a system sort of like the one you want to get. Have a look and see if it will fit.
                http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/art...eleration-166/

Comment

Well depends on the renderer i guess, can't say I'm a pro on whats going on inside while rendering, but there are all sorts of renders that rely heavily on a specific thing gpu based renders etc
                  I have been in discussion before where people tend to say a computer for rendering and a computer for 3D creation should be built differently.

But to be honest I wouldnt know, at my price range I dont think it matters that much.

Thanks for the link
                  Last edited by gaijin1987; 2013-04-22, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Depending on which route you go, I've got a "like new" ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 GPU that could save you a bundle on your graphics. It's basically two GTX200s in parallel. Perfect for 3D work.

http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gtx-...5e3ma-fsp.html

Message me if you're interested.

By the way, I built my latest PC from the ground up part by part and it runs flawlessly. I saved some money but more importantly I had a great time doing it.
                    I'm not an expert by any means but I researched components and then used YouTube to help with the build steps.
                    Really rewarding experience.

Everyone's got an opinion on what CPU, GPU, hard drives, etc. you should get, but one item I think most of us would agree not to skimp on is the case.
                    I'd recommend going with a full tower if you've got the space.

Comment

I use a Dospara-built unit, a full tower, and it's worked great for the past 4 years. No English support, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Koenji View Post
                        I use a Dospara-built unit, a full tower, and it's worked great for the past 4 years. No English support, though.
                        Good point. The dospara PC comes with Japanese Windows. W7 Ultimate can easily be switched to English, but not sure about the other versions.

Comment

Well I guess I'll be going with Dospara, But they cant install with an english OS i guess?

Not really a big deal, Actually I have been using japanese windows for the last 5 years, but sometimes there are menus that i would rather have in english.

Comment

They'll probably be installing Windows 8 these days so switching to English is a breeze.

Comment

Well either 7 or 8 is included in the package, but i was actually thinking about going with 7 because of some worries regarding
                              programs not working on 8 yet, Also i have heard a lot of people bashing it, what do you think?

windows 8 doesnt come with only one language?

Comment

Working...
                              X