Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Fukushima Radiation and the health of people living on East coast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fukushima Radiation and the health of people living on East coast

With all the 100s of tons of highly radioactive water being released off the east coast it makes one wonder, aside from the contaminated seafood what other health effects the radiation potentially has on the coastal areas. Found this interesting:

Pump and pray: Tepco might have to pour water on Fukushima wreckage forever

http://rt.com/op-edge/tepco-fukushim...r-reactor-194/

The contamination of the sea results in adsorption of the radionuclides by the sand and silt on the coast and river estuaries. The east coast of Japan, the sediment and sand on the shores, will now be horribly radioactive. This material is re-suspended into the air through a process called sea-to-land transfer. The coastal air they inhale is laden with radioactive particles. I know about this since I was asked in 1998 by the Irish State to carry out a two-year study of the cancer effects of releases into the Irish Sea by the nuclear reprocessing plant at Sellafield. We looked at small area data leaked to us by the Welsh Cancer Registry covering the period of 1974-1989, when Sellafield was releasing significant amounts of radio-Caesium, radio-Strontium, and Plutonium. Results showed a remarkable and sharp 30 per cent increase in cancer rates in those living within 1km of the coast. The effect was very local and dropped away sharply at 2km. In trying to discover the cause, we came across measurements made by the UK Atomic Energy Research Establishment. Using special cloth filters, they had measured Plutonium in the air by distance from the contaminated coast. The trend was the same as the cancer trend, increasing sharply in the 1km strip near the coast. We later examined cancer rates in a higher resolution questionnaire study in Carlingford, Ireland. This clearly showed the effect increasing inside the 1km radius in the same way. The results were never published in scientific literature but were presented to the UK CERRIE committee and eventually made it into a book which I wrote in 2007 entitled, gWolves of Water.h Make no mistake, this is a deadly effect. By 2003, we had found 20-fold excess risk of leukemia and brain tumours in the population of children on the north Wales coast.

Pst – madmax is that you?

Comment

As you can see, no responses... because everyone on the eastern seaboard of Japan is already dead. I am typing this from a neuclear fallout shelter near Okinawa. SAVE YOURSELVES!!!

Comment

P.S. Ignore my nickname. Tokyo is a ghost city now. We are all huddled in shelters to the south and north

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
          Pst – madmax is that you?
          Another thread started on the dangers of water fluoridation. Very very likely.

Comment

Actually I was planning to open a similar thread. Im wondering if people living on the eastcoast are REALLY as safe as they think? Isnt it time to perhaps pack and move away? Why is NOONE screaming and why arent TEPCO heads rolling yet?

btw im not madmax

Comment

I maybe madmax, but I, for one, am bunkering down for the anticipated onslaught of Kanto-Jin by hoarding coveted supplies of Dean & Delucca products as they will fetch a fortune in the near future.... On the black coffee market ....

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                Actually I was planning to open a similar thread. Im wondering if people living on the eastcoast are REALLY as safe as they think? Isnt it time to perhaps pack and move away? Why is NOONE screaming and why arent TEPCO heads rolling yet?

btw im not madmax
                I live on the east coast south of Tokyo, so this is a concern. For the Japanese psyche, radiation is a perfect phenomena to ignore and sidestep. 1000s of tons of extremely radioactive water enter the environment and there is no health consequence to speak of? What about the consumption of fish etc? Bioacummulation is a big concern yet no advisory from the govt. Looks like the radiation will continue to be released indefinitely...

I'm not madmax either.

Comment

The International Scale For Radiological Releases

Level 0 there is no safety significance
                  Level 1 is equivalent to the amount that you're exposed to on a daily basis, by your televisions, smoke detectors or computer monitors
                  Level 2 is like using your cell phone too much, say 23 hours and 59 minutes a day
                  Level 3 is like using your microwave oven with the door open
                  Level 4 is like having an x-ray a day, for 10 years straight
                  Level 5 is like going on a trip to Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Three Mile Island and Chernobyl
                  Level 6 is any combination of the above
                  Level 7 is like sitting on the (rising) sun...Sayonara!

Seriously, worth a look here:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ar_Event_Scale

Oh, by the way, I'm a bit mad, but I'm not max

Comment

Originally posted by Anamorphic View Post
                    For the Japanese psyche, radiation is a perfect phenomena to ignore and sidestep. .
                    Thank you Little Eddie Reischauer. That's a moronic statement, and you're obsessing.

You know that onigiri you ate just yesterday? It was wrapped in cesium basted seaweed.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                      Why is NOONE screaming
                      All I can hear from my Japanese acquaintances is: "’p‚¾I’p‚¾I“ú–{‚Ì’p‚¾ I"

Same thing as Tepco, actually: "‘å•Ï\‚µ–ó‚ ‚è‚Ü‚¹‚ñ I"

If shame was a currency, Japan would be world's 1st economical power.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
                        P.S. Ignore my nickname. Tokyo is a ghost city now. We are all huddled in shelters to the south and north
                        Heheh. Thats funny.

By the way, how many hot particles from Fukushima do you estimate are lodged in your lungs, or for that matter the average Tokyoite?

Comment

So it's more than a concern, it's also a hope, eh?

You scum.

Hope you die painfully. Preferably slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                            So it's more than a concern, it's also a hope, eh?

You scum.

Hope you die painfully. Preferably slowly.
                            Perhaps I/You will from those tiny particles you and i inhaled all those years before.

Hey friend, no need to be like that. The fact that we have all been sucking up those hot particles is fact man.

Dont shoot the messenger.

Comment

You're a sad POS. Worrying is one thing. Hoping people get radiation poisoning is evil beyond expression.

But you like it like that, so good luck.

And watch out for the buses. I'll be hoping you don't see that last one.

Comment

Working...
                              X