Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Going, going, gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going, going, gone?

Balentien hits 55th home run to tie Japan record

Looks like somebody is going to finally break Oh's single season homerun record. (I know Cabrera and Rhodes share the record with Oh, but most Japanese people don't count them, right?)

Wladmir Balentien, an outfielder with the Yakult Swallows, hit his 55 HR last night to move into a tie with Oh (Rhodes and Cabrera). Oh set his record in 1964 and each time it has been challenged over the years by a non-Japanese player (most notably by Bass in the 1985, Rhodes in 2001 and Cabrera in 2002) 'The Gods of Puro Yakyuu' did whatever they could to ensure that Oh's record was not broken. Bass got to 54, but Oh pesonally made sure that was as far as he got. Both Rhodes and Cabrera actually did get to 55, but then mysteriously never saw another hittable pitch.

Balentien hit his 55th in Game #122 (He's actually only played in 109 games which means he's hitting HRs at a even more amazing rate) which means he has 22 games left to break the record. 1 HR in 22 games should be no problem at all; however, 'The Gods of Puro Yakyuu' are not just going to let one of their most sacred records be broken by a barbarian without putting up a fight. So, it's going to be interesting to see what they try and do this time.

It's kind of hard to pitch around the same player for 21 straight games without anybody noticing, right? However, if Balentien were to accidently get hit by a pitch on the hand or arm or perhaps hit by an errant throw while running the bases, then it's just bad luck. Even better for 'The Gods' would be if he had some non-baseball related accident such as tripping and falling or maybe even a traffic accident. Yakult stinks this year and Balentien has been the only positive for them all season, but I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that some people within his own organization are privately rooting against him.

The Swallows host the Carp tonight. Game starts at 18:00. Balentien bats cleanup. We should know by 19:00 if they are going to pitch to him or not. Hopefully, he'll hit the record breaker his first time up and get it out of the way. BTW, Balentien has hit at least 1 HR in his past 3 games. Will he make it 4 games in a row tonight? Will they even give him the chance?
    Last edited by Shimi; 2013-09-12, 03:21 PM.

Interesting! Keep us posted.
    I suppose you've read 'You Gotta Have Wa' - if you haven't, it's right up your street.

Comment

OH no!!!

It seems that Wladmir Balentien was picked up by orange clad officials, taken to the airport and deported this afternoon!!!

I'm just kidding...maybe?

I remember Rhodes had about a weeks worth of games left in his season, did he not? Wasn't the last series against Daiei?

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
        ...'You Gotta Have Wa' - ...
        Looks like a fun read. You happen to know a link or two for an ebook version? Couldn't find one on itunes or amazon.

Comment

Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwvmRFt_CE

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post

I remember Rhodes had about a weeks worth of games left in his season, did he not? Wasn't the last series against Daiei?
            Really don't care about baseball, but remember that farce. For some reason the pitcher couldn't come anywhere near the guy holding the bat, nothing subtle about it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PUNCHtoTHEguts View Post
              Looks like a fun read. You happen to know a link or two for an ebook version? Couldn't find one on itunes or amazon.
              I could only find the book copy on Amazon. I do recommend it though. Even though I've got no interest in or understanding of baseball (I'm British), I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Although both teams combined for 6 HRs in tonight's game, Balentien alas did not get #56. Hiroshima did pitch to him though. He ended up 1 for 3, with a walk, groundout (6-3), a strike out and a single. Batter before him hit a HR in the first inning so I guess the walk was not too surprising. Next game is tomorrow against the Tigers at Jingu.

Comment

I reckon the Gods of Yakkyu will allow him to get it. NHK news are showing interest and reporting his progress, which they would never do if there was a conspiracy to prevent him from getting the 56th home run. Watch out for the extensive reporting of how wonderful Oh was when the record is broken.

Comment

Harry has such a problem with people talking about drinking, but is happy to watch grown adults run around in circles chasing a ball, something most people grow out of in childhood. And of all the games where adults run around in tight pants chasing a ball, baseball has to be about the most boring of them all, since 3/4 of the time they aren't even chasing the ball.

Strange some people's priorities.

Comment

Apparently the Japanese are 'Ready to see the record fall' (After not allowing TWO other gaijin to get past Oh)
                      That's big of them.

Comment

The real record is that pitcher that has won every game this year with out taking a loss, now that is amazing. Being a pro pitcher is very difficult and to win that many games without losing has never been done! However a player hitting a home run is said to be very common now days and lately most of them have been accused of doping. Only 7 pro players said to have been clean have hit 55 home runs or more in a year: Babe Ruth, Oh, Micky Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roger Maris and now Balentien!

Will Balentien break the Babe Ruth mark of 60 ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
                          The real record is that pitcher that has won every game this year with out taking a loss, now that is amazing. Being a pro pitcher is very difficult and to win that many games without losing has never been done! However a player hitting a home run is said to be very common now days and lately most of them have been accused of doping. Only 7 pro players said to have been clean have hit 55 home runs or more in a year: Babe Ruth, Oh, Micky Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roger Maris and now Balentien!

Will Balentien break the Babe Ruth mark of 60 ?

The most Aaron got was 47.

Balentien?

The guy hit a total of 15 home runs in five MLB seasons!

He's dirty.

Comment

From what I have read, you are the first to claim that this guy is dirty! Aaron might only gotten 47 in a single season but he got the most ever in the long run!

Seems that the players of today are alway considered "dirty" whether they are or not, due to the boys that were. It is a shame, you say this Ballentien is "dirty" is that based on real proof or are you pulling a "Brown Cow" and talking out of your butt . He has the power and a very quick swing and he is young, plus he is getting the chance to play in more games than he did in the major league and of course the quality of the pitchers here is " inferior ", but is he really " dirty" ?
                            Last edited by TheHotCondom; 2013-09-14, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHotCondom View Post
                              From what I have read, you are the first to claim that this guy is dirty! Aaron might only gotten 47 in a single season but he got the most ever in the long run!

Seems that the players of today are alway considered "dirty" whether they are or not, due to the boys that were. It is a shame, you say this Ballentien is "dirty" is that based on real proof or are you pulling a "Brown Cow" and talking out of your butt . He has the power and a very quick swing and he is young, plus he is getting the chance to play in more games than he did in the major league and of course the quality of the pitchers here is " inferior ", but is he really " dirty" ?

While J-pro baseball isn't on par with MLB it's still very good esp. the pitching.

I find it hard believing Ballentien could post big HR numbers after showing such little pop in the US without the use of steroids.

Granted he had less than 600 at bats in the big leagues but if you look closely at his stats he wasn't much more than a singles/doubles hitter
                              http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...alenwl01.shtml

And now he's chasing Oh?

Comment

Working...
                              X