Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Stalking laws working well...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalking laws working well...

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- A Japanese man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of stabbing a high school girl in western Tokyo, police said.The 21-year-old man was being held for attempted murder in Mitaka after allegedly attacking Saaya Suzuki, 18, at around 4:50 p.m. on a street in a residential district, the police said.
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm028000c.html

The above quote was taken from The Mainichi Shimbun, but, get a load of the follow up story:

"Earlier Tuesday, Saaya Suzuki and her parents visited a police station to report that she was being stalked by Charles Thomas Ikenaga. Police called his mobile phone three times to issue a warning, but he did not answer the phone."
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm034000c.html

The phone call warnings were ineffective, so he ended up killing her around 5pm, the very same day the warnings were sent.

Out of curiosity, what would you have had them do differently?

Comment

• Old Style
      Old Style commented
      Editing a comment
      How about dispatching police to his house/work/school and having a talk with him to get his side of the story and going from there?

Phone first? Seriously?

• Esoteric
      Esoteric commented
      Editing a comment
      Who's to say that wasn't the next step? Nothing in the article indicated their next plans? Why is there something wrong with a phone call? I got a call from the police as a teenager regarding something I had done, and I assure you it was scary enough to stop me from doing it.

• Old Style
      Old Style commented
      Editing a comment
      You may be right, but I've always found that doing something face to face, has a much greater impact than an email or a phone call.

She's dead, so obviously, the phone calls were useless.

I wonder how long this stalking had been going on. Seems strange that this guy decides to attach her on the same day they visited the police.

Comment

attack not attach

When is the edit function going to work?

Comment

• Old Style
        Old Style commented
        Editing a comment
        My edditt buttonn werks from time two time........but knot every

It was very unfortunate that a life was lost in this case, but the police have to consider the best use of their manpower. Attempting to contact someone by phone seems a reasonable first step and I imagine would have put a stop to a stalker in the vast majority of cases.

Comment

• Old Style
        Old Style commented
        Editing a comment
        Then her best option would have been to dial 110.

She should have reported that she saw the man with a suspicious object in his hands, possibly a gun.

Yes, I know this is Japan, but there was some shooting in Tokyo just the other day, wasn't there?

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
      I wonder how long this stalking had been going on. Seems strange that this guy decides to attach her on the same day they visited the police.
      I haven't had a chance to watch the news, so I can't answer that just yet.

I would guess that he'd been watching her for awhile, but...who knows.

Comment

I donft think a phone call from the police is generally going to stop a stalker. A stalker is like a drug addict who is living in a different reality. A visit by the police may not stop it either, but at least gives the police a chance at evaluating the mind of the stalker and gives them an opportunity to take further action should it be needed.

Comment

Seems pretty half hearted to just call someone, like they werent taking it seriously at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
            I donft think a phone call from the police is generally going to stop a stalker. A stalker is like a drug addict who is living in a different reality. A visit by the police may not stop it either, but at least gives the police a chance at evaluating the mind of the stalker and gives them an opportunity to take further action should it be needed.
            I agree. Had the police spoken to him directly, judging by his responses, they might have been able to either put a little fear into the guy, or warn the girl that while at the moment, they're unable to do anything legally to stop him, she needs to keep her guard up and call them if she seems him nearby again.

Comment

It was pretty tragic and it escalated very rapidly.
              The stalker was the girl's ex-boyfriend
              The girl told her school last week she was being stalked and they called the cops. At this stage the cops didn't do anything about it.
              Then he started threatening to kill her a day or 2 ago. The school told her to go to the cops.
              She did yesterday, the cops tried calling the guy and then he showed up and killed her later that day.
              I don't think the cops acted THAT badly but considering they almost certainly had nothing more important to do then why not go visit the guy?
              Terrible case. Lovely girl dead, in an awful manner, and this loser gets to spend the rest of his life, or the better part in prison regretting murdering the person he loved most.

Comment

I believe one of the TV news programs stated that the police had called him three times but that he didnft call them back. I am wondering if they left a message for him. Maybe something like thus:

Ringc no answer, please leave a message:

Message: Hello, this is Sgt. Findperp at the Mitaka police station, and we would like to talk with you. Please return a call at xyz and ask to be put thru to me in the Arrest-the-Perp Investigations Division. I will be anxiously awaiting your call.

Comment

• rm83
                  rm83 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If he realised it was the police calling him and why, that could have been what set him off, which would make it a very serious ____ up indeed.

• cucashopboy
                  cucashopboy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There would have been more apologies in the message. Hello, it is inexcusable of me to disturb you, but...

Not that it matters, but is this guy of mixed race?

Comment

• rm83
                  rm83 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Think so. When we saw it on the news first time my gf said he was 'Arabic', although dont think she was paying full attention

• rm83
                  rm83 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah just seen e comment directly below, she wasn't paying attention at all then probably just took a guess from his picture, daft racist

• Old Style
                  Old Style commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In all fairness to your girlfriend:

"Witnesses had reportedly told the Metropolitan Police Department that they saw Ikenaga wearing what appeared to be a purple turban."

*Quote is taken from The Japan Times article link below*

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                You really think Japanese keystones can evaluate a mind of a crazy guy?

Sad really, lovely girl, only 18 years old and wannabe talento.

The guy was half Filipino, half Japanese btw

Comment

More details:

It seems that they initially made contact through Facebook, but I haven't heard if they had actually met socially before this.

She seems to have told her parents, then teachers as well:

"Her school principal told reporters that Suzuki had reported to her teachers last Friday and Monday that she was gscaredh because Ikenaga was stalking her and hanging around her house."

Her teacher then:

"A teacher at her school sought help about the stalking case from a nearby police station last week, and the case was referred to the Mitaka Police Station since that was where Suzuki lived."

Finally:

"Saaya Suzuki, 18, had gone to the police with her parents Tuesday morning to say she was being stalked by the suspect, who was later identified as Charles Thomas Ikenaga, 21. The police subsequently tried three times to call Ikenaga on his cellphone to issue a warning, but he didnft answer."

How about the police?

"The police opened an investigation into whether they responded properly."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UlXrAtKGG24

Comment

Talk about a "Red Flag"?

"Witnesses had reportedly told the Metropolitan Police Department that they saw Ikenaga wearing what appeared to be a purple turban."

I wonder if he wanted this to be blamed on Arab terrorists?

*Quote is taken from The Japan Times article link above*

Comment

Working...
                    X