Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Stalking laws working well...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Style
    started a topic Stalking laws working well...

Stalking laws working well...

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- A Japanese man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of stabbing a high school girl in western Tokyo, police said.The 21-year-old man was being held for attempted murder in Mitaka after allegedly attacking Saaya Suzuki, 18, at around 4:50 p.m. on a street in a residential district, the police said.
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm028000c.html

The above quote was taken from The Mainichi Shimbun, but, get a load of the follow up story:

"Earlier Tuesday, Saaya Suzuki and her parents visited a police station to report that she was being stalked by Charles Thomas Ikenaga. Police called his mobile phone three times to issue a warning, but he did not answer the phone."
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm034000c.html

The phone call warnings were ineffective, so he ended up killing her around 5pm, the very same day the warnings were sent.

• rm83
    replied
    God damn police. There's a reason they are hated worldwide

Leave a comment:

• Old Style
    commented on 's reply
    There's another good article about the stalking laws here:

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm036000c.html

• cucashopboy
    commented on 's reply
    There would have been more apologies in the message. Hello, it is inexcusable of me to disturb you, but...

• Old Style
    replied
    This is way creepy.

UPDATE:
    Man hid inside schoolgirl's home before fatal stabbing

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- A 21-year-old man who fatally stabbed a high school girl in Tokyo earlier this week had been waiting inside her home to ambush her, investigative sources said Thursday.
    Charles Thomas Ikenaga is suspected of stabbing Saaya Suzuki, 18, in front of her home in Mitaka, Tokyo, shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday, wounding her five times on the back of her neck and shoulder as well as her abdomen and arm, police sources said.
    Ikenaga said he entered her home through an unlocked upstairs window and waited for her, the sources said.
    The nature of the injuries indicates a relentless attack despite the victim's attempts to flee, showing clear intent to murder, they said. The sources said a witness saw the suspect in the street on top of Suzuki. She was confirmed dead at a hospital.
    The suspect, a former boyfriend of the victim, was earlier quoted as saying he had "waited for her near her home with the intent to kill her," and that he held a grudge against her over the end of their relationship.
    Police sent Ikenaga to prosecutors Thursday, upgrading the charge from attempted murder to murder.
    After she consulted police earlier Tuesday about being stalked by Ikenaga, an officer confirmed her presence in her home by phone around 4:30 p.m. that day, they said.
    An aspiring actress, Suzuki became acquainted with Ikenaga via Facebook about two years ago and had dated him until last fall, when she went to the United States to study. Ikenaga, an unemployed resident of Kyoto, had been waiting at places frequented by Suzuki for several days before the incident, according to the account she gave police.
    http://mainichi.jp/english/english/n...dm064000c.html

Leave a comment:

• Old Style
    commented on 's reply
    You may be right, but I've always found that doing something face to face, has a much greater impact than an email or a phone call.

She's dead, so obviously, the phone calls were useless.

• Esoteric
    commented on 's reply
    Who's to say that wasn't the next step? Nothing in the article indicated their next plans? Why is there something wrong with a phone call? I got a call from the police as a teenager regarding something I had done, and I assure you it was scary enough to stop me from doing it.

• Old Style
    replied
    Talk about a "Red Flag"?

"Witnesses had reportedly told the Metropolitan Police Department that they saw Ikenaga wearing what appeared to be a purple turban."

I wonder if he wanted this to be blamed on Arab terrorists?

*Quote is taken from The Japan Times article link above*

Leave a comment:

• Old Style
    commented on 's reply
    In all fairness to your girlfriend:

"Witnesses had reportedly told the Metropolitan Police Department that they saw Ikenaga wearing what appeared to be a purple turban."

*Quote is taken from The Japan Times article link below*

• rm83
    commented on 's reply
    Ah just seen e comment directly below, she wasn't paying attention at all then probably just took a guess from his picture, daft racist

• rm83
    commented on 's reply
    Think so. When we saw it on the news first time my gf said he was 'Arabic', although dont think she was paying full attention

• Old Style
    replied
    More details:

It seems that they initially made contact through Facebook, but I haven't heard if they had actually met socially before this.

She seems to have told her parents, then teachers as well:

"Her school principal told reporters that Suzuki had reported to her teachers last Friday and Monday that she was gscaredh because Ikenaga was stalking her and hanging around her house."

Her teacher then:

"A teacher at her school sought help about the stalking case from a nearby police station last week, and the case was referred to the Mitaka Police Station since that was where Suzuki lived."

Finally:

"Saaya Suzuki, 18, had gone to the police with her parents Tuesday morning to say she was being stalked by the suspect, who was later identified as Charles Thomas Ikenaga, 21. The police subsequently tried three times to call Ikenaga on his cellphone to issue a warning, but he didnft answer."

How about the police?

"The police opened an investigation into whether they responded properly."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UlXrAtKGG24

Leave a comment:

• wernst
    replied
    Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
    I donft think a phone call from the police is generally going to stop a stalker. A stalker is like a drug addict who is living in a different reality. A visit by the police may not stop it either, but at least gives the police a chance at evaluating the mind of the stalker and gives them an opportunity to take further action should it be needed.
    You really think Japanese keystones can evaluate a mind of a crazy guy?

Sad really, lovely girl, only 18 years old and wannabe talento.

The guy was half Filipino, half Japanese btw

Leave a comment:

• Old Style
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry, my edit button is still in "working" mode.
    The reason I ask is is that his name is Charles Thomas Ikenaga.

If he is a 'half', I'd just like to mentally prepare myself for the next wave of news focus:

"The Half...Please remember they are only half Japanese and may inherit violent tendencies from the foreign parent."

• Old Style
    replied
    Not that it matters, but is this guy of mixed race?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X