Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Foreign English Teacher Facing Criticism for Playing "Hangman" at School...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
    This is just pure scapegoating. I agree that if there was a suicide and the ALT knew, it would be a little insensitive to keep playing it.
    A little??
    But obviously he didn't and it seems like neither ALT or JTE had problems with this game until someone made a stink.
    Obviously??
    I play hangman with my students and all of them love the game.
    Would you quit the moment you found out that it might be a sensitive issue to any of the participants or are you just very KY?

Comment

Originally posted by Yekker View Post
      A foolish and insensitive teacher like the one depicted in the article... It was probably just a case of giving him enough rope.
      Still kickin', he's got too much slack as is

Comment

I wish to enter the fray, as it were, on this issue. ONLY because a mate of mine told me she received an email from a long-standing, respected business English dispatcher, who said there would be a new policy, the game would no longer be permited in the classroom.

The game --

I had never really thought about using such word games in the classroom until one day a J-friend, and fair speaker of English, presented me a photocopy of a page of text in which the final letter of each word along the right column of text had been truncated. The friend asked for my help in reconstructing the text, as he could not. It was then that I saw a need. Text completion maybe studied in Japan, but word completion, not so.

On the rare occasion, I use the game to refresh vocabulary my students had previously been introduced to but had not acquired. As the randomness of their guesses continues, I take that opportunity to show that the letters S, D, R, T, N, are the most commonly used in the language, with M, G, L, H, C, and so on following, Q, X, Z being the least common. Of the vowels, E, being most common and then A, O, I, U. Another point, with the phonetic sounds, a is used for bee, cee, tee, u; but an for em, en, ef, an o. As in the sentence, "I would like an EX, please."

The business aspect.

The game of hangman became Wheel of Fortune and was syndicated to every television station in the US and Canada (ironically by Sony Pictures Television). It made Merv Griffin rich and made household names for Vanna White, Pat Sajak, Susan Stafford, and Chuck Woolery. 41 countries have had their own version, many in languages other than English. If there is a business opportunity to envision "Kotasu Tako", can a game show version of "ShiriTori" be far behind??

On the offensive nature...

I have asked people about their experiences in the aftermath of the Kobe earthquake, with no problems.

I watched my Japanese co-workers play an arcade game in the game room at a nice resort hotel in Shirahama. The arcade game involved using a rifle to "shoot all the white people".

No one in Japan seems to connect the atrocities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with what happened December 07/08, 1941. Infamy is selective, apparently. Or why Hiroshima and Nagasaki are to be remembered, but Yasukuni forgotten. You cannot have one without the other.

As someone raised catholic, I have to smile and say, 'Sorry' to employers who ask me to explain all about the Holiest day of the Roman Catholic year... with rabbits, chocolate, and colored eggs. These were not part of my upbringing, so we both end up with rather stunned looks on our faces.

I have been asked what color my pubic hair is.

One female friend had her breast grabbed and felt by a complete stanger -- another female bather at a public onsen -- uninvitedly!!

Another J-friend says her acquaintance still tells people her teenage son fell from his grandmotherfs 20th floor apartment balcony, and the pressure of attending junior high/boarding school in Europe had nothing to do with his death.

Are there other ways in which to signify 'game over'?... yea.

Are the topics of death or capital punishment or suicide completely taboo?.... no.

Should I, as a native citizen, give up my country's colorful past and its phrases like, 'Hanging's no good for the likes of him!' ? ... well, I think that is part of the reason I am here in the first place.... or shall I run out and dye my hair completely black to match the locals???

My point: you can go back and forth all day on what is offensive and to whom. At the end of the day, you would still come up with the same result. People have different values that have to be dealt with by both sides, not ignored. Just think of all the opportunities to use language in discussing those values!!

The game CAN have a place in the classroom, not a major place, but a place, nonetheless.

Comment

Hello! How the f*** are ya! Uncle Jenks here to remind Japan to harden the f*** up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Dumbasses can't teach kids to fight to resolve their own issues and create their own self-worth and self-confidence, thus resigning them to victimization and despair. Excellent f****** strategy and it's worked so well! And hey, ban "the game" and things will magically take care of themselves huh. How about this Japan, Dr. Chopper prescribes that you harden the f*** up!
          Last edited by Jenks; 2010-08-03, 05:37 AM.

Comment

All the lowlifes hanging around this thread...sheesh

Originally posted by Jenks View Post
            Still kickin', he's got too much slack as is
            Sounds to me like they really tightened up on him.

Comment

A heartfulness answer

Originally posted by monkeywrench View Post
              Sounds to me like they really tightened up on him.

I'm sure if he weren't a bit slow and a lot naive, he would have felt the noose tighten after he was lynched in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                I'm sure if he weren't a bit slow and a lot naive, he would have felt the noose tighten after he was lynched in the media.

he just made a simple mistake. any one of us could have easily done the same.

.... ask knot for whom the bell tolls....

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                  .... ask knot for whom the bell tolls....
                  That one was more than a little forced. You're choking, man.

Comment

there you go. kicking the chair out from under me....

Comment

ROFLMAO! And responding to yourself with one as equally funny! I think im in love!

Comment

Guy was a scapegoat pure and simple. You can't play a game of hangman with kids anymore? Is that how watered down ____ has to be now? We have to substitute any sort of violence/realism with cute ____ so students don't get any ideas. I can only imagine how their history books are written. It's not like their TV shows don't portray any violence right? /sarcasm. People need to wake up and get a clue, said student who hung himself was looking to kill himself - not prove the inappropriateness of hangman. He obviously had bigger issues and I don't think that by stopping teachers from playing this game the system is somehow curbing the suicide rate. The teacher who played that game likely didn't connect the dots or just didn't know about what happened years ago. btw that whole BS part about power harassment was a joke.

Comment

Working...
                        X