Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

A place for those who are not happy here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A place for those who are not happy here...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110521/..._rogue_planets

Japanese Astronomers Discover 'Rogue Planets'

Mark Whittington – Sat May 21, 5:06 pm ET

The BBC is reporting that Japanese astronomers believe they have detected a number of "planets" that are floating about unconnected to any star. Moreover, these objects may be fairly common in our galaxy.

"The objects revealed themselves by bending the light of more distant stars, an effect
    called 'gravitational microlensing.'

"Objects of large enough mass can bend light, as Albert Einstein predicted. If a large object passes in front of a more distant background star, it may act as a lens, bending and distorting the light of that star so that it may appear to brighten significantly."

The Japanese astronomers have found ten of these planets, about the size of Jupiter, within 10 astronomical units -- ten times the distance between the Sun and the Earth -- from our solar system.

There are two theories about the origin of these bodies. One is that they were formed in other star systems, but were ejected into interstellar space due to the interplay of gravitational forces. The other is that these bodies formed in deep space, perhaps as proto-stars that were too small to ignite.

According to Space.Com, the conjecture that such "rogue planets" are common is causing scientists to rethink how planets are formed to start with. Takahiro Sumi, of Osaka University, the chief author of the study, suggests that the theory that core accretion, in which "--dust coalesces to form a solid core, which later accretes gas around it, creating a planet" will have to be rethought. Sumi suggests an alternate theory of planet formation, "The gravitational instability model invokes the rapid collapse of gas, with a core forming later due to sedimentation."

More study will be needed to further ascertain the numbers and nature of these bodies wandering through interstellar space. In any event, the discovery of these bodies has altered scientific understanding of the universe.

The idea of "rogue planets" or as some prefer to call them "orphan planets" is not new. David J. Stevenson suggested their existence in a "Nature" article in 1998. Stevenson even suggested that in some circumstances such bodies might harbor life. The theory is that some of the Jupiter sized rogue planets have Earth sized satellites that are warmed by tidal heating and have oceans of warm water beneath an icy surface. Other rogue planets with life might have enough warmth due to geothermal heat to harbor some kind of life. In any case, as the saying goes, it would not be life as we know it.

"Rogue Planets" have been a staple of science fiction for decades. The 1930s novel "When World Collide", made into a movie in the 1950s, postulated the arrival of two rogue planets into our solar system, one of which destroys the Earth. The short story "A Pail of Air" postulates our own world becoming a "rogue planet."

Lets rogue I'm happy and can be floating about any unconnected star...lets rock LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
      Lets rogue I'm happy and can be floating about any unconnected star...lets rock LOL
      ...you do not seem all that connected here on this rock..

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
        Maybe we should send her to this rock? Scientists describe it as warm and wet http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/gliese-581d-con.php

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
          That is because I'm more connected to the real life rock an rooo ... but this one here on GP seems to be more insightless and outsightful and also aaawfulsome time to time, nevertheless I'm still floating on and on ... Chuuu ...(>_<)
          And thanks to you WB you helped me a lot ... sight
          Last edited by Kiboo; 2011-05-23, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
            Maybe we should send her to this rock? Scientists describe it as warm and wet http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/gliese-581d-con.php
            OMG that cool my home sweet home ...LOL

Comment

And you'd then weigh in at a svelte 400kgs. They believe median gravity is in excess of 2.5gs

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                And you'd then weigh in at a svelte 400kgs. They believe median gravity is in excess of 2.5gs
                Ed, why they believe so? They don't know for sure yet? Is that your hypothesis? I'll be away from GP now for some time cause I still go to school and my exams are knocking on my door. But, then I'll be back to that attachment. Interesting, very interesting though... LOL Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X