Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Punishing Dissent: post 'The Cove' fallout and goings on in Taiji

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
    An 8 years protest against the construction of a new US military sea base at the Henoko Sea, where is very rich with sea grass beds, coral reefs and a variety of marine life including Japan's Dugongs

As of June 12, 2007, their sit-in protest has been going on for 1150 days. See Japanese Documentary 1 of 4 and also 2 of 4 4 of 4 ... etc (Part 2 is a study of stoney faced bureaucratic response and little tricks such as limiting numbers into hall). In one instance, underwater construction workers held a diver-protestor and shut off his air supply whilst underwater.

The number of people participating in the campaign was over 60,000, including 10,000 who protested at sea. Note age of protesters. Even the local Christian priest was out.

Yes, by all means let's kick the US military out of Okinawa. And then let's have these protestors use all the millions of dollars they possess to build new businesses and industries to replace the lost buiness and industries that the US forces have provided. Look at what happened to Subic Bay!

Once the US bases are gone the economy of Okinawa WILL tank. Property rates will crash and people will flee the island.

Comment

• Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
      Yes, by all means let's kick the US military out of Okinawa.

Once the US bases are gone the economy of Okinawa WILL tank. Property rates will crash and people will flee the island.
      I think you are wrong and the situation is a bit more complex.

90,000 protest against US bases

Last edited by beentheredonethat; 2012-02-26, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• More of the same ... "one of the most enduring protest movements in the world".

Comment

• And a bit of history ... the 1970 Koza Riot (cool contemporary beat).

On December 20, 1970, a vehicle driven by an American soldier hit an Okinawan. The Military Police who rushed to the site paid no attention to the victim and tried to carry away the car to the base. Around 1,000 people surrounded them and protested. The frightened MP started fired warning shots. As the angry people closed in, the MPs ran away firing shots.

The soldier responsible for the incident was beaten up. More and more people gathered and started burning the vehicles nearby such as army trucks, MP jeeps and cars with yellow plates that indicated the US ownership. Towards midnight, the crowd kept growing. One group burned police boxes while the other went to Kadena Base.

They broke the gate and set fire on the filing cabinets and burned part of the new American Kadena Middle school. Armed soldiers fired tear gas. Helicopters also sprayed tear gas over the masses. This group was pushed outside by the armed soldiers while the other headed towards the U.S. headquarters. By dawn, they all dispersed. Some 80 cars were destroyed. 19 were arrested and many wounded. The police applied the crime of riot but could not prosecute anyone. They were charged with other crimes and punished. There was no damage recorded to persons or properties of Okinawa.

Comment

I think you are wrong and the situation is a bit more complex.

90,000 protest against US bases

Finally mutual cooperation between humanitarian liberals and the uyoku. It is a beautiful thing, music made with megaphones. Too bad all the sexy girls were getting shagged by you know what army

Comment

• Originally posted by ThaHamburgler View Post
              Too bad all the sexy girls were getting shagged by you know what army
              ... They or the 7,000 Filipino prostitutes flown in especially one presumes? I suppose it is an improvement from the 10,000 or so Okinawan women forced into prostitution by poverty after WWII and the rapes, but the hypersexualization of Asian women by the US military has been widely criticized.

Here's a good example of "Punishing Dissent" Japanese style.

Okinawa Defense Facilities Administration workers are attempting to construct a helipad for US military use in the Takae district of Higashi Village against the 30 or so local inhabitants who are peacefully barring them from entering the worksite.

According to a representative of the group "Heripaddo iranai juumin no kai" (basically "Association of local residents who oppose the construction of an unwanted helipad" ヘリパッドいらない住民の会, Defense Facilities Administration workers began bellowing at them through at least 10 bullhorns..

The noise level apparently reached 75-80 decibels. Mr. Ashimine said that while the noise was certainly not pleasant they were able to withstand it and hope to be able to continue their resistance for the rest of the month.

The English language Voice of Takae reports that Yanbaru, used for jungle warfare training, is a forest area that is home to over 4,000 species, many on the Red List meaning their are endangered. It is not just locally but globally significant. In 2008, the Japanese government sued activists ... including an 8 year old child ... for obstructing construction.

Locals are also upset by the threat of test flights of the MV22 Osprey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120126_0918_MK1Tgc9y_r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1468763
              Last edited by beentheredonethat; 2012-02-26, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Police crack down on anti-US bases in Okinawa protestors handing in petition to US Embassy in Tokyo. Note protester carried out by his hair.

Comment

... They or the 7,000 Filipino prostitutes flown in especially one presumes? I suppose it is an improvement from the 10,000 or so Okinawan women forced into prostitution by poverty after WWII and the rapes, but the hypersexualization of Asian women by the US military has been widely criticized.

Here's a good example of "Punishing Dissent" Japanese style.

Okinawa Defense Facilities Administration workers are attempting to construct a helipad for US military use in the Takae district of Higashi Village against the 30 or so local inhabitants who are peacefully barring them from entering the worksite.

According to a representative of the group "Heripaddo iranai juumin no kai" (basically "Association of local residents who oppose the construction of an unwanted helipad" ヘリパッドいらない住民の会, Defense Facilities Administration workers began bellowing at them through at least 10 bullhorns..

The noise level apparently reached 75-80 decibels. Mr. Ashimine said that while the noise was certainly not pleasant they were able to withstand it and hope to be able to continue their resistance for the rest of the month.

The English language Voice of Takae reports that Yanbaru, used for jungle warfare training, is a forest area that is home to over 4,000 species, many on the Red List meaning their are endangered. It is not just locally but globally significant. In 2008, the Japanese government sued activists ... including an 8 year old child ... for obstructing construction.

Locals are also upset by the threat of test flights of the MV22 Osprey.

[ATTACH]15996[/ATTACH]

Military takes enough precautions for endangered species, even has rapid response teams to help out any hurt or endangered species. Funny stories bout those.

But ya, bullhorns aren't loud compared to a heliport. Helis are frigging loud. Still, girls love marines. Nothin you can do about that and you know it's true and of course many love prostitutes too *shrug*

Comment

• Originally posted by therebeenthatdone
                    Sea Shepherd Cove Guardian Erwin Vermeulen was found innocent at a recent trial ... despite being held for 64 days in an cold and damp cell.

The period for which the prosecutor had to appeal against this decision has passed and it has been announced that they will not be pursuing him any further.

Erwin was innocent. His accusers lied and attempted to find an innocent individual guilty.

He was held for 64 days having committed no offence.

There are currently on average 12 activists monitoring the facilities for slaughtering and holding dolphins in captivity along with a - huge taxes paid for - police and coastal guard presence.
                    Since Vermeulen has been exonerated by the court and the prosecutor has decided not to appeal, he can now go after the person who started the criminal proceeding against him in a civil court of law. He won't get any big bucks but here's Sea Shepherd's big chance to drag the powers that be through the filth and muck and seriously tarnish their image in Japan.

Comment

I suspect that will happen ... and that the authorities have scored a bit of an own goal on this (which was, of course, my initial question).

It is a shame for them because thanks to Sea Shepherd's own goal the season before, and the patient manners of the Japanese police, the Japanese authorities were in the lead up until this point.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the outcome is ... if anyone else knows of any similar such successful cases, I would be interested in knowing of them.

Obviously, a 64 day detention would have probably lost any normal Japanese citizen their job and perhaps their career. I note the Japanese media on the subject is downplaying the innocence factor.
                      Well. if I were the Sea Sheperd rep in Japan I'd be lining up a good lawyer skilled in civil courts cases to go after the main witness. I'd also be lining up some bloggers to troll 2channel and the SNS sites with big exposes as to how much money the bureaucrats and the government are skimming off the earthquake funds to subsidize the farce at Taiji.

Comment

I suspect that will happen ...
                        I don't know... just because he was found innocent this time, doesn't mean that he will be so lucky next time..... If he is still in Japan, then clearly he didn't learn his lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                          Well. if I were the Sea Sheperd rep in Japan I'd be lining up a good lawyer skilled in civil courts cases to go after the main witness. I'd also be lining up some bloggers to troll 2channel and the SNS sites with big exposes as to how much money the bureaucrats and the government are skimming off the earthquake funds to subsidize the farce at Taiji.
                          I think you have more brains than Sea Shepherd ... their antics seem solely focused on their Western donation making funders and they seem incapable of assessing the negative impact some of the actions have had on the cause.

Comment

Loved the music.
                            And I have zero problem with the contents of the video.
                            Dolphins are a$$holes really.

Killers
                            http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-murderers/731

Who enjoy killing and even rape.

http://www.broowaha.com/articles/496...-a-hidden-evil
                            Last edited by YokohamaTommy; 2012-03-08, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                              Loved the music.
                              And I have zero problem with the contents of the video.
                              Dolphins are a$$holes really.

Killers
                              http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-murderers/731

Who enjoy killing and even rape.

http://www.broowaha.com/articles/496...-a-hidden-evil
                              Male dolphins share a number of similar psychological similarities to males of Pan troglytes or that social group in H sapiens sapiens known as a buncha likkered up redneck males on a tear.

Comment

• Originally posted by therethatbeendone

It reflects poorly on the moderators when they will delete such a post but leave such adolescent stuff as the above.
                                Try not to step on your douchey robes there Judge.
                                Can't you take a hint?

Comment

Working...
                                X