Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Izakaya restaurant chain workerfs suicide recognized as work-related

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izakaya restaurant chain workerfs suicide recognized as work-related

And you think ALT jobs are hell:

Izakaya restaurant chain workerfs suicide recognized as work-related

February 23 & 24, 2012
    On February 14, a workersf accident compensation insurance examiner determined that a worker of a major Japanese casual dining and drinking (izakaya) chain company committed suicide due to mental health problems caused by excessively long working hours.

The 26-year-old Mori Mina killed herself in June 2008, just two months after she joined Watami Foodservice Co., Ltd., which operates izakaya restaurants throughout Japan.

In April 2008, Mori was assigned to a Watami restaurant in Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture. A document compiled by her bereaved family shows that on weekdays, after working from 3 pm to 3 am, she had to remain at her workplace for two hours in order to return home on the first train in the morning. On weekends, she worked an additional three hours. Even on holidays, she had to attend early morning study meetings.

Four months after her death, the bereaved filed a claim with the Yokosuka Labor Standards Inspection Office seeking recognition for Morifs suicide as work-related, but the claim was denied.

Under the workersf accident compensation insurance system, those who are not satisfied with a labor standards inspection office decision may demand an independent examination by a Workersf Accident Compensation Insurance examiner appointed by the Labor Minister. Making use of this system, the bereaved family called on the examiner of the Kanagawa Prefectural Labor Bureau to reconsider the Yokosuka inspection officefs decision.

Judging from the facts that her monthly hours of overtime work exceeded 140 hours and that she was unable to take enough break time and holidays to maintain her health, the examiner recognized that main cause of her mental health problem as work-related stress.

A Watami spokesperson commented, gThe examinerfs recognition is regrettable.h

That's nuts isn't it?
    Like they couldn't have given her decent breaks and holidays. I'm sure a chain as big as Watami has a large enough labor pool to do that.
    And what's with the 'study sessions'? Surely one or 2 would be enough.
    I do like that chain but I will boycott them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
      That's nuts isn't it?
      Like they couldn't have given her decent breaks and holidays. I'm sure a chain as big as Watami has a large enough labor pool to do that.
      And what's with the 'study sessions'? Surely one or 2 would be enough.
      I do like that chain but I will boycott them for a while.
      Yeah, I was thinking boycott. I always thought the servers in those places were a bit loopy--now I know why.

140 of overtime in a month? That's more than my regular time a month at a full-time job. And then the comment by Watami: gThe examinerfs recognition is regrettable.h WTF? Are they upset that they will no longer be able to work their employees to death?

Who are these kinds of people who don't have a shred of compassion for other people?

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
        Yeah, I was thinking boycott. I always thought the servers in those places were a bit loopy--now I know why.

140 of overtime in a month? That's more than my regular time a month at a full-time job. And then the comment by Watami: gThe examinerfs recognition is regrettable.h WTF? Are they upset that they will no longer be able to work their employees to death?

Who are these kinds of people who don't have a shred of compassion for other people?
        This stuff happens all the time. Where some of my foreign students work p.t., the first day they tell them that sahbisu zangyou is a Japanese custom! They ask me, "Do we have to?"
        The suicide is terrible, BUT when I worked at McD's as a young teen and they worked me to the bone, forcing me to wear a silly paper hat and what not, well, when I had had enough, I QUIT! Duh! Watami should be fined for illegal labour practices only.

Comment

The owners of this restaurant chain should be forced to commit ritualistic suicide on public television.

Comment

Originally posted by displaced_gaijin View Post
            The owners of this restaurant chain should be forced to commit ritualistic suicide on public television.
            Or more realistically,
            The manager or whomever was in direct control (could be the regional, those guys are the epitome of a$$holes) should be fired, and the owners sued,
            don't you think?

But I am also at a bit of a loss:
            I've worked those kinds of hours for more than two months and did not want to kill myself.
            I just quit. (after 6 months)
            I know, I know,
            Japanese work group mentality etc..etc..
            This is another example of why some parts of Japanese work ethics may not be the best model to follow.

P.s.
            So...um..does this mean I'm going to have to wait more than 30 seconds extra for my beer refills now?
            Last edited by YokohamaTommy; 2012-03-09, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
              The suicide is terrible, BUT when I work at McD's and they work me to the bone, forcing me to wear a silly paper hat and what not,
              Speaking of which,
              would it kill you to kick a bratha down an extra creamer for my coffee next time?
              :P

Comment

this is just sad. another black eye for japan.

Comment

The suicide is terrible, BUT when I work at McD's and they work me to the bone, forcing me to wear a silly paper hat and what not,

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                  Speaking of which,
                  would it kill you to kick a bratha down an extra creamer for my coffee next time?
                  :P

Hey, no present tense! Past tense: workED. If I am in Tokyo (often I am) and you happen to be there, creamers are yours! But you really ought not to be eating in McD -- very bad for the health.

Really, the fast food industry and places like Watami in a sense are good for young people. They learn the value of HARD GRUNT work. I was so happy when my kid applied at DQ. He learned that university (among others) was his ticket away from western penury.
                  Last edited by Super Grover; 2012-03-09, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by super grover View Post
                    the suicide is terrible, but when i work at mcd's and they work me to the bone, forcing me to wear a silly paper hat and what not,

hey, no present tense! Past tense: Worked. If i am in tokyo (often i am) and you happen to be there, creamers are yours!
                    lol

Comment

Sad waste of a life for just a few bucks. I bet there was bullying and peer pressure to keep her from quitting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andun View Post
                        Sad waste of a life for just a few bucks. I bet there was bullying and peer pressure to keep her from quitting too.
                        There needs to be a service workers union.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                          There needs to be a service workers union.
                          Unions?
                          Yeah? That works out real well.
                          Here's a typical Union boss pretty much anywhere:

Unions always start with great things, but always end up corrupt and damaging to society.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                            Unions?
                            Yeah? That works out real well.
                            Here's a typical Union boss pretty much anywhere:

Unions always start with great things, but always end up corrupt and damaging to society.
                            Bullshit!!!

Comment

it's not bu11$hit, unions have no place in izakaya

but labor standards are enforced way too loosely countrywide

words like karoushi shouldn't even exist but they do, and the government doesn't seem to care

that watami location could have hired another part timer for no increase in overall salary costs

middle managers all around japan should be scourged until they understand the concept of work smarter not harder

Comment

Working...
                              X