Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

tsunami-tossed boat off coast of Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tsunami-tossed boat off coast of Canada

I knew there was a huge patch of debris from the tsunami that was headed toward the U.S. and Canada, but I had no idea it included ships!

March 20: A Japanese fishing boat lost in the Pacific Ocean after the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami was sighted drifting 150 nautical miles off the southern coast of Haida Gwaii near British Columbia, Canada.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – A large fishing vessel swept away by the tsunami that devastated Japan last year has been spotted adrift off British Columbia in western Canada.

Jeff Olsson of Victoria's Joint rescue coordination center says an airplane contracted by the government spotted the 50-foot-long vessel recently about 160 miles west of Haida Gwaii, slowly drifting toward shore.

The vessel has been identified as coming from Hokkaido, Japan. Olsson says no one is believed to be aboard and there's no environmental danger.

A maritime warning has been issued because the vessel could pose a navigational hazard.

About 5 million tons of debris were swept into the ocean in March 2011 when a magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami struck Japan.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/24...estern-canada/

The story says "no environmental danger", but all the rust on the side of that thing looks like an environmental issue to me.

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
    ... The story says "no environmental danger", but all the rust on the side of that thing looks like an environmental issue to me.
    That rust is adding iron to the ocean - which is iron depleted. Iron is necessary for the growth of many organisms. As a diver - I have seen many ship wrecks - where the ocean life surrounds the ship, but is absent on the surrounding ocean floor.

Comment

the rust on that ship is nothing but surface rust that's developed on the top of the paint.

somebody could probably get a wicked salvage if they landed on that ship and claimed it. i bet it still works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxbox View Post
        ... i bet it still works fine.
        Me too. But since the owner has been identified and contacted - it would be a good story if it could be returned and put back into service under the original owner. Distance, and of course cost - may keep that from happening.

It is amazing that it is still afloat, given that a good broadside wave would sink it.

Comment

hopefully he gets it back.

with summer just around the corner there's no better weather window than the coming months to send that boat back to japan.

Comment

Working...
          X