Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

3 executed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 executed

Well it seems that the tidal wave of executions has resumed….

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/20120329_19.html

3 death row inmates executed

Japan has executed 3 men whose death sentences had been finalized.

The executions on Thursday are the first to be held in 20 months in Japan.

One of the 3 executed is a 48-year-old man who smashed his car into a building in Yamaguchi Prefecture, killing 5 people and injuring 10 others in 1999.

Another is a 44-year-old man convicted of killing 2 women and stealing money in 2001 in Miyazaki Prefecture.

And lastly a 46-year-old man who broke into the home of his wife in Yokohama, killing his son and the parents of his wife in 2002. He and his wife were going through divorce proceedings.

Under the government of the Democratic Party, 2 death row inmates were executed in July, 2010.

But former justice ministers were cautious about sending inmates to the gallows and there were no executions last year.

But Justice Minister Toshio Ogawa said that he ordered the execution of the 3 people to fulfill his responsibility as Justice Minister. He pointed out the provisions of the law and the support for capital punishment by the majority of Japanese in an opinion poll.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:57 +0900 (JST)

And from BBC…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17545494

Japan executes first three prisoners since 2010

Japan has hanged three death row inmates in its first executions since July 2010.

Reports said the unnamed prisoners, hanged in separate prisons, had all been convicted of multiple murders.

Japan is one of the few advanced industrialised nations to retain the death penalty. It is usually reserved for multiple murders.

Though the majority support the death penalty, rights groups say Japan's death row is particularly harsh.

"Today, three executions were carried out," Justice Minister Toshio Ogawa said. "I have carried out my duty as a justice minister as stipulated by law."

There are currently more than 100 people on death row, including Shoko Asahara, the mastermind behind the 1995 sarin gas attacks on the Tokyo subway. No executions were carried out in 2011.

Official figures in Japan as of 2011 put support for capital punishment at over 80%.

But rights groups like Amnesty International have called for it to be abolished, saying the condemned have few visits, little exercise and are forced to spend almost all of their time sitting down in their cells.

Sometimes held for decades, they are not warned in advance of when they will be put to death, meaning they fear every day is their last, the BBC's Roland Buerk reports.

Originally posted by thefg
    poor little mass murderers....sob sob
    They dont find out the sentence will be carried out until about an hour beforehand. Little murderers maybe but at least in the US they get time to make peace with their lot. In Japan its all over in one hour, no appeals to the governor here.

Comment

anyone who kills kids or a mass murderer deserves no sympathy and has forfeited all rights to expect sympathy

lets reserve the liberal sandal wearing eco-mentalist nonsense for small cute animals we eat, lets not start applying it to people who kill kids or trains full of innocents
      You will forget one guy last month got taken off death row when it was found that the evidence against him was circumstantial and it couldnt be substantively proven that the guy was guilty. some have spent up to 40 years on death row.

There have been several cases in the US where people have been found innocent after being executed.

You be the judge.

Comment

let god sort them out
        I honestly have no time for that.
        Can't you people do anything for yourselves?

Hugs and Kisses,
        ~Kami-Sama

P.s. I saw what you did with that Hot Dog. Great idea!

Comment

yup i say kill them all.

let god sort them out

seriously it should only be applied to cases where there can be no doubt at all of guilt. ergo - not many
          The question is not whether they are guilty - as they all are guilty by definition. Guilt is something that is decreed by the court and is quite separate from whether or not they actually did the deed that they have been found guilty for.

Given the powers of detainment, lack of rules of evidence, lack of disclosure, presumption of guilt, etc. – anyone can be tried – and if tried indeed found guilty.

While I do believe that many, or most, have indeed done the deed – I am also sure that neither you, I , or anyone else can know that for sure – again, given the process that is used to declare guilt.

I for one – am extremely careful to never throw away a piece of paper, a soft drink can, spit out chewing gum, etc. – as you never know when and where a crime might be committed – and given that we are all fingerprinted, could easily become the suspect – and once a suspect, detained, and once detained…

Comment

But rights groups like Amnesty International have called for it to be abolished, saying the condemned have few visits, little exercise and are forced to spend almost all of their time sitting down in their cells.

good

Why?

Sometimes held for decades, they are not warned in advance of when they will be put to death, meaning they fear every day is their last,

[/I]

good.
            Not good! It's a waste of space and money keeping them around for decades. Get the trials over with, get the appeals settled in good time and then get them out of the cells and in the pine boxes or commute their sentences to life in prison. It makes no sense to keep a prisoner alive for decades and then kill him.

Comment

cases where it's obvious: the akihabara insane stabby guy

think he deserves any reprieve? let him suffer in prison til the axe drops (or the floor out from under him). there is no doubt of his guilt.

Comment

Working...
              X