Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Population of Tokyo to drop to half by 2100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Population of Tokyo to drop to half by 2100

Population of Tokyo to drop to half by 2100
    Tokyo's population will shrink to around 7.13 million by 2100 \ about half its current size \ with 46 percent of the residents aged 65 or older, a group predicts. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/

Wow! What great news! I am really looking forward to that!

You're going to be around in 2100?!

My first reaction was also "good!", although it has to be noted that the population of Japan may also drop by about half by 2100 so Tokyo is just following national trends. What I would have liked to have seen in the article is how the Tokyo population will change relative to the total population of Japan. I think that too many people are concentrated around the Kanto area (where the population is still growing), and the government should be attempting to move some of its functions out of Tokyo (the UK had this policy for a while) to help stabilise the populations of regions where the population is already falling and rapidly aging. An added bonus would be that workers moved out from Tokyo would on average have more kids according to the statistics.

Comment

I'm not so sure whether it will drop as much as projected. I think a lot of people live in Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, etc., because the rent/housing costs are so high in Tokyo. But if the population starts to drop in Tokyo, land values are likely in fall, too, thereby enabling people to buy/rent in Tokyo. The population in the surrounding prefectures could fall at a higher pace than Tokyo, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
        I think that too many people are concentrated around the Kanto area
        Agreed, but they haven't even figured out that it's not necessary for every single person in the country to have lunch from precisely noon to one o'clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
          I'm not so sure whether it will drop as much as projected. I think a lot of people live in Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, etc., because the rent/housing costs are so high in Tokyo. But if the population starts to drop in Tokyo, land values are likely in fall, too, thereby enabling people to buy/rent in Tokyo. The population in the surrounding prefectures could fall at a higher pace than Tokyo, perhaps?
          Good point, will allow me and the cucashopgirl to pick up a cheap place somewhere outside Tokyo when we retire (if I can persuade her that Tokyo has few compensations apart from work unless you are very rich, which may be difficult). I've always had a soft spot for Narita (the town not the airport).

Comment

Yeah.... great...

I can just about see all of us living happily in an empty Tokyo in 2100....

Comment

Working...
            X