Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Gaijin cards valid until 2015 — but not at the post office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaijin cards valid until 2015 — but not at the post office

I'm not double posting this to be a pest. If it's too much, I'll delete it, but this was in the Japan Times and all living here need to know this :

Gaijin cards valid until 2015 — but not at the post office

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20120925at.html

*** This refers to the original post by Speedboat *****

http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...istration-Card

Reader AM informed us that Japan Post no longer accepts alien registration cards as valid identification.

"Even though alien registration certificates are valid until 2015, Japan Post decided effective July 9, 2012, to no longer accept such cards. Please see this website," he writes.

"I found this out when needing to show identification for receiving a restricted delivery mail service document. I am a permanent resident. I find it odd, perhaps discriminatory, and certainly a bureaucratic overreach on the part of the postal service."

We confirmed this with Japan Post; it's true that they are now only accepting the new resident cards (zairyūkādo), which have replaced alien registration cards, despite the fact the latter are still valid until renewal or 2015 (whichever comes first). If you have another form of picture ID, such as a driver's license, this should work, or a passport if your address doesn't need to be confirmed.

Morons. 8910

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
      Morons. 8910
      One would think that a government issued ID, would be accepted by another government agency.
      I cannot find any other information in English about the reason for this.
      This card is supposed to make our lives easier, is it not ?
      We're all supposed to get 5 year visas, are we not ?

After 3/11, one would think that it would be a good idea to KEEP the tax paying foreigners in Japan.
      After 3/11, one would think that Japan would be trying to bring more foreigners into the country, to live, work and pay tax....

I'm sorry....I'm ranting........

Comment

seriously???

I didnt expect any less in Japan...

They. Always. Eff. Up. Something.....

sigh

Comment

In the original post by Speedboat, Since 1990 posted the Japan Post link :

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/service...n/ichiran.html

There's an English version / link, but it doesn't specifically show this information in English anywhere !

Being that this " rule " affects the foreigners here in Japan, most, not all, of them English readers at minimum.....

Are you with me here people ?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            In the original post by Speedboat, Since 1990 posted the Japan Post link :

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/service...n/ichiran.html

There's an English version / link, but it doesn't specifically show this information in English anywhere !

Being that this " rule " affects the foreigners here in Japan, most, not all, of them English readers at minimum.....

Are you with me here people ?!!
            Don't worry. Once this island turns into a wasteland after Reactor 4 busts loose and after WWIII starts with Iran and after the earth's magnetic poles shifts you won't need your mail.

Comment

I actually find this situation extremely offensive to be honest. All the talk of 'making life easier' and then a major player like Japan Post puts a policy into place without researching it properly. Talking about 'law' when it isn't really a law. I renewed my visa a couple of days before the law changed and couldn't get my card updated because a couple of days later the law changed. Now I'm in limbo. I don't have a drivers' license but even so, I don't see why I should if the government says the old ARC is OK until 2015. Today my workplace asked for a copy of my updated card. Well, said I, my card hasn't been updated because everyone is refusing to do so since the laws changed. So according to my ARC I'm an illegal immigrant. Luckily after much staring down and protestations they accepted the photocopy of the new visa that's in my passport. But I don't have a 'zairyu card' and won't until 2015 most likely...

Comment

Just to add a wrinkle… Now over a month since requesting it, I am still waiting for a copy of my foreigner registration documents to be issued from the Homukyoku. This document was previously issued by the ward office in a few minutes while one waited. 

I certainly can understand teething problems with the introduction of change, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if there isn’t a deeper issue behind these screw-up’s.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                  Just to add a wrinkle… Now over a month since requesting it, I am still waiting for a copy of my foreigner registration documents to be issued from the Homukyoku. This document was previously issued by the ward office in a few minutes while one waited. 

I certainly can understand teething problems with the introduction of change, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if there isn’t a deeper issue behind these screw-up’s.
                  Just show a drivers license or passport. No big deal...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                    One would think that a government issued ID, would be accepted by another government agency.
                    Japan Post is not a government agency. It became regular ol' company a few years ago.

But yeah, you would think that something that the police accept would be acceptable anywhere.

Once I had a similar problem when I went to a hotel in Hamamatsu. It was for a 4 day event conference.
                    They asked for my Passport. I didn't have it so I showed them my ARC. They gave me a hassle about it and I had to essentially tell them that they know not the first thing about what they are talking about. Call over the manager and tell him that I would tell the event planners about the situation so that the hotel never shows up on the "Nearby Hotels" list in future brochures. I also suggested that they call over the police and ask them if an ARC is legal ID in Japan.

Dip-wads!
                    Last edited by nynapaj; 2012-09-29, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nynapaj View Post
                      Japan Post is not a government agency. It became regular ol' company a few years ago.

But yeah, you would think that something that the police accept would be acceptable anywhere.

Once I had a similar problem when I went to a hotel in Hamamatsu. It was for a 4 day event conference.
                      They asked for my Passport. I didn't have it so I showed them my ARC. They gave me a hassle about it and I had to essentially tell them that they know not the first thing about what they are talking about. Call over the manager and tell him that I would tell the event planners about the situation so that the hotel never shows up on the "Nearby Hotels" list in future brochures. I also suggested that they call over the police and ask them if an ARC is legal ID in Japan.

Dip-wads!
                      Had a similar problem at a capsule hotel. Except that they demanded to see my ARC while allowing my Japanese friend to show his drivers license. My Japanese drivers license was not acceptable. I told them to ____ themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Bowtruckle View Post
                        I actually find this situation extremely offensive to be honest. All the talk of 'making life easier' and then a major player like Japan Post puts a policy into place without researching it properly. Talking about 'law' when it isn't really a law. I renewed my visa a couple of days before the law changed and couldn't get my card updated because a couple of days later the law changed. Now I'm in limbo. I don't have a drivers' license but even so, I don't see why I should if the government says the old ARC is OK until 2015. Today my workplace asked for a copy of my updated card. Well, said I, my card hasn't been updated because everyone is refusing to do so since the laws changed. So according to my ARC I'm an illegal immigrant. Luckily after much staring down and protestations they accepted the photocopy of the new visa that's in my passport. But I don't have a 'zairyu card' and won't until 2015 most likely...
                        I'm offended too. Because we're NOT Japanese, it's very important for us to verify our " existence " here. We say, ok, get the stupid cards and then they say the cards are no good.....???

Sounds like a dark conspiracy ?! Or just stupidity !!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                          ...Sounds like a dark conspiracy ?! Or just stupidity !!
                          I guess I was thinking more along the lines of it not mattering if foreigners are inconvenienced. Sort of like the reason why resort area food is so poor – since tourists are not going to become repeat customers anyway. No matter how poor is the service, since there is no choice in the matter - the customer will just have to live with it.

Comment

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of it not mattering if foreigners are inconvenienced. Sort of like the reason why resort area food is so poor – since tourists are not going to become repeat customers anyway. No matter how poor is the service, since there is no choice in the matter - the customer will just have to live with it.
                            It baffles me though. Government service in America is the worst in the world, but here in Japan, they're faced with a declining birthrate and the mess of 3/11. As a country, I would try and recruit foreigners to come here to live and work ( PAY TAXES and SPEND MONEY ) to help my economy.....

Comment

Post Office- no problem

I just made a transfer via the post office. Used the same form as always and used my Gaijin Card with no problem. I brought my passport (because of this thread), just in case, but they didn't ask.

Gaijinpot it wrong on this one

Comment

Working...
                              X