Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Gaijin cards valid until 2015 — but not at the post office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nynapaj View Post
    I just made a transfer via the post office. Used the same form as always and used my Gaijin Card with no problem. I brought my passport (because of this thread), just in case, but they didn't ask.

Gaijinpot it wrong on this one
    I don't think GaijinPot is wrong, I just think it's another example of random madness in Japan. Maybe you can advise people where to go for an easy time, rather than fighting through the red tape....

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
      I don't think GaijinPot is wrong, I just think it's another example of random madness in Japan. Maybe you can advise people where to go for an easy time, rather than fighting through the red tape....
      Well... on the form itself there is a space to check for the type of ID used and "外国人登録証明書" was right there among the other useable IDs.
      If they didn't accept it, why would it be on the form??

Comment

Well... on the form itself there is a space to check for the type of ID used and "外国人登録証明書" was right there among the other useable IDs.
        If they didn't accept it, why would it be on the form??
        You live here in Japan and you want to know " why " ?

My goodness, you ARE a challenger !!!

Japan Post themselves cofirmed for the Japan Times that they are now only accepting the new resident cards (zairyūkādo)

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          You live here in Japan and you want to know " why " ?

My goodness, you ARE a challenger !!!

Japan Post themselves cofirmed for the Japan Times that they are now only accepting the new resident cards (zairyūkādo)
          You know, there is a lot of cr-ap on this website about how Japan in this or that and I rarely experience these things.

I went to the PO, sent some money, used the ARC. No big deal.

You guys are throwing a hissey fit over something and it's clearly inaccurate.

Comment

You know, there is a lot of cr-ap on this website about how Japan in this or that and I rarely experience these things.

I went to the PO, sent some money, used the ARC. No big deal.

You guys are throwing a hissey fit over something and it's clearly inaccurate.
            You're being quite ridiculous by saying that all post offices are same the same and Gaijin pot is just wrong -- I even posted a photo of the sign at the post office I went to in this thread:
            http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...istration-Card

But of course -- I probably typed up that sign way ahead of time and took a photo of it just to prove you wrong before you even posted this.

The JP post, like any large business will have people at branches who don't follow policy even if it is the store wide standard...

Comment

Gaijinpot it wrong on this one
              As others have mentioned, they have been denied while trying to use their ARC. And the post office has an announcement right on their site that they will not accept the ARC. It sounds like you were lucky enough to slip through the cracks, but that doesn't equate to the information being wrong, it just means you were lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                As others have mentioned, they have been denied while trying to use their ARC. And the post office has an announcement right on their site that they will not accept the ARC. It sounds like you were lucky enough to slip through the cracks, but that doesn't equate to the information being wrong, it just means you were lucky.
                This guy's never been lucky a day in his life. Ask him if you don't believe me.

Nynapag's understanding of the world is dictated solely by his own empirical experience and adjustments in medication. Let him defend Japan Post for the next six months if he wishes - I doubt you'll convince him he's wrong but you'll have a jolly time trying - just don't let this kook into the 'Relationships' section.

May I count on you to keep him occupied here? There's a good chap.

Comment

More attempts at bul.... oh wait.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Piethrower View Post
                    This guy's never been lucky a day in his life. Ask him if you don't believe me.

Nynapag's understanding of the world is dictated solely by his own empirical experience and adjustments in medication. Let him defend Japan Post for the next six months if he wishes - I doubt you'll convince him he's wrong but you'll have a jolly time trying - just don't let this kook into the 'Relationships' section.

May I count on you to keep him occupied here? There's a good chap.
                    You do have a point.
                    But you know- sometimes I wonder if I am actually a "gaijin". All of the things that typically happen to Gaijin don't happen to me.
                    Trouble finding a place to live? No.
                    Ease of getting lots of women in bed at will? No.
                    Japanese go great lengths to NOT sit next to me on even the most crowded of trains? No.
                    Feel constantly discriminated against because the Japanese government sends me a letter about something written in ... Japanese? No.
                    Have to repeat myself several times to get my order correct? No.

Maybe I am just not a gaijin...

(Okay, there was that one in the post above about the hotel, but that has been just about it.)

Comment

You do have a point.
                      But you know- sometimes I wonder if I am actually a "gaijin". All of the things that typically happen to Gaijin don't happen to me.
                      Trouble finding a place to live? No.
                      Ease of getting lots of women in bed at will? No.
                      Japanese go great lengths to NOT sit next to me on even the most crowded of trains? No.
                      Feel constantly discriminated against because the Japanese government sends me a letter about something written in ... Japanese? No.
                      Have to repeat myself several times to get my order correct? No.

(Okay, there was that one in the post above about the hotel, but that has been just about it.)
                      Yeah the same for me. People always sit next to me on the train. I really wish they wouldn't sometimes. My progress through life in Japan is ridiculously smooth for the most part. I've never had a problem with immigration and always get the maximum visa length, never had a problem finding somewhere to live, never been asked to show my gaijin card, etc, etc, etc ....

But ffs this is NOT the same as whether someone will sit next to you on the train!!

The Japanese government has laid down guidelines that the ARC is still valid and will be until 2015.

Then Japan Post announces that it will no longer accept the ARC, puts up notices at some branches and on it's website. A number of ARC holders come here to report that Japan Post will not accept their ARC as acceptable ID.

This should not be a "case by case" situation. This is about an official document that we "gaijin" are all legally obliged to carry at all times. The validity of this document not up to us or Japan Post, but is set by the Japanese government.

It is very interesting that you had no problems using your ARC at Japan Post but not because it proves that you are somehow superior to all those other "gaijin" or that everyone else was lying or mistaken.

Maybe your local branch manager actually has a brain and is quietly ignoring the directive.

Maybe the bureaucrats at Japan Post have realised they fvvcked up and have done an about face.

This is

Comment

sometimes I wonder if I am actually a "gaijin".

Are you legally obliged to carry a 外国人登録証明書 or a 在留カード at all times?
                        Then yeah mate - you're a gaijin.

Comment

When I lived in the countryside, train-seats next to me were always left empty. But when I moved to Kanto, people always sit beside me. I think the train thing is a city/countryside thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleDaisies View Post
                            Yeah the same for me. People always sit next to me on the train. I really wish they wouldn't sometimes. My progress through life in Japan is ridiculously smooth for the most part. I've never had a problem with immigration and always get the maximum visa length, never had a problem finding somewhere to live, never been asked to show my gaijin card, etc, etc, etc ....

But ffs this is NOT the same as whether someone will sit next to you on the train!!

The Japanese government has laid down guidelines that the ARC is still valid and will be until 2015.

Then Japan Post announces that it will no longer accept the ARC, puts up notices at some branches and on it's website. A number of ARC holders come here to report that Japan Post will not accept their ARC as acceptable ID.

This should not be a "case by case" situation. This is about an official document that we "gaijin" are all legally obliged to carry at all times. The validity of this document not up to us or Japan Post, but is set by the Japanese government.

It is very interesting that you had no problems using your ARC at Japan Post but not because it proves that you are somehow superior to all those other "gaijin" or that everyone else was lying or mistaken.

Maybe your local branch manager actually has a brain and is quietly ignoring the directive.

Maybe the bureaucrats at Japan Post have realised they fvvcked up and have done an about face.

This is
                            WOW ! Well said, Purple Daisies, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                              When I lived in the countryside, train-seats next to me were always left empty. But when I moved to Kanto, people always sit beside me. I think the train thing is a city/countryside thing.
                              Or just a space thing....

Comment

Working...
                              X