Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Booing Boeing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting stuff
    Crash survivability
    http://www.popsci.com/node/75594/?cm...MzI1MTM1NjM5S0

    San Francisco ATC, Flight 214 Heavy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSSJqLi-kE

    Comment


    • Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
      Interesting stuff
      Crash survivability
      http://www.popsci.com/node/75594/?cm...MzI1MTM1NjM5S0

      San Francisco ATC, Flight 214 Heavy
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSSJqLi-kE
      Good god, the man was a living crash test dummy! And that's no insult to his intelligence.
      We can say great things about this plane's design, but it came down to the pilot(s) this time. Maybe?

      Comment


      • Oh dear. Another 787 fire in the same area in spite of modifications.

        Flights have resumed at London's Heathrow Airport after a fire on a parked Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner jet.

        All runways were closed for nearly 90 minutes after the fire at 16:30 BST. No passengers were aboard the plane at the time, a Heathrow spokesman said.

        Fifty Dreamliners worldwide were grounded in January after malfunctions with the plane's lithium-ion batteries.

        Boeing modified the jets with new batteries and flights resumed in April.
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23294760

        Comment


        • Originally posted by thefg
          be carefull what you believe.


          "As Col. Stapp proved, the human body can withstand about 40Gs when restrained properly"


          'restrained properly' for 40G means head and kneck restraints - which nobody wears on a plane.

          Google - basilar skull fracture

          although to be fair this is more applicable to those wearing full harnesses rather than lap restraints. also important to note that survivability depends on direction and duration of force
          And 90% of the human race pass out at 8G's.

          And yes, I know there are a lot of factors and variables that affect whether or not you will walk away from a crash. One of the most important factors is just the fact that you are strapped into an appropriately padded protective seat.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
            Oh dear. Another 787 fire in the same area in spite of modifications.



            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23294760
            I guess they should have taken Elon Musk's to supply them with batteries similar to those used by Space X's Dragon module.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
              Another thing about both videos of the crash. Is the plane on anything like the correct descent path at all or is it just kind of creeping along in level flight, very close to the sea?
              It was not on the correct descent path. The descent was too steep, and the air speed was too low.

              Just before the crash, they realized they were too low and tried to go around. They added throttle (presumably full-throttle) just seconds before the crash. Too little, too late.

              The passengers said they thought the pilot was trying to take off again, and you can hear someone on tape say "go around" just before impact.

              Last little tidbit I learned recently. The tail was not the first thing to hit the ground. The main landing gear hit the rocks first, followed by the tail.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ruserious View Post
                It was not on the correct descent path. The descent was too steep, and the air speed was too low.

                Just before the crash, they realized they were too low and tried to go around. They added throttle (presumably full-throttle) just seconds before the crash. Too little, too late.

                The passengers said they thought the pilot was trying to take off again, and you can hear someone on tape say "go around" just before impact.

                Last little tidbit I learned recently. The tail was not the first thing to hit the ground. The main landing gear hit the rocks first, followed by the tail.
                Looks like the official verdict will be pilot error then. That's going to hurt Asiana badly then.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by thefg
                  ...Media love to use phrases like 'sucked out' or 'ejected' - no meaning.
                  I have been sucked out and ejected too... oh, wait - you mean in the context of a plane crash? Naw - that would be truly embarrassing.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                    Looks like the official verdict will be pilot error then. That's going to hurt Asiana badly then.

                    On the Vancouver Japanese site a thread title claimed it was America's Fault. Unfortunately, the post was such gibberish it was hard to understand why or how.

                    Kind of funny to see a poster on a Japanese BBS renowned for its anti-Korean bigotry siding with their old enemy over a somewhat less old enemy.

                    I'll take another look and report back.


                    REPORT: nah, it was just a ruse for another Korean Bashing Bash.

                    Apparently the Koreans are blaming the airport and tower, though.

                    Even though the pilot apparently needed an interpreter for the investigation interview.
                    Last edited by kurogane; 2013-07-13, 11:39 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      On the Vancouver Japanese site a thread title claimed it was America's Fault.

                      It certainly is America's fault. If the Wright brothers hadn't invented the airplane, none of this would have happened.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                        Looks like the official verdict will be pilot error then. That's going to hurt Asiana badly then.
                        I don't think so.
                        A large majority of people are stupid and never learn.
                        We'll see though, the summer peak season is upon us, is it not?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ruserious View Post
                          It certainly is America's fault. If the Wright brothers hadn't invented the airplane, none of this would have happened.

                          LOL. Good one, RU.

                          The commentary on the Japanese site I mentioned was mostly crap, but it did raise one valid point: Koreans are finger pointing turds when the Shiite hits it.

                          I won't watch the video, but it seems to me that unless they suddenly elevated the runway in some sort of real life Jackassss routine, it's the pilot Wi Too Lo's fault.


                          So anyways, any bets on how long it takes for the pilot to be rehabilitated and back in the air???

                          I'll go with 2 years.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                            Looks like the official verdict will be pilot error then. That's going to hurt Asiana badly then.
                            Pilot error, helped along by firetruck-driver error. I can't believe that could happen.
                            It won't hurt Asiana for long. Most people, myself included, search kayak etc for the cheapest, most convenient flight.
                            Everyone knows that flying is the safest form of transport around mile for mile. I'd get on an Asiana flight tomorrow. Especially because, hey, what's the chances of 2 crashes in a week? (and I bet they have some great deals at the moment)

                            Comment


                            • Would you actually fly on an airline run by Koreans????



                              Bikkuri Donki-hote!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              If it hadn't been so lethal, I would be revelling in the confirmation of what I used to think was merely my own bigotry.

                              Agreed on the safety of air travel, though.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                                Would you actually fly on an airline run by Koreans????



                                Bikkuri Donki-hote!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                If it hadn't been so lethal, I would be revelling in the confirmation of what I used to think was merely my own bigotry.

                                Agreed on the safety of air travel, though.
                                I'd prefer not to as I know that many of their pilots are bad and ____y, not willing to give or receive advice. Also their flight attendants are a right bunch of ...... (although they certainly seem to know their beans when it comes to an emergency)
                                The flight into S.F could have been saved, even after they knew there was a problem. They knew there was a major problem and they couldn't manage it. If it had been say, a British Airways or Singapore Airlines Captain at the controls that almost certainly wouldn't have happened.
                                That said I am a frugal man and would just go with the cheapest flight.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X