Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Booing Boeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
    thefg is partially right, at altitude the cabin pressure is greater than the outside air pressure but, once landed and up until the doors are actually opened there is a slight negative pressure in effect inside the cabin.
    Understood. But that pressure difference is slight and is actually negative so can't possibly explain why the two girls were ejected from the cabin.

Comment

Too low, tried to put power to the engines and bring the nose up. As a result he stalled and made a bad situation worse.
      Yep,as I understand it, RU said that prior to that he was way too high. To lose height quickly he cut the engines to idle. However, he overcompensated and then found himself, in the final seconds, too low, too slow with the engines at idle.

Comment

Silly question, is pilot training standardized?

Reason I asked, I was talking to a Japanese friend and he said he wont fly either Korean airlines.
        (There are only two right?)
        He said he can't trust a Korean airlines.
        I've heard this from other Japanese too, but I don't feel their argument holds water.
        The planes are all made by Boeing(made in the US) and as far as I guess, pilot training is standard around the world, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
          Silly question, is pilot training standardized?

Reason I asked, I was talking to a Japanese friend and he said he wont fly either Korean airlines.
          (There are only two right?)
          I've heard this from other Japanese too, but I don't feel their argument holds water.
          The planes are all made by Boeing(made in the US) and as far as I guess, pilot training is standard around the world, right?
          Funny your friend would say that, personally, I know a lot of people who won't willingly fly JAL and some of those are JASDF pilots.

Training for Boeing and Airbus products is fairly standardized this is due to the fact their ____pits have a standardized layout that is the same for all classes of aircraft they make–a 727's ____pit is almost exactly the same as a 777's. Training has also been standardized with a certain number of hours being required in simulators and in the actual aircraft and there are required milestones that must meet FAA standards before a pilot can actually fly one of these aircraft.

Additionally Boeing posts recommendations on their website for this http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...s/qtr_02_10/5/

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
            Yep,as I understand it, RU said that prior to that he was way too high. To lose height quickly he cut the engines to idle. However, he overcompensated and then found himself, in the final seconds, too low, too slow with the engines at idle.
            Would have made better sense to reduce flight speed by 10-15% and extend the airbrakes to further cut speed. There is a fudge factor built into the glide path of 10-20 meters either way. Obviously if you are slightly below the glide path you will have more runway with which to reduce speed and brake on and that means a reduced need for reverse thrust on landing.

Comment

Funny your friend would say that, personally, I know a lot of people who won't willingly fly JAL and some of those are JASDF pilots.

Training for Boeing and Airbus products is fairly standardized this is due to the fact their ____pits have a standardized layout that is the same for all classes of aircraft they make–a 727's ____pit is almost exactly the same as a 777's. Training has also been standardized with a certain number of hours being required in simulators and in the actual aircraft and there are required milestones that must meet FAA standards before a pilot can actually fly one of these aircraft.

Additionally Boeing posts recommendations on their website for this http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...s/qtr_02_10/5/
              Thanks for the info Edin日本 .
              There are still many people here that will only fly JAL, because it's the 'safest' in their minds. Forget about China Airlines.

I've heard some other pretty funny 'safety theories' such as:

"If you're flying on an American airlines, you should ride up front, closer to the pilot. American pilots are more concerned about living and their own lives, so chances are, they will not run the plane nose first into the ground."

However

"If you are flying on a Japanese airlines, you should ride in the back, away from the pilot. Japanese pilots would rather die, before the shame of killing their customers, so chances are, they will run the plane nose first into the ground."

I'm guessing these are the same people that buy into the intestine theory too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                Understood. But that pressure difference is slight and is actually negative so can't possibly explain why the two girls were ejected from the cabin.
                And that pressure would have been coming into the cabin at the time and not blowing things out. Only thing I can assume is that they were not in their seats or not buckled in. If, as I assume, the pilot redlined the engines and raised the nose to 30º there would have been 2 G's of acceleration and anyone not buckled in or sitting down would have been flung to the rear of the aircraft. As soon as the tail section hit the seawall the aircraft was in essence a giant trebuchet and they were flung out and forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                  I was talking to a Japanese friend and he said he wont fly either Korean airlines.

Yeah, I hear that sort of BS all the time. I would respect the argument more if they would just admit their bigotry, which is a big part of the reason Samsung does relatively badly in Japan.

I refuse to fly or buy anything Korean because I am boycotting them, and I don't like or admire anything they do, except their remarkable talent for prodigious whining.

I once got ripped off by a Korean corner store on Kingsway that sold me a jar of Kimchi past its sell by date and refused to exchange it when I asked 30 minutes later.

At least I have logic on my side.

Comment

I want the delete function back.

Comment

• Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      I once got ripped off by a Korean corner store on Kingsway that sold me a jar of Kimchi past its sell by date and refused to exchange it when I asked 30 minutes later.
                      Isn't kimchi spoiled to begin with?
                      And how would they have known it was YOU that had actually bought the kimchi?
                      You do know, we all look alike.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                        Isn't kimchi spoiled to begin with?
                        And how would they have known it was YOU that had actually bought the kimchi?
                        You do know, we all look alike.

Yes to all of that, and hence my wholly justified bigotry towards everything Korean that hasn't been Japanified (like Yakiniku), and that extends to those vapid ____ Korean chicks in the shorty short miniskirts in downtown Vancouver.

Comment

Yes to all of that, and hence my wholly justified bigotry towards everything Korean that hasn't been Japanified (like Yakiniku), and that extends to those vapid ____ Korean chicks in the shorty short miniskirts in downtown Vancouver.

One night with Kara would rock your world and change your feelings.....maybe?

Comment

That sounds very like the Chinese shopkeepers in Thailand and Singapore. They would actually sneer at you for being so stupid as to even broach the subject with them. Caveat emptor all the way and all sales are final.

Comment

• I just googled. Is their music as vapid as their faces?

They make AKB666 look almost attractive and almost womanly, and we both know AKB is neither.

UR a Legal Paedo.

Besides, they're just Koreans masquerading as Japanese, which could potentially qualify as sufficiently Japanified, in about 12 years.

After they finish high school.

Brown Cow,

Sounds like the same sort of scam. Funny thing is, Chinese shopkeepers in Vancouver are usually rather nice, and not nearly as scammy as any of the Korean shops I know.

But only the latter sell White People Kimchi. It's like the Japanese stuff.
                              Last edited by kurogane; 2013-07-09, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                                That sounds very like the Chinese shopkeepers in Thailand and Singapore. They would actually sneer at you for being so stupid as to even broach the subject with them. Caveat emptor all the way and all sales are final.
                                When I was a kid, there was a joke(?) about the Chinese attitude:

"No Tickee No Shirtee"

Comment

Working...
                                X