Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Summer Olympics Tokyo 2020?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Olympics Tokyo 2020?

The IOC has dropped wrestling (one of the oldest Olympic sports) as one of the 25 core sports for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.

http://news.yahoo.com/ioc-drops-wres...6483--oly.html
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000076-mai-spo

Could this move be viewed as a precursor to Tokyo not getting the 2020 games?
    Last edited by Shimi; 2013-02-12, 10:37 PM.

Probably not, although Japan will no doubt see it as yet another personal slap in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
      The IOC has dropped wrestling (one of the oldest Olympic sports) as one of the 25 core sports for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.

http://news.yahoo.com/ioc-drops-wres...6483--oly.html
      http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000076-mai-spo

Could this move be viewed as a precursor to Tokyo not getting the 2020 games?
      No,no,it's all part of the plan!!
      There will be Olympic Sumo in 2020!!!
      That's why they dropped wrestling......

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
        No,no,it's all part of the plan!!
        There will be Olympic Sumo in 2020!!!
        That's why they dropped wrestling......
        Sumo is not even one of the candidate sports for 2020 silly.

I think the JOC was really hoping to garner enough support for a baseball/softball comeback. However, now with wresting also apparently on the outside looking in, it is going to be interesting to see which one of the two the JOC decides to focus on getting reinstated.

There were already 7 sports trying to get into (or back into) the 2020 Games: baseball/softball (two sports, but they've combined their respective bids), karate, squash, wushu, wakeboarding, sport climbing, roller sports (sort of like figure skating on roller skates, etc.). Wrestling has just been added to that list.

There's an IOC meeting in May to propose which sport or sports to add for 2020. The final IOC vote then will be held in September.

Tokyo, Madrid, and Istanbul are still in contention to host the 2020 Games. Wrestling, at least women's wrestling, is pretty popular over here and the Japanese women's team has pretty much dominated all weight classes at all previous Olympics. It's hard to imagine a Tokyo 2020 Games without two potentially big revenue sources (at least here in Japan) such as wrestling and baseball/softball. To me it does seem that this recommendation to drop wrestling has weakened the Tokyo 2020 bid.

This is not necessarily a bad thing because the money spent on such an event could probably be spent on so many more deserving things. On the other hand, if Tokyo did host the games, it would probably the closest I would ever get to actually seeing the games in person.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
          Probably not, although Japan will no doubt see it as yet another personal slap in the face.
          That they did!

It was very heavily covered on NHK news this morning. A 'representative sample' of passers by expressed their disappointment and anger at the possibility, and one woman even went as far as saying "Yoshida Saori ni ____surei desu", i.e., it is disrespectful to the gold medal wrestler Saori Yoshida - as if the IOC members had her in the forefront of their minds as they debated the inclusion of wrestling!

Comment

I want to mock 'wushu', but I'm afraid some wushu master will do harm to me...

OK...2020 Tokyo Olympics????
            I've got it!!

Olympic Janken!!!!

Rock-Paper-Scissors, 1-2-3!!!

Comment

I hope this will never ever happen again as long as I am living near Tokyo. I just hate traffic congestion clogged by J-drivers (especially with Oba-chan drivers) with slow reflex (due to old age or lack of real life experiences, which is typical of Japan).
              I would be very pleased if my tax money to the Tokyo muni mafia will be spent wisely (which, I guarantee, will never ever ever happen over the course of human history, as that is the core human nature to enrich themselves at the expense of others), as I bet some portion of the tax money will be sucked toward that program.
              Last edited by Guru; 2013-02-16, 03:44 PM.

Comment

In a very, very small corner of my heart, I hope they get it.

Not because it's a good idea (it never is), but because it is the finest low-cost solution to Ojiin-suteyama we have come across.

Commonwealthers will recognise this as the "See the Queen and die" phenomenon that has such a lovely effect on our national pension balance of payments.

They deserved it once, but had to pay for it, and now that they can't pay for it, and don't need it, they want it.

There are only 2 things more pathetic than an old and grasping Japanese male.

And both of them are also Japanese males.

Comment

I thought it was a bad omen for the Tokyo Organizing Committee when the IOC dropped wrestling as one of the core sports for the 2020 Games. Baseball, softball, and especially women's wrestling are quite popular here and Japanese athletes/teams have done fairly well in recent olympics/international competitions that an olympics without any of those three would probably mean less money spent on advertising, lower attendance, and lower TV ratings at least here in Japan.

Some IOC delegates had also probably already made up their minds to not vote for Tokyo because of the lingering effects of 3/11 (those reactors are still an uncertainty, aren't they?), and then there was Gov. Inose's faux pas about Turkey. You could also throw in the musings of Mayor Hashimoto and Mr. Ishihara that were further exacerbating relations with China, the Koreas and a few other countries around the world. Plus, Tokyo had already hosted the games once before in 1964 whereas Madrid and Istanbul had yet to do so. In fact, Japan has hosted the olympics (winter included) three times (Tokyo, Sapporo, and Nagano), Spain only once (Barcelona 1994), and Turkey not even a single time. So, for all of those reasons, etc. it seemed to me that the 2020 Games was not going to be given to Tokyo.

However, some recent events have led me to change my mind. I think Tokyo's chance are much brighter than they were a few months ago. The IOC has granted both wrestling and baseball/softball a stay of execution. Both are among the 3 sports (squash is the 3rd one) that have made the IOC Executive Committee's final list of for the last spot for 2020 Games. Although it's not guaranteed, squash is not going to be selected in my opinion which means that either baseball/softball or wrestling get back in. Both would be a win for the JOC, wouldn't they?

Then we have PM Abe and his Abenomics. The economy, at least on the surface, appears to be getting stronger. Yen is weaker than it was this time last year which has lead to an increase in tourism (sort of I guess). In addition, Abe and the LDP have made it clear that they are going to encourage an even further weakening of the yen as well as be much more liberal in spending money on public works projects, etc. than previous administrations were. Of course, this could all just be smoke and mirrors; no one really knows for sure how things will be in 2020. But, Abe does appear to be willing to spend money (and lots of it) to led Japan into a new age of economic prosperity.

Despite all of the above, the one thing that has really has helped Tokyo's bid the most has been the recent unrest in Turkey. Istanbul may have been the favorite at one time, but the recent battles between government security forces and student protest groups have tarnished its image. I don't see these protests ending any time soon and the more violently the Turkish Government responds, the more negative press it is going to get. Unless a miracle happens, I don't think the Turkish bid has any chance of success now.

So that means Tokyo vs. Madrid. Still not a given, but much better odds for Tokyo.
                  Last edited by Shimi; 2013-06-13, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Surely, Madrid's not the best idea, Spain's even more broke than most other "developed" nations at the moment, it'll be an austere olympics if Madrid does get it. Istanbul is up and coming, probably not helped by recent unrest, but then london was rioting one year before the games.... to no ill effect, although obviously the bid decision had been made in 2005.

Can't see Tokyo getting it, done it before, and the inflammatory politicians/dodgy nuclear situation will put enough voters off.

I think Istanbul will still get it, can't wait for the news to be full of whingers when the Tokyo bid fails though.

Comment

Originally posted by cakeman View Post
                      Surely, Madrid's not the best idea, Spain's even more broke than most other "developed" nations at the moment, it'll be an austere olympics if Madrid does get it. Istanbul is up and coming, probably not helped by recent unrest, but then london was rioting one year before the games.... to no ill effect, although obviously the bid decision had been made in 2005.

Can't see Tokyo getting it, done it before, and the inflammatory politicians/dodgy nuclear situation will put enough voters off.

I think Istanbul will still get it, can't wait for the news to be full of whingers when the Tokyo bid fails though.
                      Japan's debt is higher than Spain's.
                      Spain needs an economic + employment boost so getting the games would be good for the country and will help it.
                      Spain has most of the sporting infrastructures developed, has more and better hotels than Tokyo and better transport (more airports, more bullet train km than Japan)...

Since I love both Spain and Japan, I really wish this goes to Turkey because Olympic games are a ruin for the host country and a pain in the ass for the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by adrimaster View Post
                        Japan's debt is higher than Spain's.
                        But don't forget the Spanish situation is hugely different from Japan, in that Spain does'nt have a currency that is controlled by it's national bank, therefore it can't print it's own money, and it does'nt necessarily have compensatory changes in currency strength like the yen does. Also, much of Japan's debt is internal, not externally owed, so although on paper Japan's debt is worse, i'd much rather be in Japan's position economically than Spain's, and I think this is reflected in the markets - Spain has a much higher interest rate on borrowing than Japan.

Totally agree that hosting the Olympics is a complete waste of money though.

Comment

Originally posted by cakeman View Post

Certainly hope that's true and Tokyo doesn't get it. Huge waste of money and the only (non politician) people that really seems to be for it are the Olympic athletes that are trotted out for PR moments. Instead of spending untold amounts of money to build yet another stadium and housing for people who will come here to play games, how about building permanent housing for the people who lost everything in the earthquake/tsunami?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                            Certainly hope that's true and Tokyo doesn't get it. Huge waste of money and the only (non politician) people that really seems to be for it are the Olympic athletes that are trotted out for PR moments. Instead of spending untold amounts of money to build yet another stadium and housing for people who will come here to play games, how about building permanent housing for the people who lost everything in the earthquake/tsunami?
                            I don't even understand why Tokyo wants the Olympics. The vast majority of Japanese people have no interest or knowledge whatsoever when it comes to foreign athletes (only Usain Bolt got a significant amount of coverage during the 2012 Olympics). Why do they want to invite thousands of them to Japan? The atmosphere is going to be really flat in any competition that doesn't involve Japanese athletes.
                            I have a nasty feeling Tokyo are going to get the Olympics though.

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
                              I don't even understand why Tokyo wants the Olympics. The vast majority of Japanese people have no interest or knowledge whatsoever when it comes to foreign athletes (only Usain Bolt got a significant amount of coverage during the 2012 Olympics). Why do they want to invite thousands of them to Japan? The atmosphere is going to be really flat in any competition that doesn't involve Japanese athletes.
                              I have a nasty feeling Tokyo are going to get the Olympics though.
                              Seems to me that all this was Blinkyhara's ego boosting shot of hosting the Olympics while he was still in charge. When Japan co-hosted the World Cup years ago, security was ramped up for the onrush of hooligans that were expected to swamp and bring ruin to the country. Didn't happen as Japan too far and expensive, but security will still be high.
                              Agree that unless it's a popular Japanese athlete no one really cares. Nothing but endless tape of the same few popular people over and over again. Let Istanbul have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X