Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Ad for new New Panasonic TV won't be aired in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad for new New Panasonic TV won't be aired in Japan

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
    How about somewhere in between said legs. If NHK wants money from people who watch their network, then they should scramble the signal so all us evil freeloaders can't watch. "You have a TV. We don't care if you watch what we beam (unasked) into your home. Pay us." Mafia tactics.
    Do you want to know how bass ackwards the thinking here is about tv?

Read this:
    http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...-tv-commercial

Originally posted by Old Style View Post

Read this:
    They're probably afraid you won't pay attention to the little tarento face box (or that it will become too small when the screen is shared with other open windows) that keeps reminding you that these people are important and you should buy the products that they hawk.

Comment

Or from the public service ad reminding people to pay their NHK fee???

Classic stuff, though.

A TV too advanced for the TV companies.........................maybe they should have included a fax machine function. That would have had the Buchos lining up at Midori Denki.

That article did note how backward Japan can be at adopting technology, though, which was a nice touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
        They're probably afraid you won't pay attention to the little tarento face box (or that it will become too small when the screen is shared with other open windows) that keeps reminding you that these people are important and you should buy the products that they hawk.
        That's exactly the issue. When ads come on, you surf. The tv image is made smaller and put in the corner. Commercials end and you go back to the tv. This will be very damaging to broadcasters. I'm curious how this will change the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
          That's exactly the issue. When ads come on, you surf. The tv image is made smaller and put in the corner. Commercials end and you go back to the tv. This will be very damaging to broadcasters. I'm curious how this will change the industry.

For not airing their commercials, Panasonic should add a function where the TV window minimizes when a commercial comes on, then pops back up once the program starts again. That would totally infuriate the broadcasters, and Dentsu.

Comment

For not airing their commercials, Panasonic should add a function where the TV window minimizes when a commercial comes on, then pops back up once the program starts again. That would totally infuriate the broadcasters, and Dentsu.
            I feel the whole thing is wrong on so many levels.
            It's supply and demand, isn't it?
            As a customer, I want this in my home.
            How many inventions have been withheld from us because 'they' decide?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post

Read this:
              Originally posted by hml View Post
              Question
              My TV has a built in recorder(DVR?)/memory(hard drive?) and I assume that this is standard now for recording tv programs.
              This is great because most of the CMs are deleted automatically.
              However, some of them are still recorded.
              After you all stop laughing hysterically, can you explain to this knucklehead why this is?

Is this part of the digital signal?

I'm sure many of the businesses are against progress. But let's face it, connecting tvs and the internet is here to stay.
              The record industry was against tapes, because who'd buy an album if we could all record it right?
              The movie industry wasn't thrilled with VCRs and so on....

Comment

Panasonic is threatening to change the paradigm of TV: from a device that delivers advertisement/propaganda to a passive audience to one that gives an active audience more control over the volume of advertisement and the types of propaganda viewed. What scares the establishment advertising industry is change: they will be forced to become more innovative in their delivery, and, most likely, profits will be reduced, threatening a whole lot of folks whose livelihood is based on public deception or based on abetting the deceivers.

Comment

Panasonic is threatening to change the paradigm of TV: from a device that delivers advertisement/propaganda to a passive audience to one that gives an active audience more control over the volume of advertisement and the types of propaganda viewed. What scares the establishment advertising industry is change: they will be forced to become more innovative in their delivery, and, most likely, profits will be reduced, threatening a whole lot of folks whose livelihood is based on public deception or based on abetting the deceivers.
                  Thanks Hijinx.
                  Even for a non-techoid like me, that's what I'm seeing.
                  Screw them, I'm siding with Panasonic on this one.
                  **Someone should start a thread because this is a great story that wont go away/Sorry for asking about this on the NHK thread**

Comment

Hasn't the establishment already begun to adapt and conquer? It seems to me that compared to 10-20 years ago the massive in-your-face product placement occuring in movies and in TV programs these days is more annoying than some 30 second commercial.

Personally, I kind of long for the days when somebody drinking a can of cola during a TV show was holding nothing more than some generic can labled "COLA".

Isn't there more money to be made in product placement than in simple commercials these days?

Comment

Hate the stupid little talent box (PIP: Picture In Picture). When that thing appears I change the channel or turn of the TV. It's a signal that the program isn't good enough to watch unless some airhead is getting wet between the legs over a panda.

Comment

It seems that Japanese broadcasters are uniting against (isn't that a kind of monopoly of sorts?) Panasonic's new smart television.
                        I hesitated about starting this thread, because I know nothing about tech, but I guess it's as good as any place to learn, what with all the pros we have on the forum.

My questions all started when I saw a story in Japan Today about this and I'll put it below, but what I want to know is:

*How unfair is this?
                        It seems that the customers should dictate the supply and demand. If people want to buy it, shouldn't companies sell it?

*Shouldn't advertisers just roll with it?
                        Radio-TV-phones-internet...the world is changing, is it that hard to be creative and attack the new markets with excitement?
                        We are always going to be sold something, just find other ways to do it.

*What else haven't we been sold?
                        Are there other examples of things being suppressed from us?

*8 track vs cassette
                        *Beta vs VHS
                        *Blue Ray vs DVD
                        Is this kind of the same thing or no?

JAPAN TODAY
                        Broadcasters ban Panasonic 'smart' TV commercial:

TOKYO (AFP) \

Japanese broadcasters are refusing to air commercials for Panasonicfs new gsmarth television, the manufacturer said, amid speculation they feel threatened by its combined TV-Internet function.

Private broadcasters\in a rare case of turning down a major advertiser\have said they will not show commercials for the product, claiming the split screen simultaneously showing broadcast content and web pages may confuse viewers, according to reports.

gIPTV, or smart television, is a new area of service, and we are in talks to create new rules for broadcasting,h Panasonic said in a statement. gWe refrain from making further comments.h

Web users who have seen the commercial, available on video-sharing site YouTube, lashed out at broadcasters for an apparently quixotic attempt to protect their medium from competition.

gTerrestrial broadcasting is finished because it has failed to keep up with the trend,h said one posting underneath the video by Desuzo Otaku. gForget it. We live in the time of the Internet.h

gLG, Samsung have already released similar televisions a long time ago, but they cannot bring them to Japan,h said another posting by tairaomote, referring to Panasonicfs South Korean rivals.

Japan has a lively and competitive broadcast scene and a thriving Internet culture.

However, despite a reputation for innovative wizardry, Japan is sometimes slow to adopt new forms of technology into mainstream use. Some major companies are criticised for not keeping up with changes in modes of consumption.

Rules on political campaigning that had banned the use of the Internet have only recently been relaxed ahead of the July 21 upper house election.

Comment

To be fair, the broadcasters arent blocking sales of the TV, they just dont want to air the ad for it.
                          It will still sell, and to an extent, this blocking of the ad will have the opposite effect. People are now interested. Internet masses already know.

And Panasonic didnt start this, there are plenty of internet capable TVs overseas, not to mention the TV Capable PC that even the oldies here know how to use (wife's parents used to have one for the second room)

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
                            To be fair, the broadcasters arent blocking sales of the TV, they just dont want to air the ad for it.
                            It will still sell, and to an extent, this blocking of the ad will have the opposite effect. People are now interested. Internet masses already know.

And Panasonic didnt start this, there are plenty of internet capable TVs overseas, not to mention the TV Capable PC that even the oldies here know how to use (wife's parents used to have one for the second room)
                            Do you think it's fair of them to block it?
                            Why not just capitalize on it?

Comment

There is so much $hit flashing around the screen of most Japanese TV programs (the staid and excellent value for money NHK excepted), that it's a wonder the viewers aren't thoroughly confused already. Or having seizures.

And that's before you press the "d" button...

I thought Panasonic had said they were getting out of the TV business 'cause there's no money in it for them anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X