Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Refreshing & Uplifting; The Coke Side of Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refreshing & Uplifting; The Coke Side of Life

* NZ male model-actor arrested over cocaine possession
    * The Price is Right

NZ male model-actor arrested over cocaine possession
    CRIME JUL. 27, 2013 - 06:30AM JST

TOKYO \
    A male model-actor from New Zealand who appears in TV commercials in Japan has been arrested on suspicion of cocaine possession.

According to media reports, the suspect, identified as Kieran Price, 25, was stopped for a random search on the street in Tokyofs Roppongi district around the middle of this month. TV Asahi and the Yomiuri newspaper quoted police as saying that the suspect threw a plastic bag containing white powder away and tried to flee before being apprehended.

An analysis of the bagfs contents showed it was cocaine, TV Asahi quoted police as saying.

Japan Today
    When I mention the outrage against 'white profiling', please understand that I am referring to the vilification of cocaine.

Last edited by NorthByNorthwest; 2013-07-31, 10:43 AM.

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post
    * NZ male model-actor arrested over cocaine possession
    * The Price is Right

When I mention the outrage against 'white profiling', please understand that I am referring to the vilification of cocaine.....
    you can't beat it, the feeling you get from coke based jail time...

Comment

what a douche. Not saying because he is using coke in Japan, but he is good looking, has a good job and he ruins it by doing drugs. Probably get his visa revoked and sent back without doing time.

Comment

He'll do some time while they figure out what to with him. My old co-worker got busted growing a marijuana plant on his veranda, and spent 4-6 weeks in jail before they deported him.

Comment

I'm glad this thread was started because I've been dying to ask you all:

Are we foreigners good with this?

"....Kieran Price, 25, was stopped for a random search on the street in Tokyofs Roppongi district..."

Why are the police stopping foreigners (or anyone for that matter) for 'random searches'?
          What are the rules here?
          Should we stop and agree?
          Anyone know our rights?

****Not that I'm holding, but I'd like to know.

Comment

The police can stop anyone they want and ask to search, however there is no legal requirement to let them. However, if you were to deny them, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some loophole that they would use to do something.

Random searches happen in Roppongi fairly regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post

"....Kieran Price, 25, was stopped for a random search on the street in Tokyofs Roppongi district..."

Why are the police stopping foreigners (or anyone for that matter) for 'random searches'?
              What are the rules here?
              Should we stop and agree?
              Anyone know our rights?

****Not that I'm holding, but I'd like to know.
              Think Debito had something about this in the paper years ago. Think it was you don't have to submit to a search, just stand there and do nothing. The police can't do anything if you do not resist. He gave this as the reason why one sometimes sees several police surrounding a person, standing still, and just staring at each other.

Comment

I didn't know about these random searches. Never heard about that in Osaka.
                We have them back home, but mostly because many people like to carry weapons.

I wonder if they did one day of random searches at Shinjuku station, how much they would find.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
                  what a douche. Not saying because he is using coke in Japan, but he is good looking, has a good job and he ruins it by doing drugs. Probably get his visa revoked and sent back without doing time.
                  No. Doing drugs doesn't necessarily ruin anything. It certainly can, but it seems in this case the suspect was still good looking and getting paid pretty well. It's the vilification of drugs, the "random" searches of otherwise lawful citizens, and the unwarranted public/media scrutiny coupled with the heavy handed repercussions that ruins it. As far as I am concerned, what someone wants to do to their body is their business as long as it doesn't endanger or infringe on my life. From the little bit that can be gleaned from the news reports, he was doing neither.

Comment

In this case, the racial profiling ended up running true. You should be pissed at this guy for giving police more reason to cast suspicions on foreigners.

If police ask to search me next time i am in Roppongi, i will blame this guy, not the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
                      No. Doing drugs doesn't necessarily ruin anything. It certainly can, but it seems in this case the suspect was still good looking and getting paid pretty well. It's the vilification of drugs, the "random" searches of otherwise lawful citizens, and the unwarranted public/media scrutiny coupled with the heavy handed repercussions that ruins it. As far as I am concerned, what someone wants to do to their body is their business as long as it doesn't endanger or infringe on my life. From the little bit that can be gleaned from the news reports, he was doing neither.
                      Although I agree with you regarding the vilification of drugs, your signature "Timing has an awful lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance" says it all. Defintiely some major bad timing on this guy's part.

As 'uncivilized' as the drug laws here may seem to be, they are the law and they have been on the books for quite awhile. So, if you're going to do illegal drugs here, you'd better make absolutely certain that you don't get caught. Because if you do, your life here is pretty much ruined and you'll have nobody to blame for that but yourself.

Nobody goes out for the evening expecting to get randomly stopped by the police, but unfortunately out in the real world crazy sh!t often happens. He's walking around Roppongi and holding. There are usually lots of police in Roppongi, aren't there? He tried to dump his stash and run. Panic perhaps? Maybe he was acting in a way that drew the cops attention? Maybe somebody (dumped gf, po'd 'friend', etc.) ratted him out? Maybe if he had kept his cool or hidden his stash much better he would have passed inspection? Lots of maybes.

I've been randomly stopped by the cops before, and the furthest it has ever gone has been an ID check. I showed them my ID, they looked at it, gave it back and then said "That's all". So, there must be something more to this story. There are lots of foreigners roaming the streets or Roppongi so what was this guy doing to make himself stand out?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
                        so what was this guy doing to make himself stand out?
                        He was being in Roppongi. Maybe you've never seen it, but the police really do random searches there.

Comment

Never had a random search there. Despite having been very drunk on numerous occasions

But if i was a J-cop i would be random searching foreigners there too. Probably a good arrest rate

Comment

Originally posted by Esoteric View Post
                            He was being in Roppongi. Maybe you've never seen it, but the police really do random searches there.
                            OK. The cops often conduct random searches in that area. Shouldn't knowing that be a good enough reason to not walk around Roppongi holding a baggie of cocaine? If you've just got to do that, then at least make sure it's hidden so well that you cannot even remember (without thinking really hard) where you put it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
                              OK. The cops often conduct random searches in that area. Shouldn't knowing that be a good enough reason to not walk around Roppongi holding a baggie of cocaine? If you've just got to do that, then at least make sure it's hidden so well that you cannot even remember (without thinking really hard) where you put it.
                              Either don't carry or have the stones to stare down the cops and refuse a body search when stopped. Serious failure of nerve imo, but the dude will lose a nice soft rich gig.

Comment

Working...
                              X