Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Refreshing & Uplifting; The Coke Side of Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
    Although I agree with you regarding the vilification of drugs, your signature "Timing has an awful lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance" says it all. Defintiely some major bad timing on this guy's part.

As 'uncivilized' as the drug laws here may seem to be, they are the law and they have been on the books for quite awhile. So, if you're going to do illegal drugs here, you'd better make absolutely certain that you don't get caught. Because if you do, your life here is pretty much ruined and you'll have nobody to blame for that but yourself.

Nobody goes out for the evening expecting to get randomly stopped by the police, but unfortunately out in the real world crazy sh!t often happens. He's walking around Roppongi and holding. There are usually lots of police in Roppongi, aren't there? He tried to dump his stash and run. Panic perhaps? Maybe he was acting in a way that drew the cops attention? Maybe somebody (dumped gf, po'd 'friend', etc.) ratted him out? Maybe if he had kept his cool or hidden his stash much better he would have passed inspection? Lots of maybes.

I've been randomly stopped by the cops before, and the furthest it has ever gone has been an ID check. I showed them my ID, they looked at it, gave it back and then said "That's all". So, there must be something more to this story. There are lots of foreigners roaming the streets or Roppongi so what was this guy doing to make himself stand out?
    Please don't get me wrong. I'm not defending him by any means. I'm just saying that the act of doing drugs does not mean your life will be ruined.
    You're absolutely right that there's probably more to the story, and this guy is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    He was probably doing something to attract attention or was ratted out as you suggested.
    I can tell you one thing, it wouldn't matter if I had a kilo of coke, heroin, marijuana or meth on me, or if I was completely clean, I will never consent to a random search.
    I'll be happy to present identification and answer a few questions even though I may legally not have to, but I will never willingly allow another person to search my body (unless she's REALLY hot!).

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
      OK. The cops often conduct random searches in that area. Shouldn't knowing that be a good enough reason to not walk around Roppongi holding a baggie of cocaine?
      You would think so. I wouldn't carry cocaine in this country period, but especially not in any of the major party areas. Maybe he didn't realize that.

Comment

Don't laugh now, but I have never been to a bar/club in Japan.
        I'm a divey izakaya man.

So how prevalent are drugs in clubs in Japan?
        I would have thought that coke is a thing of the past and the kids smoke that chemical herbie stuff.

And by the way, why don't more talento/singers die from overdoses in Japan?

Comment

Here he is in a Pocari Sweat CM:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
            Don't laugh now, but I have never been to a bar/club in Japan.

And by the way, why don't more talento/singers die from overdoses in Japan?
            Never been to one either.

Don't think talents ever die. One hit wonders like Dandy Sakano still comes back from time to time. Sunlight, stake through the heart, garlic, nothing keeps these guys away.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
              I'm just saying that the act of doing drugs does not mean your life will be ruined.
              Unless its crystal meth...
              Last edited by TheEngineer; 2013-07-31, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineer View Post
                Well, the getting caught part almost certainly ruins your life. That and crystal meth are a near certain show stopper.
                And heroin. Don't forget heroin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                  Never been to one either. Don't think talents ever die. One hit wonders like Dandy Sakano still comes back from time to time. Sunlight, stake through the heart, garlic, nothing keeps these guys away.
                  Gets!

Originally posted by TheEngineer View Post
                  Unless its crystal meth...
                  I don't think that drugs are as big a problem in Japan as in other countries.
                  Sure, we hear stories about kakuseizai from time to time, but what percent of people actually use the stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Esoteric View Post
                    And heroin. Don't forget heroin.
                    But the heroine always saves the day!

Comment

I don't think that drugs are as big a problem in Japan as in other countries.
                      Sure, we hear stories about kakuseizai from time to time, but what percent of people actually use the stuff?
                      That's one of the things I love about Japan - almost no drugs. To answer your club question, I haven't been in a decade, but there wasn't a big drug culture in the clubs when I did go. Not like I've seen in most other countries.

Kakuseizai, which just means 'stimulant', can refer to a wide range of drugs, but usually refers to meth. Meth was actually created by the Japanese, and IIRC it's the most used drug in Japan.

Dirty dirty stuff.

Comment

That's one of the things I love about Japan - almost no drugs. To answer your club question, I haven't been in a decade, but there wasn't a big drug culture in the clubs when I did go. Not like I've seen in most other countries.

Kakuseizai, which just means 'stimulant', can refer to a wide range of drugs, but usually refers to meth. Meth was actually created by the Japanese, and IIRC it's the most used drug in Japan.

Dirty dirty stuff.
                        I agree with you, but then again, I'm not a club goer, so I wouldn't know how easy it is to score these days.

Comment

Dirty dirty stuff.
                          Another in agreement. Nice not being held up or robbed by someone needing his fix money. Although always amusing when the police raid some famous person's home and come up with one or two grams of stimulant.

Comment

One has to wonder of the quality of the bag tossed, I'm betting 80% baking powder... sucker.
                            Last edited by arukas; 2013-07-31, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Japanese companies (I wonder if Tatsuo is going to tell me that 'Japanese' is not necessary in that statement?) do not like scandals and tend to cut ties with damaged goods rather quickly.
                              So what does Pocari do now?

Do they have to pull the commercial?
                              Do they mosiac out his face?

Or, maybe, just maybe, they will superimpose a yellow duck over the guy?

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
                              Here he is in a Pocari Sweat CM:

Comment

Japanese companies (I wonder if Tatsuo is going to tell me that 'Japanese' is not necessary in that statement?) do not like scandals and tend to cut ties with damaged goods rather quickly.
                                So what does Pocari do now?

Do they have to pull the commercial?
                                Do they mosiac out his face?

Or, maybe, just maybe, they will superimpose a yellow duck over the guy?
                                The star of those CMs is Fukuda Kyoko. She's all anybody is probably going to recognize. The non-Japanese extras are just 'no names' to most people, so my guess is that Pocari will keep running it until somebody says something about it. Pocari might not even know about it right now. However, the Pocari account rep at the ad agency which made those CMs most likely knows and is probably sweating buckets now hoping that this all goes away very quickly and quietly.

But, if they do have to pull the ads, then somebody at Pocari will figure out a way to claim damages from this guy, his agency and the ad agency. Perhaps the conversation will go something like this: "Do the reshoots for free, or we will take all of our business somewhere else."

Comment

Working...
                                X