Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How much do architects usually charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do architects usually charge?

I will be remodelling the family home and want to know the typical fee for architects. Some suggest it is 3% of the value of work done. Would that normally include the cost of any appliances/kitchen systems/baths installed, or merely the actual installation cost? We are looking at a 10 million yen job.

cheers

I think they will vary a fair bit. Get three quotes and don't necessarily take the cheapest is how I proceed with these things. We recently paid about 230,000 for drawings/handling planning permission/certification and job supervision on a 5 million Yen, new build extension. The job was a bit tricky compared to what it sounds like you are up to.

Comment

I chose my architect based on his design sense. He was the third architect we received a draft from. In my case it was for building a new house and we told each architect that our budget was 14 million yen including design fees (not including the land of course!). We ended up getting charged 600,000 yen for the design (3-storey house), but we were really pleased with the design so I was happy with that. Remodeling a house is bound to be different, though.

Comment

Thanks very much to those who responded. Can anyone tell me how the architect's fee is broken down? Can I just offer a flat rate?
        cheers

Comment

Originally posted by hagesensei View Post
          Thanks very much to those who responded. Can anyone tell me how the architect's fee is broken down? Can I just offer a flat rate?
          cheers
          What exactly are you going to do on the remodel , bare in mind the footprint of the house and it's "Kempeiritsu" I trust you are on good terms with the neighbours

Comment

All 3 floors will get new wood floors, 1 tatami room, some new walls put up, some taken down, new kitchen and bath put in, small wooden balcony and sliding door attached.

Comment

Originally posted by hagesensei View Post
              All 3 floors will get new wood floors, 1 tatami room, some new walls put up, some taken down, new kitchen and bath put in, small wooden balcony and sliding door attached.
              In that case you do not need an architect. A carpenter plus man with van team is all that's required and would have the job finished in less than a month. If you are spending 10 Mil , have your Dike check the foundation timbers for dry rot , fill the walls with thick insulation and have windows and doors double glazed .... fill the Attic with insulation .

Comment

• Since1990
                Since1990 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I was thinking that. Perhaps for the wooden balcony if it's not a standard one. You will have to be careful that the remodeling is legal, otherwise you'll have difficulty in selling the house in the future.

using your "noggin" You can fly a couple of first class carpenters in from Lithuania, Latvia or Poland who will work 14 hours a day for 50,000yen per month . I never said that OK ! Interview on Skype for English understandability ... I never said that also..... Treat them to bed & breakfast and a beer in the evening ..(they sleep on site) I never said that ...... Use your "noggin" and tell them, when they arrive at immigration that they are here on holiday .... I never said THAT either ....

Comment

Working...
              X