Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Are there ACTUAL 2-bedroom apartments??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there ACTUAL 2-bedroom apartments??

2-room apartments that I have seen so far tend to have the second room adjoined to the first, meaning that you have to walk through the first room to get to the second room. Sometimes it's even laid out such that one room has a balcony and the washing machine is on that balcony meaning that you have to walk through someone's room just to get your laundry. In other places, the second room was some kind of walled corner so it had a sliding door but no windows.

I suppose the whole 2R, etc. classifications are simply stating that there are 2 rooms, not necessarily 2 rooms fit to be bedrooms...

My question is, is that normal? Have any of you ever lived with another person in such an arrangement? How could it possibly work out?

One of my friends is planning on returning to Tokyo and we were thinking of living together.
    As 2 females, of course we are not skittish about being seen in our underwear or whatever (we have shared one room in the past), but we'd still each like to have our own space.

I should also add that I've been looking at places with rent no higher than 110,00yen/month in Tokyo-proper (not the suburbs).

I fear that I'll have to either sacrifice 15mins to walk to the station or 30mins on a train to access the Yamanote Line to get what I want, as putting up more money is not an option

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by sideways_gun; 2012-04-07, 11:00 AM.

You need a 2LDK. That'll give you 2 bedrooms that are not part of the general living space.

Comment

Originally posted by beach246 View Post
      You need a 2LDK. That'll give you 2 bedrooms that are not part of the general living space.
      Aah I see! Thank you so much for your help.

Now let's see if I can pony up the cash / find a 2LDK that isn't barren on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways_gun View Post
        Aah I see! Thank you so much for your help.

Now let's see if I can pony up the cash / find a 2LDK that isn't barren on the inside.
        For 110,000 yen, You should consider areas outside of Tokyo like Mitaka, Jiguaoka or Itabashi-ku areas. They are close to Tokyo but out of Tokyo.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
          For 110,000 yen, You should consider areas outside of Tokyo like Mitaka, Jiguaoka or Itabashi-ku areas. They are close to Tokyo but out of Tokyo.
          Okay, thanks for that pointer! I was so worried about morning commutes on the Chuo line and other major commuter lines making me another sardine in the can but, hey, paupers can't be choosers!!

Comment

Originally posted by sideways_gun View Post
            Okay, thanks for that pointer! I was so worried about morning commutes on the Chuo line and other major commuter lines making me another sardine in the can but, hey, paupers can't be choosers!!
            If this is your major concern, it might even be better to move to a place further out as you can line up for a seat at the terminus, e.g. Hiyoshi, Ayase,...

Comment

110000 yen? sjeesh I knew Tokyo was expensive but wtf. I pay 80000 for a 3ldk, granted its not near the center (20 min by train) but very convenient.

Comment

You could also look at areas like Misato or Rokucho on the Tsukuba Express line. Misato is only 15min away from Akihabara and the area is still affordable.

Comment

I see, thank you for your location advice, everyone. It's good to know the state of things.
                  Distance from the centre doesn't concern me so much but, for my friend, it's necessary to be not more than 30mins out from Shinjuku... restrictive, I know =_= Anyway, I'll keep everything y'all have said in mind for future property hunts! Thanks

In the meantime, might end up just going with Fontana, even though one place I rented from them in the past was plagued by phantom ____roaches..... Only having to pay 1month's rent as a deposit and no other startup costs for fully furnished apartments is pulling me in again....
                  Last edited by sideways_gun; 2012-04-13, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X