Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can I trust www.tokyo-rental-apartments.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I trust www.tokyo-rental-apartments.com?

If all goes well, I will be moving to Tokyo from my native Sweden for a one-year stay on a student visa, either late September or early October.

I have been in touch with a number of agencies offering apartments to non-Japanese speaking foreigners, and so far, a company called either En+ or Tokyo Living (URL: www.tokyo-rental-apartments.com – not sure why they seem to use more than one name, but maybe I've misunderstood something?) has presented me with what seems like the best option – a studio apartment in a building called Prospect Axe the Tower Shinjuku, to be precise. (The only problem for me, as a student, being that I apparently have to prove that I have a rather substantial bank balance, as well as the visa itself and a 12-month acceptance letter from the school where I will be studying during my stay, to be eligible for a contract. Don't know if this is some kind of standard procedure...)

So, to get to the point: can I trust this company? Has anyone else here had any dealings with them? They seem serious enough to me, but you never know...

(If things don't work out with En+/Tokyo Living, I guess Hikari would be my plan B, but the three-month rates they've offered me are... well, quite staggering.)

Don't know about the company, but the conditions are normal. They need proof of you being a student on a proper visa lest you be suddenly deported for being here illegally. The proof of money in the bank because they need to know that you will not just skip out for lack of funds. Even Japanese with well paying positions needs to provide a guarantor when renting.

Comment

Yes, the company seems to be a legit one, targetting foreigners with 'premium apartments', most likely also at 'premium prices'.

Personally, I would not recommend to rent an apartment for a year without having seen the place and its surroundings first (or at least checked out by a trusted friend). I'd rather come a bit earlier, live in a hotel or weekly mansion and sort out the apartment then.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
        Yes, the company seems to be a legit one, targetting foreigners with 'premium apartments', most likely also at 'premium prices'.

Personally, I would not recommend to rent an apartment for a year without having seen the place and its surroundings first (or at least checked out by a trusted friend). I'd rather come a bit earlier, live in a hotel or weekly mansion and sort out the apartment then.
        Great advice, TT.

What is it with this Instant Apartment syndrome people have of late?????????

OP,

Come, get a weekly apartment or a room at a guesthouse, get a bicycle and go spelunking around areas you think you might want to live: close to school, good shops, naked dancing girls on the corners, etc. etc.

The right neighbourhood can make life in Japan a magical affair, esp. in a big city. Good shops and restaraunts, quirky old people washing the pavement at 5 am, all the fun of a hillbilly town right in the big city.

The wrong one can make it a living hell.

I would bet most of these English Apartments are in vacated buidlings they got on the cheap.

That might be a bad sign for the neighbourhoods in which they are located.

At any rate, get to Japan first, then look.

Comment

Working...
        X