Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Anyone know a good site for a 3 bed apartment or house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a good site for a 3 bed apartment or house.

Hi everyone,

I`ve recently started work at resort in Japan. I`ll be moving to Tokyo around the first of April. Me and 2 other friends are looking to rent a property together. Does anyone know of good sites for properties at reasonable prices? We`re all foreigners, so one that doesn`t require a japanese guarantor. Thanks!

Most resorts provide accomodation as part of the job. No, guests/friends are not welcome to live in those accomodations with hotel staff.

Tokyo is a big place, you need to specify where in Tokyo you wish to live. ... and how long you wish to live there. You also need to define "reasonable prices".

A "3LDK" is what you would be looking for. The bedrooms would be different sized, and the walls are thin enough to hear someone inside fart.

Comment

The resort I'm working at has provided me with accommodation. Oooooooo so that's what 3LDK stands for!!!! Thanks sooooo much. We want a place that's not to far from central Tokyo 20-30 min train at max. It needs to reasonably priced, 60-65,000 yen max per person, with bills included. We won't a contract that won't tie us down for too long, I guess a year would be perfect. Thanks for the reply

Comment

The key question is how long you want to rent. Some gaijin houses (google for this) also offer apartments for three people from one month onward. You can also check classifieds at metropolis.co.jp

For longer term rental (2 years is the standard contract term), you can look for apartments online, on sites suchas stepon.co.jp or chintai.net (Japanese only). Kencorp operates an English site, but has mainly upscale housing for families. Keep in mind that the real estate agency fee is usually a month of rent as well as a deposit. Virtually all places require guarantors, but the agency will be able to introduce a commercial guarantor company (at extra cost, of course).

Your main problem is something else : Whoever 'officially' rents the place is stuck with the contract. If e.g. one of the other guys suddenly decides to move in with his new girlfriend, are you happy to pay the higher rent until the lease expires ? So I'd probably insist that the deposit is paid by the other guys not renting and only returned to them at the end of the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Cimbom88 View Post
          Hi everyone,

I`ve recently started work at resort in Japan. I`ll be moving to Tokyo around the first of April. Me and 2 other friends are looking to rent a property together. Does anyone know of good sites for properties at reasonable prices? We`re all foreigners, so one that doesn`t require a japanese guarantor. Thanks!

In addition to the ones listed above, here's one more.
          http://www.tokyoapartment81.com/

I think for the price range you are looking at, you will be rather hard-pressed to find a place large enough for 3 youngish guys plus having a low deposit, low key money, and hopefully low maintenance. Of course 1 month (at least) is an agency fee. Basically, most landlords EXPECT to keep the deposit, so in many cases if you want to leave after one year AND get the deposit back, especially as foreigners, you could have trouble.

Good luck.

You could look farther afield such as Kaihin Makuhari, Kemigawahama, Inage Kaigan, etc. on the packed Keio Line.

Comment

The 'contract' that you sign with a rental agreement, does not bind the renter. It only binds the landlord from increasing rent, and serves as a place-holder for when they can charge you the "contract renewal fee" (1 month rent).

There are no penalties for leaving a rental agreement before the contract is up.

As for rental costs, it still is around 5 months rent up front, of which you may get 1 month back:
            1 Month key money (that is not refunded)
            1 Month Deposit (that is refunded, minus about half that is used for 'cleaning')
            1 Month real estate agent fee (not refunded)
            1 Month guarantor fee (this is required, and not refunded)
            half a month or so for 'cleaning' and 'key cutting fee'

The first two can *sometimes* be avoided, if you are willing to move into an older, or somewhat undesirable apartment. Its not so easy when you want a nice apartment though.

Factor in 17 months rent for the total cost of renting for 12 months, just to be on the safe side (and then you will have money for furniture if you are lucky)
            65k * 3 * 12 / 17 = 135,000 per month is the amount you should be aiming for if you are going for a standard rental contract. Rent will only be 45k a month each, but that extra 20k will cover the up to 600,000yen you will be paying up front.

For that money you should be able to find something - maybe out west on the Chuo lines etc. Express trains will get you to tokyo in 20-30 mins from some of the more inaka-type areas.

Comment

These guys have 0.5 months rent as the agency fee, and we got our apartment through them. Not sure if they offer that price for their English service
              http://www.able.co.jp/international/en.html

Comment

Working...
              X