Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Having paying guests at your house on a tourist visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having paying guests at your house on a tourist visa

Hi there,

I have a friend who recently purchased a property in a ski town in Japan (Niigata), and is currently staying there on a temporary visitor visa (the 90 day visa exemption as an Australian).

Whilst there (and possibly for a short time after they return to Australia), they have short-term (i.e 1 week) and long-term (i.e. 3+ months) guests paying to stay at the lodge. The guests are all gaijins and the majority are paying their costs to stay there into the owner's Australian bank account.

I've raised my concerns with my friend that this may not be legal. The 'Embassy of Japan in Australia' website (http://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/en/vis...ryvisitor.html) lists the permitted activities of the temporary visitor visa, and I don't think earning money from guests staying at the lodge would be allowed; in effect it is earning money in Japan. Or am I wrong?

Without the proper visa (and/or license to run the lodge as a pension?), I was under the impression they would be in breach of their visa conditions, specifically the 'Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act' (http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/ne...t_english.html), and could face fines, jail or deportation.

This is not to mention that 1) all the pensions in the area have to pay taxes to the community, and as my friend is not running a registered pension they are avoiding this tax, and 2) socially it is not a good move as the Japanese would see it as stealing their business.

If someone could please point me to any references stating why they legally could or could not do this (preferably something official rather than heresay), that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by japan71; 2013-01-30, 09:03 PM.

So you want forum support to blackmail your friend ?
    Just check Luke 6:42 : "Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye."

Comment

Technically, it is not legal for a whole schlob of reasons. Biz registration, insurance, taxes, all that.

In reality, no one is going to care.

Comment

Originally posted by wzwzwz View Post
        Technically, it is not legal for a whole schlob of reasons. Biz registration, insurance, taxes, all that.

In reality, no one is going to care.
        The OP seems to care. The OP is looking out for their "friend". I know that the one of the things I always do whenever I feel that a friend of mine is doing something questionable is post on some anonymous Internet forum about it. It is so important that I find people to prove that I am right and that my friend is wrong because I always feel much better after that.

Comment

Originally posted by japan71 View Post
          Without the proper visa (and/or license to run the lodge as a pension?), I was under the impression they would be in breach of their visa conditions, specifically the 'Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act' .
          Whatever happened to 'live and let live?'

Do you have a grudge against this man or is it a jealousy thing that is motivating you to rat on him?

Unless he is harming or deceiving other people, leave him alone.

Comment

To be fair, the OP is trying his or her best to right a historic wrong:

why let convicts perpetuate their legacy????

I say transport the ____er!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP,

PM the details, and I will happily report them.

Not because it's a big deal, but because he's a douchebag Asstralian.

Surely that is wrong enough in itself?????

Comment

Working...
            X