Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

25 Year Old Moving to Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 Year Old Moving to Tokyo

Hello everyone,

I am a 25-year old male working in finance in LA. I am doing a one-year rotation in Tokyo starting in July. I was hoping to get some help for my apartment search. I will be working near Tokyo station. I want somewhere that is a little upbeat but not too commercial. Somewhere with a lot of character and restaurants would be my preference.

My company is giving me an allowance around 350,000 Yen. A furnished apartment would most likely fit within this allowance. One of my friends had suggested Ark Hills but I am not too familiar with the area/property.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. Ark Hills might indeed not be a good choice, many people in your situation would rather live in the Roppongi/Nisih-Azabu area.
    How good is your Japanese ? You could start with English real estate pages such as kencorp (they also explain the different areas of Tokyo) as well as Japanese pages such as chintai.net, suumo.jp, stepon.co.jp, ...)

Comment

350000 allowance???

gah

Comment

Thanks for the response. I do not speak Japanese. For some reason it was not a requirement for the rotation. I'll look into these websites as a starting point.

Is Ginza really boring? An agency had suggested looking into Bureau Ginza. Are you familiar with the various Oakwood properties? Oakwood Residence (Azabujyuban) was also a suggested residence.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
          Welcome to the forum. Ark Hills might indeed not be a good choice, many people in your situation would rather live in the Roppongi/Nisih-Azabu area.
          How good is your Japanese ? You could start with English real estate pages such as kencorp (they also explain the different areas of Tokyo) as well as Japanese pages such as chintai.net, suumo.jp, stepon.co.jp, ...)
          I agree. Ark Hills is not such an interesting place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
            350000 allowance???

gah
            Welcome to the world of Finance and the high paying (though also high stress) jobs it provides. It sure makes you question your career choices when you hear figures like this huh!

OP, Ginza is not boring, it is very much a lively, posh area of Tokyo. There are however very few supermarkets in that area and it wont have as much character as some of the suburban areas. As stated by some of the others here, many finance guys live in the Azabu/Roppongi area as it is close to the clubbing district and supposedly has more conveniences.

If you want real character, you would want to head east to ____amachi, or west, past shinjuku, but then you would waste more than half of your rent allowance unless you wanted to rent a 5br luxury place!

Comment

Originally posted by wernst View Post
              350000 allowance???

gah
              Yeah, the finance sector ne!

"you know you're not in high finance considering second hand underpants" (by Flight of the Conchords)

Comment

Azabu Juban is one of my favorite areas. Also nice are: Ebisu, Naka Meguro, Omotesando and Aoyama. In my experience, Kencorp is wildly overpriced, with a focus mainly on expat C-level execs. If your company has any kind of presence at all in Tokyo, they should have a staff member who can line up something for you and hold your hand thru the whole process of moving in and getting settled.

Comment

Originally posted by imnotawino View Post
                  In my experience, Kencorp is wildly overpriced, with a focus mainly on expat C-level execs. If your company has any kind of presence at all in Tokyo, they should have a staff member who can line up something for you and hold your hand thru the whole process of moving in and getting settled.
                  Yes and no. Ken caters to a different market, usually foreign expats with families who are used to western-sized rooms, large bathtubs, foreign-built washing machines and fridges, etc. Some of the properties even have a maid room... They have many english-speaking agents and are used to dealing with foreigners.
                  But usually apartments come unfurnished, but some have built-in closets. If you want furnished ones, check Oawood or join the famous 'Hills Tribe' at Mori Living.

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I am going through one of the local mobility agencies but just wanted to get some additional ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by z2theobli View Post
                      Hello everyone,

I am a 25-year old

My company is giving me an allowance around 350,000 Yen.

Thank you.
                      Be careful not to get the zeroes confused. You sure its 350,000 not 35,000? As a 25 yr. old how much do you make? For an allowance like that you would have to be in the USD150K a yr salary range.... Which company is this that is so generous?

Comment

You could live around Ueno. That's a pretty interesting part of the city and only a few stops from Tokyo station.
                        Somewhere like Sangengaya might suit you too. Pretty hip and close to Shibuya but with some supermarkets and stuff.
                        I guess it would be about 30 min from there to Tokyo station.

Comment

Originally posted by gaijinmx View Post
                          Be careful not to get the zeroes confused. You sure its 350,000 not 35,000? As a 25 yr. old how much do you make? For an allowance like that you would have to be in the USD150K a yr salary range.... Which company is this that is so generous?
                          In the first post he said he's working in Finance and on a one-year job rotation.

Comment

Working...
                          X