Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Any experience or advice on "La Tour Shibakoen Annex"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience or advice on "La Tour Shibakoen Annex"

http://www.sumitomo-latour.jp/englis...rint_index.php

Says its located 2 mins from Shibakoen Sta.

I'm looking at this as a short term (monthly) rental until we decide on a long term apartment. One thing that worries me is that I see a lot of units advertised for rent (short and long term) out of this relatively small property (7 stories high). Makes me think if it was relatively good why so many empty units... So any one have any advice? is the area not desirable? I'm interested in Kichijoji as a long term location but have not found any monthly apartments that can accommodate a family of 4. Thanks for any help!

Shibakoen is fine, I live ~10 min walk from this apartment. Only thing is that JR is a bit of a hike.

Comment

Thanks. Is the closer Shibakoen-eki on the Mita line pretty useless? How about Akabanebashi on Oedo line? I know it obviously depends of where one wants to go, but talking in general how useful/convenient are these lines?

Comment

This area is not really residential, but rather has many offices, so relatively few shops/restaurants and pretty quiet on weekends. Check Google street view. You see that the company is Sumitomo Realty and Development, in some cases they actually want to sell the apartments but cannot (at least at the desired price), so they convert them to montly mansions and hope that the market recovers....

Mita line goes straight to downtown Tokyo (Hibiya, Otemachi). It really depends where you work

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
          This area is not really residential, but rather has many offices, so relatively few shops/restaurants and pretty quiet on weekends. Check Google street view. You see that the company is Sumitomo Realty and Development, in some cases they actually want to sell the apartments but cannot (at least at the desired price), so they convert them to montly mansions and hope that the market recovers....

Mita line goes straight to downtown Tokyo (Hibiya, Otemachi). It really depends where you work
          Thanks ttokyo. I would have imagined the opposite, many offices = many (cheap) (good) restaurants, as the millions of workers have to eat somewhere... But taking your advice a street view did confirm your comment that the area looks commercial, except for the large Shiba park a couple of blocks away, which I assume would be a nice place to take the kids. Anyways, most of the decent monthly rentals that I have found so far are very Tokyo central and all in very commercial areas, so I'm leaning towards Shiba as the "least worst" temporary location.

Interesting that Sumitomo is renting them for that reason, actually it makes sense.

Comment

Well, you're half right. Many offices will mean there are at least some cheap coffe shop and cafeteria style restaraunts serving indifferent 800 yen lunches, and they'll close at 4 pm, at the latest.

During the day, it will be a hustling bustling beehive. After 6-ish, a graveyard.

Keep in mind I know nothing of that area you are talking about, but that is the way it works.

As TTo noted, they are probably what they call New Towns, a sort of residential development on cheap, reclassified industrial or mixed use land that got sacked by the bursting of the real estate market.

Often nice buildings, in rather depressing locations.

What year were those buildings put up? It should say somewhere in the description.

Your wife and kids might find it rather not very good to live in such a place. Think of a semi-suburban industrial / commercial park at home, and on the downskid, just like at home.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
              Well, you're half right. Many offices will mean there are at least some cheap coffe shop and cafeteria style restaraunts serving indifferent 800 yen lunches, and they'll close at 4 pm, at the latest. During the day, it will be a hustling bustling beehive. After 6-ish, a graveyard.
              Indifferent 800 yen lunches might be boring for you but for us should be a treat, I hope. Maybe you take good food for granted in Japan after living there a long time...

[QUOTE=Keep in mind I know nothing of that area you are talking about, but that is the way it works.
              As TTo noted, they are probably what they call New Towns, a sort of residential development on cheap, reclassified industrial or mixed use land that got sacked by the bursting of the real estate market.
              Often nice buildings, in rather depressing locations.[/QUOTE]

Well this will be home for a couple of months so we will try to make the best of it, gotta start somewhere and to be honest, I found VERY few places that were both "short term" and suitable for a young family, so had to lock this one down. But I have to thank you as we will now set our expectations low which generally results in being content.

[QUOTE=What year were those buildings put up? It should say somewhere in the description.
              Your wife and kids might find it rather not very good to live in such a place. Think of a semi-suburban industrial / commercial park at home, and on the downskid, just like at home.[/QUOTE]

The building says it was built in "1999-2003" not sure what that means, perhaps it because it was part of the bigger tower of the same name that is next door...Not sure what you mean "just like at home"...

Thanks for your comments, I do value every reply very much.

Comment

Working...
              X