Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

I'm leaving Japan and don't know how to get rid of my stuff! Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm leaving Japan and don't know how to get rid of my stuff! Help!

In less than two weeks, I will be packing up and moving on. I have acquired a few items that not worth taking but are too nice (and a bit too big) to throw away. I have no idea what to do with them. They are mostly just cushions, a tatami chair and plastic shelves (great for foreign exchange students) Any ideas?

See your duplicate thread for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic213 View Post
      In less than two weeks, I will be packing up and moving on. I have acquired a few items that not worth taking but are too nice (and a bit too big) to throw away. I have no idea what to do with them. They are mostly just cushions, a tatami chair and plastic shelves (great for foreign exchange students) Any ideas?
      It never ceases to amaze me why gaijin are the only ones in Japan who pay next to nothing or are given some junk and think its worth something when them leave. Give it away if anybody will take it which I doubt, otherwise just leave it for the landlord to dispose of which they undoubtably will.

By the way trying to sell your junk is a noble cause but even exchange students are not rich or even willing to seperate themselves from much more worthwhile things that could be had for a few thousand yen, like beer.
      Last edited by guyjeen; 2013-07-16, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guyjeen View Post
        It never ceases to amaze me why gaijin are the only ones in Japan who pay next to nothing or are given some junk and think its worth something when them leave. Give it away if anybody will take it which I doubt, otherwise just leave it for the landlord to dispose of which they undoubtably will.
        Worth repeating. I've seen foreigners try to sell used furniture for the same price (or more than) it was when it was new.

Comment

There was a super weird older foreign dude that lived along the river road just up from Pole Pole in Kanazawa that was obviously raiding the Big Garbage Days and then listing the stuff for sale in Same as New condition at outrageously inflated prices. We used to call him up and get him to meet us at the Katamchi Scramble with all the big items and look but never buy anything. He usually wanted about 8,000 for a used standard issue small toaster oven. It was a strangely enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon while waiting for it to be late enough to drink.

This was until '99, but he had obviously been there for years, as his house was an absolute hoarder's den of crap. He sounded like a drunk Australian trying to imitate a slow South African, but I think he was just a mental New Englander.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic213 View Post
            I have no idea what to do with cushions, a tatami chair and plastic shelves , Any ideas?
            Yes , here's an idea. Helium Balloons are easy-to-use. take items out onto balcony and affix to balloons. Use hair dryer to blow them away into the night. or take a couple of train rides with said items and forget you ever brought them onto the train.

Comment

Working...
            X