Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Can't decide how to live.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide how to live.

I realize this forum is usually for longer stays than mine (a little over a month) however as you guys are a ____load more experienced than most, I humbly ask for your help.

I can't decide what accommodation option will be better for me, and it's driving me a little nuts. This is a fairly long post, so please bare with me.

Option one:
    Sharing a house with a Japanese man who speaks great English.
    48,000JPY

Pros:
    Private room.
    Might be a bit cheaper because I can use a kitchen (I'll probably just buy convenience store Onigiri anyway)
    Get to experience Japanese life a bit more, which would be great.
    30-45min (160-310JPY) to the CBD

Cons:
    Locked in for the whole month.
    Doesn't have the freedom that a hostel might (coming home late, not coming home at all, bringing a girl back etc. - not sure what the rules are in any of these cases)
    If I get lucky (very lucky) tack on an extra 5000JPY/night for extra hotels.

Option two:
    Staying at a hostel for the month.
    55,000JPY

Pros:
    Not locked in at all, can change to a different place whenever.
    A bit more freedom (no curfew etc.)

Cons:
    A much tighter budget.
    Absolutely no privacy
    Can you bring a girl back to a dorm? Would they even want to? Doubt it.
    If I get lucky (very lucky) tack on an extra 5000JPY/night for extra hotels.
    A little further from the city than option one.

Option three:
    Staying at hostel for first two weeks, then bumming around (staying with people I meet, taking a nap at a bath, karaoke booth, train station, bench, or just catching up on sleep while I'm on a train/bus ride)
    35,000JPY

Pros:
    Much, much more freedom.
    Much more financial freedom, too.
    Would make for a few great stories when I get home.
    More walking opportunities, theoretically I can sleep wherever I need to = less reliance on paid transport.

Cons:
    Still no privacy, but more money for love hotels if (stressing the 'if' here) I need one.
    More reliance on public washing and rest facilities, could cost a bit extra.
    Could get cold/dangerous/weird looks from people.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm losing my wits here. I've always been indecisive and I need to make a decision. If I go with option one, that's it, it's locked in. If I go with options two or three I'll be able to switch between them if I must, but I won't have the chance to switch to option one if I change my mind.

If I go with option one I will have 170,000 JPY left for all my other expenses in Tokyo, including food. Tight budget, right? I may be able to pull together an extra 20,000-60,000 before I get there, not relying on it though.

I have so much that I want to do in Tokyo, I'm focusing so much on women in this thread for three reasons. The first is because the other things (visiting a museum for example) are fairly easy, whereas my chances in picking up are pretty slim already, slimmer still if I have nowhere to take her. The second is that I will be celebrating my 22nd birthday when I'm there and really want it to be memorable. The third is that this is my second time overseas, the first was with my then girlfriend 18 months ago (who I had been with for four years until we broke up a year ago). And as I'm still mentally clinging to her due to all of these memories that we have, I want this trip (in part) to replace the last with much better memories, as vulgar as that sounds.

Any advice from people experienced in Tokyo would be greatly appreciated. I know I sound like an utter idiot here but I'd prefer to put all cards out on the table, sound like an idiot and get sound advice than get none at all and just wing it.

What would you do, if you were me?

So basically you want to do a bit of urban commando camping and shag a bird on your birthday. With the handle of "Athenry" you are identifying yourself as an Irishman coming up to the age of 22 years . would i be right so far ?

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
      So basically you want to do a bit of urban commando camping and shag a bird on your birthday. With the handle of "Athenry" you are identifying yourself as an Irishman coming up to the age of 22 years . would i be right so far ?
      Damn you guys really have seen it all. You're all like gods! lol

Comment

I'd go with the hostel. Staying in Tokyo for 4 weeks *might* get a bit boring. so I'd anyway recommend some overnight trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Athenry View Post
          If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much. At the rate you're going, you won't enjoy your time here because you'll be too busy worrying about a few yen.

Comment

If you even hope to meet and meat a girl, don't even consider the homestay option.

Besides, staying at a hostel might toughen you up a bit, as you will be faced daily with similarly rigorous decisions such as what to have for lunch, and when.

And I agree with what Esoteric wrote. It sounds like you are thinking yourself into quite a dizzy tither. If your expectations are too high, you will be bound to be disappointed, which would be a shame.

BTW, 170,000 yen for a month or so should do you fine for other expenses, unless you have some expensive habits.
            Last edited by kurogane; 2013-07-30, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Put off the trip until you can save more money. You're looking at ~5500 yen per day after the room. Even eating cheap you've got what, 3000 yen left for transport/tourist/fun stuff? Unless your idea of fun is simply walking around the city, you won't be able to enjoy yourself. Hanging out with other random hostelers is only so fun.

As for the girl. Give some thought to how you'll pull that off. Unless you speak decent Japanese, or you're experienced in the arts & charming, you have zero/near-zero chance of getting a girl outside of Minato-ku. Let's say you go out at night there... when most people do. That can get expensive, budget 1000 yen per drink at a bar that actually has girls. Highly unlikely any of them will leave with you while trains are still running, so there's the cab ride from Roppongi to wherever you're staying that night. And they won't want to go to a hostel. So you're likely a >2000 yen cab ride to somewhere else (Gotanda? Shibuya? Shimbashi?) + 7000 yen for a cheap room (5000 yen is really aggressive... even Uguisudani isn't that cheap for a stayover).

If you really can't put the trip off, looking at your ambitions solely from a budget perspective, either of the following is more realistic:
              a) Being aggressive on the street, approach girls during the daytime. On the street, note it's somewhat illegal and you may get complaints/police trouble if you're blatant. So try the "lost gaijin" thing a few times in one place, then keep moving. Starbucks and cafes are always popular too. YMMV.
              b) Consider some dating websites if you'll be here for a month. Some girls work alternative schedules/not at all, with days off on Tuesdays for example. Nurses make easy targets since night shift ends 8-9AM, they want to have a good time after work, and they frequently speak passable English.

With either option you don't necessarily need to worry about taxi fares or alcohol, and hotels are more affordable during day time hours. If the stars align she might even let you go to her place, pay, or be willing to split the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
                Well when you put it like that I just sound like an ___, but yeah pretty much. Although I would prefer to make long-term friendships over there, any human contact is a good thing. Also I'm Australian (which probably makes me seem more the lout). I just a strong have Irish heritage.

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
                I'd go with the hostel. Staying in Tokyo for 4 weeks *might* get a bit boring. so I'd anyway recommend some overnight trips.
                The only two suggestions were for that, so I think that's what I'll do. Thanks for that. I'd love to go on trips and see places like Osaka and Hiroshima, but an overnight bus would cost the same as two nights sleep in a dorm, and I have to fly out of Tokyo anyway so double that. I may not be able to afford it.

Originally posted by Esoteric View Post
                If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much. At the rate you're going, you won't enjoy your time here because you'll be too busy worrying about a few yen.
                Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                If you even hope to meet and meat a girl, don't even consider the homestay option.

Besides, staying at a hostel might toughen you up a bit, as you will be faced daily with similarly rigorous decisions such as what to have for lunch, and when.

And I agree with what Esoteric wrote. It sounds like you are thinking yourself into quite a dizzy tither. If your expectations are too high, you will be bound to be disappointed, which would be a shame.

BTW, 170,000 yen for a month or so should do you fine for other expenses, unless you have some expensive habits.
                It's a curse, it really is. I'm so neurotic when it comes to things like this. I kind of decided to do this as a last minute thing, to kind of snap me out of the constantly worrying and planning persona that I have; it seems that didn't work. Maybe I'll be better when I get back. I always think 'what if I miss out on seeing something because I didn't plan it?' or 'what if I get stranded with no money?'. It really puts a dampener on the whole thing. My last time overseas it took me almost a week to get used to it and relax.

Originally posted by zmcnulty View Post
                Put off the trip until you can save more money. You're looking at ~5500 yen per day after the room. Even eating cheap you've got what, 3000 yen left for transport/tourist/fun stuff? Unless your idea of fun is simply walking around the city, you won't be able to enjoy yourself. Hanging out with other random hostelers is only so fun.

As for the girl. Give some thought to how you'll pull that off. Unless you speak decent Japanese, or you're experienced in the arts & charming, you have zero/near-zero chance of getting a girl outside of Minato-ku. Let's say you go out at night there... when most people do. That can get expensive, budget 1000 yen per drink at a bar that actually has girls. Highly unlikely any of them will leave with you while trains are still running, so there's the cab ride from Roppongi to wherever you're staying that night. And they won't want to go to a hostel. So you're likely a >2000 yen cab ride to somewhere else (Gotanda? Shibuya? Shimbashi?) + 7000 yen for a cheap room (5000 yen is really aggressive... even Uguisudani isn't that cheap for a stayover).

If you really can't put the trip off, looking at your ambitions solely from a budget perspective, either of the following is more realistic:
                a) Being aggressive on the street, approach girls during the daytime. On the street, note it's somewhat illegal and you may get complaints/police trouble if you're blatant. So try the "lost gaijin" thing a few times in one place, then keep moving. Starbucks and cafes are always popular too. YMMV.
                b) Consider some dating websites if you'll be here for a month. Some girls work alternative schedules/not at all, with days off on Tuesdays for example. Nurses make easy targets since night shift ends 8-9AM, they want to have a good time after work, and they frequently speak passable English.

With either option you don't necessarily need to worry about taxi fares or alcohol, and hotels are more affordable during day time hours. If the stars align she might even let you go to her place, pay, or be willing to split the bill.
                Walking around the city would actually be pretty fun. A lot of the things that I want to do would be free, but I see where you're coming from. I can't really put it off because I have a lot of commitments starting next year through to 2016/2017. So I really kind of have to do it before Christmas. Flights are already booked and paid for as well. I may be able to round up some more cash before I leave though; hoping so anyway.

Yeah I'm starting to reconsider the idea of going out, especially with your information there. I've never really been too big on it anyway. At the most I'll probably just go out for a few cheap beers on my birthday.

To be honest the idea of approaching women during the day absolutely terrifies me haha. But I'm only young once I guess. Thanks for all the help; I'll be looking into the dating sites as well. At the very least you've saved me from going out on my first Friday there and blowing half of my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by zmcnulty View Post
                  As for the girl. Give some thought to how you'll pull that off. Unless you speak decent Japanese, or you're experienced in the arts & charming, you have zero/near-zero chance of getting a girl outside of Minato-ku.
                  Forgot to address this. As my Japanese is poor (hopefully it'll improve before I get there, it'll still be pretty bad though) and I'm pretty inexperienced in the art of charming. What's the deal with Minato? Is it generally a good place to meet people or are you just referring to the Roppongi nightlife?

Comment

Roppongi is in Minato-ku, so yeah, I meant both. I just said "Minato-ku" because I wanted to include Juban, Nishi-Azabu, Aoyama... all of which have plenty of bars and clubs with a comparatively international crowd.

Comment

It's a curse, it really is. I'm so neurotic when it comes to things like this. I kind of decided to do this as a last minute thing, to kind of snap me out of the constantly worrying and planning persona that I have; it seems that didn't work. Maybe I'll be better when I get back. I always think 'what if I miss out on seeing something because I didn't plan it?' or 'what if I get stranded with no money?'.
                      It's not going to magically fix yourself. You have a broken synapse, a mental defect. Your way of thinking is not normal. These things do not work themselves out, you have to fix them.

Worrying over crap like this is worthless. You worry about missing something because you didn't plan, well what if you miss out on buying a million dollar lottery ticket because you DID plan (ie - you would have bought the ticket had you not had a plan). So now you are screwed no matter which way you go - or the more healthy way to look at is that your life is your life regardless of which path you take, and worrying so much about it makes you a pansy.

Comment

So... you are coming to Japan to get laid? That's an awfully expensive sexual experience, and that OP makes you sounds super lame and desperate. How old are you? (If you are a teenager, you get a pass).

On the bright side, if you dress in drag, there's plenty of creepy salarymen who might grope you for free on the train.

But really, if you're looking for a lay, you might want to take her to a love hotel anyways, so does it really matter where you stay?

Comment

When are you going on your trip?

Comment

My suggestions:

A. Costly- think about 70,000-100,000 yen for a month.

Rent an apartment for a month- like a furnished Leopalace, in Kanagawa or Saitama. You can take any chicks there and do any cooking. I've done this before and it was about 90,000 yen in Kanagawa incl the month + cleaning deposit but I wasn't shopping around since I was splitting the cost with another person. It was also a fairly newer place.

Pros being it's basically like your own pad so you can do as you please, come and go anytime. Cons being it's the most expensive option (besides doing every night at a real hotel) and that you'll have a bit of a commute into the city. You also might need some Japanese help if the place doesn't have English speaking staff.

B. Semi-cheap- Hostel

Asakusa has a lot of cheap ones and you're not too far from it all. You can usually get a good discount for a month's stay. Private rooms usually aren't that expensive if you're okay with communal bathrooms/shower. Small, but gets the job done. Staff can often be helpful for recommending things to do and getting around, as well as other general questions. I've done this for two weeks while waiting to move into a place when I first made the permanent move here.

Cons that you have to stick it out the time of stay or risk losing money, and that it offers less room to travel unless you have it all planned out before hand. Pros being you have basics (usually including a fridge/TV) and a place to store your stuff. If it's a bigger hostel you might be able to sneak in a girl unnoticed but honestly not sure about a Japanese girl going for that.

C. Cheap- Think about 1,500-2,000 a night

Internet Cafe. Tokyo has many nice ones. All you can drink/ice cream/popcorn/etc. You can even order dinner/breakfast there for a reasonable price. Extra for a shower, but only like 400 yen if you bring your own towel and some travel size toiletries from the combini or home. You can get towels/toiletries there, but they cost extra money. I have done this for a week before. It's a good option if you're packing light, but depending on the place they might let you keep your suitcase at the front if it's not too big. You can hit up a coin laundry for washing. This leaves room for love hotel expense. This also gives you flexibility as every major city has internet cafes.

IF you are going for this and plan to stay in the Tokyo area I would choose Ikebukuro or Shibuya. Ikebukuro has cheap love hotels (of varying quality) while Shibuya has very nice, reasonable love hotels esp on weekdays. Either way 5,000 yen isn't going to get you one you'd want to take a girl to more than a "rest" unless it's a weekday and you get lucky. Think 6,000-8,000 weekday (can be higher depending on quality) and 10,000-16,000 on the weekend (I'd say avgs out at 12,000 from experience) Avoid Shinjuku for love hotels... usually expensive even on weekdays and not anything spectacular. Roppongi doesn't have many love hotels from what I remember, and what it does have regular or love, you'll be paying through the nose.
                            Last edited by mizutama; 2013-08-20, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X