Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Yamanote Halloween 2009

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamanote Halloween 2009

Its time we got this started. Its a Saturday this time around so almost nothing to discuss, but nonetheless:

Date/Time: Sat. October 31, 2009 from 21-ish
    Meetup Place: Shinjuku Station, Yamanote platform #15 (towards Ikebukuro)
    Train to board: 21:06 soto-mawari (North-bound)

Gather towards the back of the train, by the stairs that come down from the South exit. Train car 9 sounds like a good one to board.

See you all there. And, of course, BYOB.

why don't you pr1cks grow up?

Comment

Originally posted by ben ali View Post
      why don't you pr1cks grow up?
      Why don't you grow a pr!ck?

Comment

OP: Really, all information about the Yamanote Halloween Party should be written in pig-Latin - just to ____ with the 2channers.

aceplay: injukushay ationstay
        imetay: omfray alfhay astpay inenay

you get the idea...

Comment

Originally posted by akahebi View Post
          Why don't you grow a pr!ck?
          I was gonna Yell at the kids from my porch also but seeing the kids thoroughly making an A$$ of themselves is kinda fun.

Comment

this sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by usa4kabukicho View Post
              Its time we got this started. Its a Saturday this time around so almost nothing to discuss, but nonetheless:

Date/Time: Sat. October 31, 2009 from 21-ish
              Meetup Place: Shinjuku Station, Yamanote platform #15 (towards Ikebukuro)
              Train to board: 21:06 soto-mawari (North-bound)

Gather towards the back of the train, by the stairs that come down from the South exit. Train car 9 sounds like a good one to board.

See you all there. And, of course, BYOB.
              And you can rest assured that the j-police already know about it and will also see you there.

Comment

Why do people insist on doing this when the J-police have explicity forbidden it? It just creates the impression that foreigners in Japan have no respect for the laws here and continues to propogate negative stereotypes about disrespectful gaijin.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatomato View Post
                  Why do people insist on doing this when the J-police have explicity forbidden it? It just creates the impression that foreigners in Japan have no respect for the laws here and continues to propogate negative stereotypes about disrespectful gaijin.
                  Wait a sec... the J-police have *forbidden* it?? You mean, like they are banning foreigners from wearing costumes and riding the train? Police enforce laws - they don't make them. You sure about this?

Comment

I think it's grossly excessive displays of public drunkenness, the vomiting and so on that the police are more concerned about, perhaps?

Comment

Wait a sec... the J-police have *forbidden* it?? You mean, like they are banning foreigners from wearing costumes and riding the train? Police enforce laws - they don't make them. You sure about this?
                      I must agree. I read that last year the undercover cops followed the foreign crowd around, even after they got off, because of the death-threats (on 2-channel) towards people participating in the festivities.
                      There were some photos of those cops.

Whether they were there to actually gauge the angry nerds of 2-channel, or there to be on the lookout for any possible drugs the pesky foreigners might be carrying, doesn't really matter. They didn't arrest/stop the celebration/drunkenness.

That's not to say JR staff might.

Comment

I think the problem is not wearing costumes but, as Nick said, the drinking, puking, shouting and general level of mayhem and disruption caused. Of course the trains are owned by the train company and it is within their rights to ask the police to prevent their property being used as a venue for a boozarama. You would think people might just respect their wishes and have a party somewhere else but its just another case of some gaijin just doing what they want and playing the victim when they are asked not to.

Never mind the fact that the authorities in almost any other country would clamp down on turning the public transport intoa party venue for the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatomato View Post

I think the problem is not wearing costumes but, as Nick said, the drinking, puking, shouting and general level of mayhem and disruption caused. Of course the trains are owned by the train company and it is within their rights to ask the police to prevent their property being used as a venue for a boozarama.
                          And JR is probably not amused by the associated costs of disrupted train schedules and cleaning up the mess. But hey, we're gaijin and this is how we have fun, so who cares?

It sure would be fun to see what would happen to these party-goers if they tried this kind of thing in Moscow or Beijing.

Comment

Originally posted by apeman View Post
                            And JR is probably not amused by the associated costs of disrupted train schedules and cleaning up the mess. But hey, we're gaijin and this is how we have fun, so who cares?

It sure would be fun to see what would happen to these party-goers if they tried this kind of thing in Moscow or Beijing.
                            I think you're missing the point. It's because it is Japan that this happens. It's the land of cos-play, the land of ignore-the-other-people-on-the-train-no-matter-what-so-let's-take-advantage-of-that-and-poke-fun-at-them-at-the-same-time. It's because Japanese tend to freak out and many foreigners get a kick out of that.

As long as people do not interfere with the operation of the train, or harass other passengers, the only thing I can think of that the police could complain about is public drunkeness - if that's a crime in Japan. I imagine that any of the following activities, while annoying to some, would not (er, should not) be subject one to any kind of problems with the authorities:
                            1) wearing a costume on the train (have you seen some of the Japanese??)
                            2) boarding and exiting trains in large numbers (nothing new there)
                            3) singing (Dunno if it happens on the Yamanote Halloween train, but where there's alcohol...) (it's like karaoke. on wheels)
                            4) talking loudly (ever heard someone on a cell phone?)
                            5) sharing booze (who would complain?)
                            6) talking to strangers (it's the gaijin way! We're here to make friends!)
                            7) dancing (as long as the costumes stay on...)
                            8) photos and videos (as long as the cameras are not below the knees and pointed upwards, I see no problems)

I'm sure there is more.

Comment

I think you're missing the point. It's because it is Japan that this happens. It's the land of cos-play, the land of ignore-the-other-people-on-the-train-no-matter-what-so-let's-take-advantage-of-that-and-poke-fun-at-them-at-the-same-time.
                              Well they are not "ignoring people no matter what". They are requesting that you don't do it.

It's because Japanese tend to freak out and many foreigners get a kick out of that.
                              Japanese tend to freak out? But I thought they just ignored people no matter what. Your justification is not very convincing.

As long as people do not interfere with the operation of the train, or harass other passengers, the only thing I can think of that the police could complain about is public drunkeness - if that's a crime in Japan.
                              I don't think it is really for you to decide what the authorities and train companies "could complain about". Clearly, they don't want this activity to take place and I think that you should respect their wishes. This isn't a two-way discussion where you get to have an equal say on how JR choose to run their train services.

Just out of curiosity, I don't know where you are from but how would things go down if hundreds of foreigners in your hometown decided they were going to go ahead with a public gathering aiming to "poke fun at" and "freak out" the locals after the authorities had repeatedly, expressly warned against such a gathering taking place?

I think I know how that would go down where I am from.

Comment

Working...
                              X