Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How to find out about sit down fees?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxymoron View Post
    My wife and I went to the same Izakaya (Ikkyu) every Friday night for 7 years (because we could easily walk home from there).
    We were charged around 300 yen each for a small appetizer. This was well and truly offset by the two or three free dishes we used to get as a "please try" from the kitchen, organizes by the "Mama-san", who was a lovely middle aged lady, who never forgot our anniversay or birthdays with free drinks. She also always kept our regular table for us each week and stocked my favouite nihonshu for me.
    In return, we used to regularly give her small gifts.
    Always a great, reasonably priced, night out.
    It's nice to hear. I imagine it would be better if it were a place you frequented.

Living in the city, I have this image that the izakayas are all out to get my hard earned cash, morals be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
      I suppose part of it is to prevent people from spending a long time there without ordering much - they have to make money, but focus on selling what people actually want - not a forced menu.
      so you say its OK to charge people to sit down in a restaurant, take up space and not order anything? Is it like a kind of rental charge?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        so you say its OK to charge people to sit down in a restaurant, take up space and not order anything? Is it like a kind of rental charge?
        Of course it it is. Imagine you have a coffee shop with a limited number of chairs, and some people buy one cup of coffee and sit there for hours chatting with their friends. Meanwhile, other potential patrons don't buy because there isn't anywhere to sit.

Have you ever wondered why popular and successful coffee shops have really uncomfortable chairs? It's called business.

Comment

Working...
        X