Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

All the negatives about moving/living/working in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All the negatives about moving/living/working in Japan

    Just going to keep this short, but really the name says it all. Just give every bad thing about being in Japan, I want to fully know what I may be getting in to. It would also help if you told me how long you have been there and if not at all then say that also.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Peanut butter is hard to find.

    Also, earthquakes happen pretty frequently.

    Otherwise it's pretty nice.

    edit: I've never been to Japan, except the 4 times I've been

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ghoro
      Just going to keep this short, but really the name says it all. Just give every bad thing about being in Japan, I want to fully know what I may be getting in to. It would also help if you told me how long you have been there and if not at all then say that also.

      Thanks
      Length of stay in Japan: 13 years in total between 1990 to present day

      Negative stuff about Japan: Foreigners complaining about Japan

      Comment


      • #4
        I was some what hoping for more answers :-p I think the problem is that I asked for the bad, where I should have just said things like this is my dream and if any one killed my dream of Japan I would probably suffocate my self with a plastic WalMart bag.

        Or this must mean that Japan is the holy land . . . other then it’s hard to find Peanut butter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Since1990
          Length of stay in Japan: 13 years in total between 1990 to present day

          Negative stuff about Japan: Foreigners complaining about Japan
          Gotta be the greatest thing I've ever read on this site.

          A greatful member of gaijinpot thanks you!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Since1990
            Length of stay in Japan: 13 years in total between 1990 to present day

            Negative stuff about Japan: Foreigners complaining about Japan
            Yeah its not like you don't know how the Japanese are, if people hate it so much why do they stay?

            Comment


            • #7
              Been living in Japan for 3 years.

              Negative things?
              Cold apartment in winter.
              Door to door salesmen (not so bad, but if I'm busy, they just won't give up on ringing my doorbell!).
              Deodorant isn't as strong as in North America.
              Old people staring at me (actually, this doesn't happen often, and I just ignore it).
              Inefficient bank procedures.
              People who try to use you as support on a crowded train (one guy just leaned back against me while I was standing on the train).
              All the extra packaging within packaging within packaging. All wrapped in plastic.
              Mayonnaise (sorry, I really don't need it on everything...and why is it on beef stew in Family Mart???? I hate mayo).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Since1990
                Length of stay in Japan: 13 years in total between 1990 to present day

                Negative stuff about Japan: Foreigners complaining about Japan
                I was just thinking the same thing.

                I would add to that: Foreigners applying criticisms specifically to the Japanese, when they really should be general.

                Example: people complaining that Japanese young people are feckless, vapid, childish. No, that's just young people GENERALLY, stupid.

                Or: Japanese people are ignorant about foreign countries. No, again, that's just people in general. Pluck your average Brit or North American or Australian off the street and ask them who the Prime Minister of Japan is or what language family Vietnamese belongs to, and you'll see what happens.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the help so far. So far nothing has been said that is a deal breaker. I think my question may have been too broad also. Well I guess I will give my plan as of now.

                  I have my 2 year degree in computer science with a focus on computer programming and I’m working for now. The plan I’m thinking of doing is in the fall to go to a Japanese school in Japan for 2 years and soon I’m going to be getting tutoring for about 1 hour or 2 hours 2 times a week. After the Japanese school I was thinking that I would continue college in Japan, but now after reading about college in Japan on this forum now I don’t know if that is a good idea. Then after that see about working in Japan with programming. But after just reading this forum I have started to doubt the idea of moving to Japan. That’s why I want to find out all the negatives now to really see what I may get in to.

                  So what do you guys think about this plan? Also just to start what is the difference if any from working in Japan compared to America? What are the hours like?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zmcnulty
                    edit: I've never been to Japan, except the 4 times I've been


                    You taught English here?


                    Seriously, OP not worth it coming to Japan, its got first world technology but a third world mindset.

                    You'll just be wasting your time like the rest of us.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ultraa4
                      Gotta be the greatest thing I've ever read on this site.

                      A greatful member of gaijinpot thanks you!!!!
                      I could care less but would you please change your avatar.

                      She is hideous.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cutyourhair
                        I could care less but would you please change your avatar.

                        She is hideous.
                        And yours is like... too small (the avatar I mean).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cutyourhair


                          You taught English here?


                          Seriously, OP not worth it coming to Japan, its got first world technology but a third world mindset.

                          You'll just be wasting your time like the rest of us.
                          You're funny. Maybe you're wasting your time, but I'm not. I'd say to the OP to come here with an open mind.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How young are you

                            Originally posted by Ghoro
                            Thanks for the help so far. So far nothing has been said that is a deal breaker. I think my question may have been too broad also. Well I guess I will give my plan as of now.

                            I have my 2 year degree in computer science with a focus on computer programming and I’m working for now. The plan I’m thinking of doing is in the fall to go to a Japanese school in Japan for 2 years and soon I’m going to be getting tutoring for about 1 hour or 2 hours 2 times a week. After the Japanese school I was thinking that I would continue college in Japan, but now after reading about college in Japan on this forum now I don’t know if that is a good idea. Then after that see about working in Japan with programming. But after just reading this forum I have started to doubt the idea of moving to Japan. That’s why I want to find out all the negatives now to really see what I may get in to.

                            So what do you guys think about this plan? Also just to start what is the difference if any from working in Japan compared to America? What are the hours like?

                            Thanks

                            If you're under the age of 25, then I say keep an open mind and plant a foot on Japanese soil... Otherwise, your foot will wilt... Keep your studies going...


                            On the other hand, a Japanese college degree would give you higher preference for a Japanese company compared to a foreignor without experience from any Japanese school...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              People who've been here a long time sometimes get cynical and whiny. I put that down to being unwilling to change. A country isn't going to change to suit you, but you can change to fit in with a country - and most complaints always seem to boil down, in the end, to 'Why can't Japan be more like it is back home?' Answer: it isn't. Deal with it or ____ off.

                              Japan is a good place to live in many respects. There are bad things about it too, like there are anywhere else, but I think on balance the good outweighs the bad here.

                              So I think you should probably have asked what the positives are, rather than the negatives. Don't look for reasons not to come - look for reasons TO come, and you'll find there are a lot more.

                              EDIT: I've been here for four years.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X