Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Coming to Japan a bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Japan a bad idea?

Fist of all, I love Japan with all the goods and bads. I've been there on vacations many times now and I'm confident (or at least, I was) that this is where I'd like to live for a while.

But there's always a but.
    Terrible economy and a miserable chance of getting a job are pretty scary, but what scares me more is the fact that no one knows how deep this nuclear incident really goes. Everyone is just pretending that nothing happened at all, government and TEPCO are keeping everyone in the dark (and probably don't know much themselves), while melted nuclear cores are probably making their way in the ground and it's only a matter of time before they hit water table. No one knows how this will affect the country in the next several years.

Considering the fact that Japanese economy is in the toilet coupled with the fact that no one really knows how bad Fukushima really is, is coming to Japan just a really bad idea at this time?

Some people are ignoring the incident as if it never happened, while others are claiming that half the population will get cancer in the following decade.

I'd love nothing more than to live in Japan, but everything taken into consideration, the whole prospect does seem pretty grim these days.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 2011-12-07, 05:42 PM.

Originally posted by Golden Boy View Post
    ...Thoughts?
    Yes - I'd stay away if I were you - as your understanding of what is happening is just so far off base that it suggests to me that you are only marginally processing information and dealing with reality. You will be better off in your current safety blanket - whatever that is.

Comment

Its a bit like saying dont go to England because Portsmouth had a meltdown. the exclusion zone around the reactors is about 30 km which is about 20 miles where no one can go in or out of the area.

Japan is a big country, Nara and Kansai and Kyushu are a long way from any nuclear danger (unless one of the other ten operational reactors decides to blow up) so its safe to travel in most of the country even in Fukushima, all except the worst parts.

Melted cores would have to melt through solid concrete before it could get to the water table. I would worry more about the millions of tons of contaminated sea water that has been leaked into the ocean.

I think you have been watching too much CNN. BBC or whatever apocalypse-predicting TV show you happen to be watching at this time.

Comment

Fist of all, I love Japan with all the goods and bads. I've been there on vacations many times now and I'm confident (or at least, I was) that this is where I'd like to live for a while.

Terrible economy and a miserable chance of getting a job are pretty scary, but what scares me more is the fact that no one knows how deep this nuclear incident really goes. Everyone is just pretending that nothing happened at all, government and TEPCO are keeping everyone in the dark (and probably don't know much themselves), while melted nuclear cores are probably making their way in the ground and it's only a matter of time before they hit water table. No one knows how this will affect the country in the next several years.

Considering the fact that Japanese economy is in the toilet coupled with the fact that no one really knows how bad Fukushima really is, is coming to Japan just a really bad idea at this time?

Some people are ignoring the incident as if it never happened, while others are claiming that half the population will get cancer in the following decade.

I'd love nothing more than to live in Japan, but everything taken into consideration, the whole prospect does seem pretty grim these days.

Thoughts?
        I think, in your case, most of the damage has already been done.

Comment

Well, what are you coming for ?

I'd stay away unless you have a lucrative deal in a very good area, with a lot of perks in the job. In other words.....no.

Comment

@Ben:
            It's not so much direct radiation that worries me, it's the one that affects food and water. Oh well. Only time will tell.

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
            I think, in your case, most of the damage has already been done.
            If you are an indicator of how radiation affects people, then it's better to stay away. However, if I need any advice regarding dealing with permanent brain damage, I'll be sure to contact you.

Well, what are you coming for ?

I'd stay away unless you have a lucrative deal in a very good area, with a lot of perks in the job. In other words.....no.
            Just for fun. I'm not happy where I live right now and I've always had a thing for Japan, so...

Comment

@Ben:
              It's not so much direct radiation that worries me, it's the one that affects food and water. Oh well. Only time will tell.

If you are an indicator of how radiation affects people, then it's better to stay away. However, if I need any advice regarding dealing with permanent brain damage, I'll be sure to contact you.

Just for fun. I'm not happy where I live right now and I've always had a thing for Japan, so...
              Good luck with that fun. Isn't there a place to have fun where the locals smile a little, dance a little and there's live music, wine flowing and dancing in the streets. Are you in Europe?

Comment

@Ben:

Well that settles it then - if it is for fun, by all means do come on over. Do it quickly - so you can take advantage of the onsens - some of which I hear have been created new - from those melted cores hitting the water table. As for the food - do what I do, and just don't eat.

Comment

Quit fiddlefaddling and just come over.

You can always go home again.

Can you get a working holiday visa from that mysterious European country you come from?

Get one....and come.

BTW, KB, in his cholic way, does have a point: far too many posters talk about going to Japan, ask questions about Japan, and then later make it obvious they are only talking about Tokyo.

Now, aside from the fact that Tokyo is a festering shiithole in most ways, and on most days, the inability to distinguish the difference is aggravating, and the reverse metonym intellectually repulsive.

Somebody of your obvious intelligence can recognise, that, surely.

Finally, if that sort of stuff does worry you, and you don't want it to ruin your enjoyment, go somewhere west of the Gifu line.

Why not try Fukuoka??? Apparently, it is a lovely place, with lots of good people.

Comment

[QUOTE=

Why not try Fukuoka??? Apparently, it is a lovely place, with lots of good people.[/QUOTE]

I'd vouch for Fukuoka. Had a long distance relationship there and wish I had stayed. Went back for a wedding last year, and it still seems the most liveable big city in the country, with Sapporo running close. Fukuoka has a more sophisticated feel and offers entry to the warmer climes of Okinawa and Kagoshima (when the volcano isnt spewing sulphur into the city) .

Still though, if the lad is from Europe wouldnt there be more fun to be had in Spain or Slovenia?

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan's nuts View Post
                      Isn't there a place to have fun where the locals smile a little, dance a little and there's live music, wine flowing and dancing in the streets. Are you in Europe?
                      Yes I am. The place you're describing sure ain't here. I live in an ex-communist cesspool of a country that is in a state of permanent depression. Every time I go to Japan I feel like a dead man coming back to life. If Japan is bad, you haven't been here.

If you know of any such place like the one you've described above, feel free to tell

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                      Quit fiddlefaddling and just come over.

You can always go home again.

Can you get a working holiday visa from that mysterious European country you come from?

Get one....and come.

BTW, KB, in his cholic way, does have a point: far too many posters talk about going to Japan, ask questions about Japan, and then later make it obvious they are only talking about Tokyo.

Now, aside from the fact that Tokyo is a festering shiithole in most ways, and on most days, the inability to distinguish the difference is aggravating, and the reverse metonym intellectually repulsive.

Somebody of your obvious intelligence can recognise, that, surely.

Finally, if that sort of stuff does worry you, and you don't want it to ruin your enjoyment, go somewhere west of the Gifu line.

Why not try Fukuoka??? Apparently, it is a lovely place, with lots of good people.
                      Thanks for the advice.

I can't get a working holiday visa, my country doesn't seem to have that kind of arrangement with J-land (I'm from Croatia). The best I can get is a 90 day tourist visa which I was going to use for jobhunting.

And yes, I apologize for not being more clear on where in Japan I'd like to go, I was in fact talking about Tokyo. I'm in IT and finding an IT job outside of Tokyo would probably require enormous effort. Considering the fact that my Japanese is somewhat basic and will only get conversational by the time I get there, I'm not in a good position to be overly demanding.

Well, I'll still probably come to Japan. At worst I'll lose some money but have a nice vacation in return. Or perhaps get cancer.

Still though, if the lad is from Europe wouldnt there be more fun to be had in Spain or Slovenia?
                      I live less than 10 minutes from Slovenia. I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that these SE European countries are fun. I've been living here for nearly 25 years and I can vouch for the fact that they're all sh1tholes. Well, if you're content with working for subpar money all your life and getting married at an early age, then they're alright, no doubt. For having a blast though... not so much.

Comment

[QUOTE=Golden . Well, if you're content with working for subpar money all your life and getting married at an early age, then they're alright, no doubt. For having a blast though... not so much.[/QUOTE]

Well, come then, but for gods sake don't get anyone pregnant and get married, because then all the lovely freedom will vanish and It will be worse than all the sh1tholes in Europe combined.

I'll give you the ten commandments on enjoying life in Japan once you get here.

You have some cash socked away I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan's nuts View Post
                          Well, come then, but for gods sake don't get anyone pregnant and get married, because then all the lovely freedom will vanish and It will be worse than all the sh1tholes in Europe combined.
                          Yeah, I won't. I have no plans of doing anything like that in the next 10 years or so. I've only once had a pregnancy scare and it was with a local white chick when I was an irresponsible dip____. Not gonna happen again.

You have some cash socked away I expect.
                          Yeah, considering that I've been stashing most of my income away for years now. Not that I had anything to spend it on here.

The only question that remains is whether I'll find a job or not. I've heard that gaijin on tourist visas with mediocre Japanese skills aren't really the employers' first choice.

Comment

The only question that remains is whether I'll find a job or not. I've heard that gaijin on tourist visas with mediocre Japanese skills aren't really the employers' first choice.
                            Probably because its illegal to hire tourists. DUH.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                              Probably because its illegal to hire tourists. DUH.
                              They can still choose to sponsor you, regardless of your visa status. The question is, whether they want to.

Comment

Working...
                              X