Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Should I move to Japan?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrScott1337 View Post
    So let me get this straight. Japan expects people to put all this work into learning their language, observing their customs and culture, saving up loads of money, getting a visa with a sponsorship, finding a job and paying out of their arse for accommodation to get exactly what in return?

No one is making you come here. If you dont like it stay at home. It would be the same if I immigrated to Wales and wanted to look for a job. I would be expected to learn Welsh and learn the customs.

Crappy flats? People who wont ever get close to you? A government that wont do anything? Sky high living costs? Discrimination? You talk of this as if its totally acceptable.
    The good points far outweigh the bad which is why most of us choose to put up with stuff. Im sure there is bad stuff about living in Cardiff too if I sought it out.

I never expected Japan to cater to my culture or lifestyle but Im not going to put all that hard work in to trying to live in Japan just so I can become a robotic drone like the rest of Japanese society. Its like making a huge investment and not getting a good return on it.
    Your mind is already made up before setting foot here. All I can say is you are setting yourself up for a fall if you are that stubborn and prejudiced in your views.

I can have a better standard of life in my own country and have the ability to interact with actual human individuals, so why would I ever give that up for something that is, in every respect, worse than what I currently have or could obtain in any other country?
    Its a free country. So why are you asking whether you should move here. You are obviously not interested in learning about other cultures. The second corollary of that is you consider Welsh (your own) culture to be superior to Japan that you wont consider changing for them. You wont change for anybody, My culture is better, more superior.

People travel so they can experience the world, see different countries, learn about different lifetstyles and eat different food. If you are that closed minded that you would rather stay home and sit in front of the TV and watch a football match or go to the local for a pint then nothing anyone can say here will change your mind.

I am so glad I haven't made any commitments to traveling to Japan because I definitely will not be going there.
    Thank you members of Gaijin Pot for opening my eyes to the real Japan. You've seriously done me a huge favour.
    Idiot.

Upsides of living here

Small compact country, easy to get around
    Clean. No graffiti on trains.
    Trains run on time, like clockwork
    Vending machines everywhere (good or bad depends on POV)
    people are hospitable and polite to foreigners and visitors
    Pretty amazing history going back 1300 years.
    Great food and a variety, Not like English food.
    Internet, cable TV, English newspapers and many foreigners around.

Downsides

Cost of living high, expensive to live here.
    High taxation
    Japanese can be insular and parochial, same as people anywhere in small towns.
    For many a formidable language barrier, especially written language
    Huge bureaucracy. Takes a long time to get things done.
    Far from European countries and "civilisation". China is next door though.
    Hard to make real friends. Lots of drinking buddies and acquaintances though.
    Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-08-09, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Been here 26 years:

a few upsides:
      can live cheaper here than in UK (because I don't need a car)
      almost no perceptible crime (Twice in the last year I lost cards on the train -- got them back both times. Conclusions: lost property management is efficient, there are lots of honest folks (and I should stop losing cards :-))
      big cities are near big-ish mountains, rivers, etc. if you like outdoors
      you get *real* summer here (OK that might be a downside)
      you most probably wont get overweight here
      good health care system (although compulsory health insurance payments are expensive if you're young, single and healthy)

a few downsides
      youre always a "visitor" (i.e., even after 25 years you're asked "So when are you going home?")
      you have to avoid conflict with locals because it's their country (no matter how long you're here or who is in the right)
      if you get fluent in Japanese, you'll still be used as English-conversation-fodder (unless you have an Asian face)
      your kids end up becoming Japanese (if you have kids and your employer doesnt pay for international school)
      longterm pension situation is uncertain
      you cant just pop in on friends if youre in their neighbourhood - meetings and visits are always arranged and planned waaay beforehand
      if you dont have a car, you cant just take off somewhere without planning
      everyone takes holidays at the same time, so it's expensive and crowded

If you want to work in technical area, you might read book by English guy about working/assimilating/living here "Blue-Eyed Salaryman" - some humour, some insights, especially near the end.
      Last edited by minamon; 2012-08-09, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minamon View Post
        if you get fluent in Japanese, you'll still be used as English-conversation-fodder (unless you have an Asian face).
        I just posted in another thread that I don't see this myself. I have only been here half as long as you, but I almost never get used for English-convo practice these days. It's been at least a few months since it last happened to me.

Comment

Again these questions have been asked and answered before.search through some of the threads. I would suggest(if it is possible for you), to come here on a tourist permission. This would give you an idea of what it is like. You may find it doesn't fit you. Wanting to live in Japan and actually living in Japan are two separate things.

Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
            I just posted in another thread that I don't see this myself. I have only been here half as long as you, but I almost never get used for English-convo practice these days. It's been at least a few months since it last happened to me.
            Maybe I should have said "you will sometimes be used for English practice"
            It depends on where you hang out.

Comment

That makes sense. These days I don't go many places that are places I haven't been before. And I only go to gaijin bars once a year or so. And even so, you're right, I still get hit up by people wanting English practice at times.

Comment

the Japanese are a stoic bunch and are not prone to whining
                what about the women?

The upside of living in Japan is being able to meet loads of cute women. That's why everyone really wants to be there and can't bring themself to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by MrScott1337 View Post
                  30 Views yet no replies?

Surely someone has some experience of living in Japan?
                  Some experience. Great tail, fine ales..what more does a young lad need?

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                    These days I don't go many places that are places I haven't been before.
                    Lot of places there but based on your post count alone, GP seems to be your fav place.
                    Uncertain as to whether you can offer reliable advice to the OP on this matter. You really should get out more.
                    Last edited by ozzijp; 2012-08-09, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      No one is making you come here. If you dont like it stay at home. It would be the same if I immigrated to Wales and wanted to look for a job. I would be expected to learn Welsh and learn the customs.

The good points far outweigh the bad which is why most of us choose to put up with stuff. Im sure there is bad stuff about living in Cardiff too if I sought it out.

Your mind is already made up before setting foot here. All I can say is you are setting yourself up for a fall if you are that stubborn and prejudiced in your views.

Its a free country. So why are you asking whether you should move here. You are obviously not interested in learning about other cultures. The second corollary of that is you consider Welsh (your own) culture to be superior to Japan that you wont consider changing for them. You wont change for anybody, My culture is better, more superior.

People travel so they can experience the world, see different countries, learn about different lifetstyles and eat different food. If you are that closed minded that you would rather stay home and sit in front of the TV and watch a football match or go to the local for a pint then nothing anyone can say here will change your mind.

Idiot.

Upsides of living here

Small compact country, easy to get around
                      Clean. No graffiti on trains.
                      Trains run on time, like clockwork
                      Vending machines everywhere (good or bad depends on POV)
                      people are hospitable and polite to foreigners and visitors
                      Pretty amazing history going back 1300 years.
                      Great food and a variety, Not like English food.
                      Internet, cable TV, English newspapers and many foreigners around.

Downsides

Cost of living high, expensive to live here.
                      High taxation
                      Japanese can be insular and parochial, same as people anywhere in small towns.
                      For many a formidable language barrier, especially written language
                      Huge bureaucracy. Takes a long time to get things done.
                      Far from European countries and "civilisation". China is next door though.
                      Hard to make real friends. Lots of drinking buddies and acquaintances though.
                      A simple... Yes... Might have sufficed KB.

Comment

I think you can judge the level of intelligence/wordly experience of many of the posters on this thread by the fact that they actually think Wales is a country.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
                          I think you can judge the level of intelligence/wordly experience of many of the posters on this thread by the fact that they actually think Wales is a country.

Just don't call them English, OK? Someone is talking out their butt-hole tonight.

Wales i/ˈweɪlz/ is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain, bordered by England to its east and the Atlantic Ocean and Irish Sea to its west. It had a population in 2011 of 3,064,000, and has a total area of 20,779 km2 (8,023 sq mi). Wales has over 1,200 km (750 mi) of coastline, and is largely mountainous, with its highest peaks in the north and central areas, including Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa), its highest summit. The country lies within the north temperate zone, and has a changeable, maritime climate.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            Just don't call them English, OK? Someone is talking out their butt-hole tonight.

Wales i/ˈweɪlz/ is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain, bordered by England to its east and the Atlantic Ocean and Irish Sea to its west. It had a population in 2011 of 3,064,000, and has a total area of 20,779 km2 (8,023 sq mi). Wales has over 1,200 km (750 mi) of coastline, and is largely mountainous, with its highest peaks in the north and central areas, including Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa), its highest summit. The country lies within the north temperate zone, and has a changeable, maritime climate.
                            Oops, there's the verbal diarrhea thing again KB!

But you are, in this case, dead right.

By the way, is you avatar picture impersonating a Welshman?
                            Last edited by Jakebullet; 2012-08-10, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Of course Wales is technically a country. But it's not a real country.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
                                Of course Wales is technically a country. But it's not a real country.
                                I am willing to bet a million yen, that you'd never say that in a room full of men from Wales, and walk out with all your teeth!

Comment

Working...
                                X