Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Coming back to Japan over 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back to Japan over 40

Interested to hear your experiences.

Looks like I'll have 2 more years here, and once current contract is over, wife wants to return to Japan.

Have lived in Tokyo and worked there for foreign companies, so I do know how life is, but was wondering what experiences people here may have had, particularly as regards looking for work. Ideally I am looking for people 40 plus to comment.

I do speak Japanese and I certainly do not want to lower myself to English teaching.

Originally posted by 帰国しました View Post
    Interested to hear your experiences.

Looks like I'll have 2 more years here, and once current contract is over, wife wants to return to Japan.

Have lived in Tokyo and worked there for foreign companies, so I do know how life is, but was wondering what experiences people here may have had, particularly as regards looking for work. Ideally I am looking for people 40 plus to comment.

I do speak Japanese and I certainly do not want to lower myself to English teaching.

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
      My sentiments exactly.
      Sorry what?

Comment

Finding a job in Japan is not all that easy. You'd have a much better chance finding a job in your home country at a company that has a branch office in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
          Finding a job in Japan is not all that easy. You'd have a much better chance finding a job in your home country at a company that has a branch office in Japan.
          I get the impression you don't live in Japan.

I've never had problem finding work in Japan, but that was in my late 20s and early 20s. What I am after is over 40s job hunting experiences, not the opinion of a man who visits Japan occasionally.

Comment

Sorry what?
            We are meat, with a for sale price on our heads, and we must constantly keep making ourselves available to a callous world in order to bring in the cash. It turns people into whores, makes them hate themselves, and makes them hate the competition, which is everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
              We are meat, with a for sale price on our heads, and we must constantly keep making ourselves available to a callous world in order to bring in the cash. It turns people into whores, makes them hate themselves, and makes them hate the competition, which is everyone else.
              WTF are you on about?

Comment

Perhaps you could become a trainer of English teachers!!

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                  Perhaps you could become a trainer of English teachers!!
                  Would prefer not to. Do you have anything constructive to contribute?

Comment

WTF are you on about?
                    Oh...never mind.

Comment

Would prefer not to. Do you have anything constructive to contribute?
                      construction worker??

Comment

Perhaps I should have tried another forum.

Comment

I get the impression you don't live in Japan.

I've never had problem finding work in Japan, but that was in my late 20s and early 20s. What I am after is over 40s job hunting experiences, not the opinion of a man who visits Japan occasionally.
                          It kind of depends on what business you are in. I was actively looking for a position in Japan in my particular industry, and it was difficult.

There is a huge difference between finding work in your 20's versus in your 40's. But I guess you'll figure that out on your own. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
                            It kind of depends on what business you are in. I was actively looking for a position in Japan in my particular industry, and it was difficult.

There is a huge difference between finding work in your 20's versus in your 40's. But I guess you'll figure that out on your own. Good luck.
                            Was the issue lack of Japanese language skills, age or anything else?

Comment

Was the issue lack of Japanese language skills, age or anything else?
                              You seem to have vast knowledge about companies here in Japan, but have a look at the job section on GPot.
                              That will give you an idea of how much salaries have dropped(in my opinion)over the last twenty years.
                              Sorry, I didn't catch what field you're in, but as you also know, Japanese companies will try and squeeze whatever they can out of you at as little of a cost to them if they can get away with it.

I'm guessing you're probably in the anger management field, so good luck with whatever issues present themselves in your search for happiness and wealth in Japan!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X