Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Bringing a small dog to japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a small dog to japan

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm sorry it it's not.

I want to study japanese in Japan and I found a nice school in Osaka, but I am a bit concerned over the dog. I would like to bring him if it's possible (2kg, pomeranian, not large at all). I can probably have him as handbaggage on the plane.
    But is it easy to find apartments that accept dogs?
    I'm unsure if I will stay for 6 month or 1 year, but it's to hard to just leave the dog behind. He is a very nice dog, doesn't bark or so when I leave him. But I'm a bit afraid that the days will be to long for him to handle. Maybe I should leave him behind when going?
    Also it seems very hard to bring the dog to the country as he needs to be left at some airport place for 12 hours to see if he got any rabies?

I feel so thorn about this matter, I really do want to bring him.

The key is whether your dog comes from a rabies-free 'designated region' (Australia, New Zealand) or not.
    If not, you have to have a microchip implanted, a rabies shot, etc. The preparations take about half a year.
    Check here : http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html

Almost all apartments (especially cheaper ones with thin walls) have a 'no pets' policy. Some people still keep them (often cats, hamsters, fish or similar who are kept inside and make no noise), but if found out, you will find yourself in trouble.
    I am afraid you have to chose between your dog or Japan. Make sure to get your priorities right.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      The key is whether your dog comes from a rabies-free 'designated region' (Australia, New Zealand) or not.
      If not, you have to have a microchip implanted, a rabies shot, etc. The preparations take about half a year.
      Check here : http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html

Almost all apartments (especially cheaper ones with thin walls) have a 'no pets' policy. Some people still keep them (often cats, hamsters, fish or similar who are kept inside and make no noise), but if found out, you will find yourself in trouble.
      I am afraid you have to chose between your dog or Japan. Make sure to get your priorities right.
      I was afraid so. I don't want to make that decision as both are really important to me.
      I come from Sweden, but he already does have a microchip implanted (law to have that here). He do need rabies shot tho and to wait those 180 days or so to check before if he got rabies and so on. I can actually deal with that, but I feel terrible leaving him all day long alone in an apartment.
      Is it normal in Japan that someone else watch over another's animal during the day? Like a dog walker or such. That would help me a lot.

As for the apartment, he is smaller than a cat (he's 2kg and a "normal" cat is about 3-5kg) but if the landlord says no pets then I guess that doesn't matter..
      He is my best friend, always by my side. Really hard to pick just like that.
      Thanks for your reply anyway, all thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Miyasaki View Post
        I I feel terrible leaving him all day long alone in an apartment.
        Is it normal in Japan that someone else watch over another's animal during the day? Like a dog walker or such. That would help me a lot.
        He is my best friend, always by my side. Really hard to pick just like that.
        How are you organizing that at the moment ? With a friend ? If you work in a company would you expect that you can bring your dog to work as well ?
        Japan has a fairly developed service industry, so if you pay, you can find anything (expect something like Y 1,000/hr for private such as a neighborhood kid and Y 2,500/hr for professional service).
        I think the key would be a 'dog-friendly apartment'. Maybe the school can support you ?

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
          In Tokyo?

There are plenty of pet- friendly apartments to be found in Osaka, where it would seem the OP is hoping to head.

I even kept my dog in a 'No pets' apartment (there were plenty of other owners there, too) which the landlord knew about but never commented on. Business is business.

You probably mean well, but your painting the wrong picture for the OP.
          There's absolutely no need to 'Choose between your dog and Japan'- That's overdramatizing and misinforming.

Miyasaki, It's easy to keep a pet in Osaka. The big hurdle is the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by rei View Post
            In Tokyo?

There are plenty of pet- friendly apartments to be found in Osaka, where it would seem the OP is hoping to head.

I even kept my dog in a 'No pets' apartment (there were plenty of other owners there, too) which the landlord knew about but never commented on. Business is business.

There's absolutely no need to 'Choose between your dog and Japan'- That's overdramatizing and misinforming.

Sorry, but I'm in Tokyo and I agree with what you're saying.
            There are plenty of 'pet's ok' places by me. Especially newer places. (READ: a little expensive)
            There are even buildings that have special "pet ok" elevators so that people who have allergies or hate pets, don't have to ride with them.
            Pet cafes so you can eat with your pet....or eat your pet, I've no idea.
            YES, some older places probably wont allow pets, but the newer places are more flexible.
            As an owner, they need to choose between a rented apartment with a pet or an empty 'pet free' apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by rei View Post
              In Tokyo?

That is great to hear, I was afraid it would be a big problem to just find an apartment. Well, it still might not be easy, but it feels a bit better. I believe I can handle the paperwork, I'll just get that first rabies shot for him in these days so that is passed for now.
              I will get some help finding an apartment so I hope we will find a pet-friendly one. I've also googled some pet sitters because I don't really like the pet hotels, if I do need one. And yes, Osaka is my destination.

Just a quick question, what about insurance for dogs? They do exist in Japan right? Also, is there any common diseases/parasites that I should look out for if any of you know?

rei:
              I don't want to eat my pet, hehe. Or really bring him to a cafe, but I do want to have him with me to Japan.

Comment

Isnt the old joke that real estate agents used to put "Dogs and Gaijin OK" on many of their apartments?

Comment

Originally posted by tokyo_dom View Post
                  Isnt the old joke that real estate agents used to put "Dogs and Gaijin OK" on many of their apartments?
                  It was not a joke, it was true !

Comment

Working...
                  X