Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How long does it takes to get arubaito work-permit in tokyo ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it takes to get arubaito work-permit in tokyo ?

I'm planning to study in japan this august [Language School] so could anyone tell me how long it takes to get arubaito work-permit in tokyo ? and I've got N2 is it easy to find jobs ? how much I can earn per month ?

Thank you for answering

Originally posted by testermaster View Post
    I'm planning to study in japan this august [Language School] so could anyone tell me how long it takes to get arubaito work-permit in tokyo ? and I've got N2 is it easy to find jobs ? how much I can earn per month ?

Thank you for answering
    A student visa will allow you to work 15 ~ 20 hours per week X 4 @ 850 yen per hour

Comment

It takes as long as it takes. Sorry, but there is no set time limit to go by. Many schools, however, will not allow you to apply for permission to work (a necessity for student visa holders) for the first 3 months or so that you study there. I suspect that's because they want to be sure you are here to study, not seek full-time employment.

N2 is a good level of Japanese, far better than what most newbies have. What sort of job were you hoping for?

As for wages, I thought 720 yen/hr was minimum wage, AW1. It's what my uni pays PT student workers anyway.

Comment

If you're confident and rebellious enough, you can apply for the permit yourself directly at immigration, then let the school know once they've granted you one. Not advisable, but not against any rules.

I thought PT jobs in Tokyo go closer to 950yen?
        I remember passing by a few conbinis and remarking how the PT jobs pay so much more in Tokyo than in Kobe. Most I've seen here are 800~850yen. 750 if it's in the sticks.

Glen, my school paid 745 for student workers in 2010, I heard it went up 15yen in the last couple of years due to 'changing economic circumstances'. I was rather surprised it didn't go down considering the reason given. Still, a pittance nonetheless.

Comment

Iamsen,
          My school paid 700 yen until last semester, after which students got 720. Weird.

You can't get special permission unless you have an employer lined up, I think. If you LSO need school approval, I wouldn't advise putting them on the pot with a job in hand after the school said wait. Bad form and it could potentially lead to a big NO on their part.

Comment

My school used to handle these things in batches at the beginning of the academic year. I missed my first renewal and they told me I could get it done at immigration by myself. I wasn't doing any regular PT jobs then, mostly odd jobs that last a week or so. They told me to leave the occupation fields blank. I don't recall being asked for any proof either. That was in the mid 2000s, things may have changed since.

I agree with not messing with the school, especially a language school. I think the rules for language students are a lot more stringent and being a newcomer to the country, the OP will depend a lot on the school for advice and help handling paperwork. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Comment

Are we talking about the Student Exchange program whereby the Student is allow to spend a semester x 2 = I year on language studies , attends class at a recognized collage for the minimum 15 hours per week and is allowed 15 hours P/T work ?

Have I been overpaying my lot ? Somebody give me a slap.

Comment

I thought it was 28 hours a week?

http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/inj/inj03e.html

I've asked gogonihon.com to sort out a work permit together with my student visa and school applications. I don't know how long it'll take or if there are any limits on how much a student can make though.

Comment

According to the Ministry's immigration web site it's 28 hr/wk:
                  http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/te...hikakugai.html

Comment

Never looked at any of those sites to check on a persons working permits , just took my wife's word that it was "OK" to have people on board and to be honest we have had part timers for the past twenty odd years ... long before we had an internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                      According to the Ministry's immigration web site it's 28 hr/wk:
                      http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/te...hikakugai.html
                      Another difference is that language students (就学生) are only allowed to work up to 4 hours a day while college students (留学生) are allowed up to 8 hours a day. I don't remember whether or not the weekly hours are the same, though I definitely worked more than 8 hours a day, 28 hours a week when I was in uni. Now that I think about it, I was more of a paato (non-FT staff) than a baito (PT staff).

Comment

Originally posted by iamsen View Post
                        Another difference is that language students (就学生) are only allowed to work up to 4 hours a day while college students (留学生) are allowed up to 8 hours a day. I don't remember whether or not the weekly hours are the same, though I definitely worked more than 8 hours a day, 28 hours a week when I was in uni. Now that I think about it, I was more of a paato (non-FT staff) than a baito (PT staff).
                        I think I am going to go with you a little as I have sat in with one of our home stayers some time back while immigration finger printed one of our lads and was given the thumbs up for a 3 hour(day) work stint. Maybe its four hours ?

Comment

Anyway who cares if young somebody wants to stay out all night working and pulls a bit of crumpet at the end of a shift . As long as the till is ringing. I am David Bowie "Dancing in the Street"

Comment

Working...
                          X